24 Button Anglos

:( :) ,

Hello Henk,

I am asking for 8 tones, not only four, we speak about 4 additional buttons to an Anglo, which diatonic , or push/pull

:D :D

But serious again :

I believe that Frank Edgley, porposes a 24 button instrument, addinto the folowing tones, on tthe folowoing buttons :

C - row : (buttob 6´as you describe it) A# (Bb) / C' / (left Hand)

(Button 7´) C#/D#

G-Row : F' #/ G#

I think this F# is the lower one,which you wopuld on buttopn 2 on the pul, left hand

Right hand first button F# on the push and one more pull C#

His reasons seem to be that he wants to optimize zthe Concertina for Irish Music, particularly.

I agree with Bb, C#, D# and F# on the pull eventually the lower one and the jhigher opne.

I would like to campare this idea and proposal to the ones Lachenal or others may hova chosen.

Myself I would like to have a push A and a pull G, perhaps more than the Doubl or triple C#.

Thank you Henk for giving your comment, any other idea ?

Regards

JOachim

I understand also the push and pullk C#

:) In continuation, since I forgot it to say :

The four notes you mention in any case, me too, I would include those. The other four reeds, which ?

Joachim

:) Can anybody please tell me, which are the notes, one can expect to find on a 24 button Anglo Concertina, as Lachenal and others have built ?

The early tutors I have don't indicate a 24-button layout. The next after 20-buttons is 26, with a 3-button third row in each hand. The indicated layout is the same as that on an old 26-button Lachenal currently in my possession:

Left hand push/pull:

C#/D#(Eb), A/G, G#/A#(Bb)

Right hand push/pull:

C#/D#(Eb), A/G, G#/A#(Bb)

I.e., it's the "inner" 3 buttons of the standard 30-button "Wheatstone" layout in each hand, the three buttons in the right hand being an octave above the corresponding three in the left hand. Note that neither hand has an F# on the push.

I believe Frank Edgley's 24-button layout is quite different, with two 6-button rows in each hand, and no third row. I think someone may have posted or described his layout somewhere on C.net, but I don't have time to look for it at the moment.

Thank you Jim for your information.

Ihave seen several 24 button Lachenals on ebay., always as 3 row instruments.

I am asking the information, since I pretend to extend 4 instruemtns, recentlc made, relatively well made, in relationship to its price, from 20 buttons to 24 buttons. Mantaining the actual form oif constructiuon, particularly, the reed blocks, as they are, there is not more space available for adding more than two reed plates on each side.

Using standard parts from The original maker.

This means it will be twp rows of six buttons on each side.

I think the sdescription I have given about Frank Edgleys Layout for a 24 button concertina is correcdt

and if so, then there are at all 3 x C# two times on the pull and one on the push.

HIs layout is described as especially adapted or appriated for Irish Music.

Thanks and regards

Joachim

Hello Joachim and everyone in this thread,

Ihave seen several 24 button Lachenals on ebay., always as 3 row instruments.

I own 22-button Lachenal which is 2-row instrument.

C-row with 6-buttons and G-row with 5 buttons.

The accidental notes are:

LEFT hand side

G#/A#(Bb)

RIGHT hand side

C#/D#(Eb)

(push/pull)

for your information ...

Regards,

--

Takayuki YAGI :)

:) Thank you Takayuki Yagi,

As for adding at 4 buttons to my 20 button instruments, I must move the reedblocks in order to creat the necessarty, space, I had meanwhile thought that for first trial I shall only add 2 buttons, exactly as you 6 buttons C row, 6 g-row and exactly, this otes.

Thank you for the usfuel information

Kind regards

Joachim

Let me add slightly related note.

I'd like to start new topic, but by some reason I couldn't find how. It is especially strange as I already started two topics on this site.

Anyways, I hope you forgive me.

Anybody can give me the insides on the idea of Semitone tuned 20 button layout for conceritna?

I asked this question on accordion NG and there is some discussion, but I thought you guys will be better qualified.

Say, C/C#, or A/A#, or B/C?

What would be the potential playability of such a thing?

Away from irish style. Say, generally folk, Yiddish, Mediterranian. Or french musette, contemporary tunes. Not intended to play in all the keys or jump keys.

Would it be worth to try to assemple one out of some cheap parts, like old german 20 button cabinet and some old Hohner accordion reeds. A typical accordion assembly has two reeds, tuned slightly differently. Wouldn't it be doable to take a reedblock, say, in C, and use C reeds for what they are, and other (slihtly sharp already) set tune a semitone up. It wouldn't ruin the reeds, right? Or cheaper to order some Weltmeister reeds in the right tuning and just slightly touch them up.

Thanks.

Let me add slightly related note.

I'd like to start new topic, but by some reason I couldn't find how. It is especially strange as I already started two topics on this site.

Anyways, I hope you forgive me.

I'm interested in commenting on this, but I'll ask you to repost it as a new topic.

1) go to http://www.concertina.net/forums/

2) click on the appropriate forum (either General or Instrument Construction, probably the latter, but please folks, let's not start debating that here)

3) You'll see a button (to the upper right of the list of current topics on my browser, scroll around if you can't see it) "New Topic." Click it.

Ken Coles

• 15 years later...
On 10/25/2005 at 4:14 PM, Takayuki YAGI said:

Hello Joachim and everyone in this thread,

I own 22-button Lachenal which is 2-row instrument.

C-row with 6-buttons and G-row with 5 buttons.

The accidental notes are:

LEFT hand side

G#/A#(Bb)

RIGHT hand side

C#/D#(Eb)

(push/pull)

for your information ...

Regards,

--

Takayuki YAGI :)

I presume I never have replied proprly to your nformation, which  now re-reading afer yeas, looks to me very useful.

Have you modified your own 20 buton instrument to 22 button one, Is it a En glish type made A ngo or pernhaps a GErmna one.

Could i get some phot of the ouside and inside s ?

Thaml you in advacne for your kind attention.

By the way I enjoyed lstenting your playng on Youtube.

Kind regards

Joachim Delp

14 hours ago, JoachimDelp said:

Have you modified your own 20 buton instrument to 22 button one, Is it a En glish type made A ngo or pernhaps a GErmna one.

Could i get some phot of the ouside and inside s ?

I do not have inside photo currently. But I believe it has 22 button originally (not modified from 20 button) and have English type construction not German one.

ssR0013908.jpg.63b0ccacf8d0f23a06d0f0f3694f545e.jpg

19 minutes ago, Takayuki YAGI said:

I do not have inside photo currently. But I believe it has 22 button originally (not modified from 20 button) and have English type construction not German one.

ssR0013908.jpg.63b0ccacf8d0f23a06d0f0f3694f545e.jpg

Thank you very muhc for your reply and foto of Concertina.

Thank you very much for your kind reply and  nice foto of the 22 button concertina, I would say it is a Lachnal.

You helped with your information, you sent me years ago.

I shall try to try to realze such a modification, if i succedd postively, I may inform hjere.🙂

Hi all,

Don Smith sent an email regarding a 24 button Lachenal I bought from him a decade ago and asked if I would forward the information to this discussion. 

My pre1900 Lachenal has 12 buttons on either side. The four additional notes are located at the top on either side. To play it (G/C) in a regular manner you simply slide both hands down one button. To add any of the additional notes you simply move your index finger up one button. 

The notes are as listed below:

Bass side   C-Row  G# push/Bb draw

G-Row  E push/F draw

Treble side   C-Row  C#push/Eb draw

G-Row  A push/G draw

I hope this is helpful. Any other questions? 

Dave