#10, First Carroll Bb/f

RP3

Today I received from Wally Carroll the first Bb/F to come out of his shop. And it is outstanding and beautiful. At the 2004 Midwest NHICS class, I had been able to play and was very impressed with all three of the first instruments he made for sale, so I expected he would do a fine job. Well he did much better than that!

Despite being "flat pitch", #10 has very crisp and quick response. The tone is exquisite and the action is precise and light. I thought I would really like the tone and pitch of a Bb/F when I ordered it, and this new Carroll has a full, warm tone! I have bulky, farmerlike hands and Wally adapted the palmrest to fit my hands. The finish on the rosewood ends is smooooth and really shows off the wood too. He's putting in a lot of work there.

All in all, Wally is doing an outstanding job of producing a modern-day instrument with the rich sound of a vintage Wheatstone and the wonderful playability of a modern action. If my experience is any indication, anyone on his waiting list is going to be really pleased when their instrument is delivered. It's worth the wait!

Ross Schlabach

Sorry Paul but two things are keeping me from posting pictures: 1) I'm having too much fun playing the concertina to stop and take pictures, and 2) I haven't figured how to post them since I don't currently have a homepage on which to store them.

But I must say that there's not a lot of difference between the general appearance of mine and the previous ones featured on Wally's website - other than a different finish which is really nice. Mine's rosewood with a taller palmrest and a slightly different shape to the outside edges of the ends.

If I can rustle up the time to take some pics, I may call for some assistance in posting them.

Ross Schlabach

Sorry Paul but two things are keeping me from posting pictures: 1) I'm having too much fun playing the concertina to stop and take pictures, and 2) I haven't figured how to post them since I don't currently have a homepage on which to store them.

You don't have to have a home page for a picture or two - you can just upload them to this site. People use home pages for their pet photo projects, but one or two pics can be put up as attachments to a post here :) .

Samantha