Warm Fuzzies

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,--I'm the new kid on the block-(that is to the forum)- and this is the first time I have ever sent anything to any discussion group. I dont have any "warm fuzzy,s" to give you other than reading your's, but I do have a question. I would very much like to know if anyone of you live any where near my location. I live in central Nebraska and would really like to get together and do some jamming. I have been playing the concertina for several year's now but have never met anyone around here that also play's play's or own's one---Ronf

Warm Fuzzy: Yesterday morning I went for a walk with my mother and grandmother. When we returned we were standing in the driveway, just talking and enjoying the morning when my mother asked me to get my concertina and play a few tunes. After doing so my Grandmother (she's 88) asked if I knew any "older tunes". I asked her to give suggestions. She began singing different songs, some I remembered as a child, others I had never heard before. I play by ear so am able to pick out a tune, at least the simple melody, very quickly. We sang and played several old tunes and the look on her face as she sang them along with my simple playing was priceless. It was so evident in her expression that she was enjoying the fond memories that the songs brought. It was also creating a memory for me that will always be "warm and fuzzy".

Steve,

Thank you for another heartwarmer. I have had similar experiences and know several concertina players who often sing (and lead sing-alongs) at retirement homes and care facilities. Concertinas are perfect instruments for the popular songs of that generation due to their portability, volume, expressiveness, and even their "period" (with the different types originating in the 19th through early 20th centuries).

Can you share with us where she grew up and some of the songs the both of you remembered?

Paul

Hi All,--I'm the new kid on the block-(that is to the forum)- and this is the first time I have ever sent anything to any discussion group. I dont have any "warm fuzzy,s" to give you other than reading your's, but I do have a question. I would very much like to know if anyone of you live any where near my location. I live in central Nebraska and would really like to get together and do some jamming. I have been playing the concertina for several year's now but have never met anyone around here that also play's play's or own's one---Ronf

Ronf-

You may not find any concertina players in your part of town, but you might have better luck searching out fiddle players. Concertina and fiddle is a much nicer combination (to my mind) than more than one concertina playing together.

Good luck, and let us know what you find.

Can you share with us where she grew up and some of the songs the both of you remembered?

Paul

She grew up in Alabama, in a small town east of Montgomery. The songs that we were singing/playing were "Let me call you sweetheart"(her favorite), "Tennessee Waltz"(my departed Grandfather's favorite), and several songs that she used to sing to us as children that I just don't know the names of. They may have been made up by her or another family member. Also a couple of old instrumental tunes, "Turkey in the straw" and one that I think is called "Under the double eagle".

Paul

She grew up in Alabama, in a small town east of Montgomery. The songs that we were singing/playing were "Let me call you sweetheart"(her favorite), "Tennessee Waltz"(my departed Grandfather's favorite), and several songs that she used to sing to us as children that I just don't know the names of. They may have been made up by her or another family member. Also a couple of old instrumental tunes, "Turkey in the straw" and one that I think is called "Under the double eagle".

Yep. Under the Double Eagle, originally an Austrian military march, is a favorite bluegrass or old country instrumental tune, often as a flatpicked guitar solo.

It is strange this music and emotion.As an English man the American National Anthem does nothing for me, but I must admit when the Queen asked for it to be played soon after 11/9 in the grounds of Buckingham Palace, I joined in with the tears of the American visitors and others that stood outside to watch.

Regards

Alan

I agree, Alan. I think sometimes music has context.

Eric, I didn't know Under the Double Eagle was originally an Austrian tune. I've played it on my hammer dulcimer in the mountains of West Virginia.

Helen

Steve,

Thanks! Do you think you could unobtrusively get a portable tape recorder near her for the next one of these "remembered tunes" sessions? Particularly the unique family songs may prove precious to you and others (even outside the family). But also the homemade versions of more familiar tunes may have their own uniqueness that should be preserved - if you can do it without spoiling the moment. Sometimes a few days after a session like this, an older person will come back with even more music.

Paul

I agree, Alan. I think sometimes music has context.

Eric, I didn't know Under the Double Eagle was originally an Austrian tune. I've played it on my hammer dulcimer in the mountains of West Virginia.

Helen

I have it on a tape of German and Austrian regimental band music I picked up in Germany years ago. It's been so absorbed into the tradition in America, most folks think "double eagle' refers to the old U.S. 20-dollar gold piece, but actually it refers to that two-headed bird you see on old imperial logos from central Europe. Unter dem Doppeladler (grammar?) is the original title, I believe.

Wow, Eric, that's great.

It just seems so odd to me that something I learned in the back woods came from so far away.

Do you know anything about Blackberry Blossom? I really love that tune and I learned it in West Virginia also.

Helen

PS I realize you knew about the other tune because you had it on a tape, but who knows, you might have hidden reservoirs of knowledge. Or someone else might.

Thanks again.

It just seems so odd to me that something I learned in the back woods came from so far away.

Not strange at all. *Lots* of common Appalachian tunes came originally from Ireland, Scotland, or elsewhere. In other parts of the US tunes might have come from Germany, Sweden, or some other European country, as well, yet remain in circulation after more than 200 years. Soldier's Joy is my favorite for this, since it seems to be considered a "local" tune almost everywhere, including not only England, Ireland, and Scotland, but Finland and Poland, that I know of.

Sometimes independent origin can't be entirely ruled out. I have a recording of the Moisieyev Ukrainian Dance Company where one of the dance tunes is precisely that of the children's song I know as I'm a little teapot. :)

Do you know anything about Blackberry Blossom?
I belive that one really is an American tune, but I have no idea of the exact origin.

Oh boy, I'm gonna regret this, but I tap danced on television to I'm a little teapot when I was a very little child.

Maybe David won't see this and harrass me forever. ANYWAY, I'm responding to Jim.

I knew Appalachian tunes came from Ireland and Scotland, I just never thought of Austria as an origin. That is so neat.

And Soldier's Joy being thought of as original in so many countries is awesome.

Edited by Helen