My New Edgley

Well my new Edgley 30 button c/g arrived 6 days ago! I can't begin to tell you how excited I was waiting for the delivery and I was like a kid at Christmas opening up the box. Many thanks Frank.

After struggling with my horrible little chinese squeeze box for about a year - playing the Edgley is like sipping fine wine. It sounds great, the buttons are easy and I'm not pumping my arm muscles and running out of air, like I was on that old Chinese thing. Still, at least with the year I put in, I did learn the buttons and stuff, so I had the basics.

Checking Frank's tutor/methods book has also opened up a whole new world for me, as I'm struggling here to learn on my own. I've started fiddling with the embellishments already with Dan Callaghans Polka and it's all making a lot of sense.

Many thanks to the people on the forum who advised me last year about concertinas, and special thanks again to Henk for showing me his concertinas in Holland and for his ongoing support.

I've been in contact with the HK Morris and I hope to get down to one of their meetings in about a month. I was told there were two concertina players with the Morris, so hoping to make contact. Also, an old friend arrived recently in HK who plays, and he's getting his "squeezebox" as he calls it, sent over, so we can put in some practice together Maybe we will get a little concertina group going here - maybe even a HK Squeeze-In down the track!!

I was envious of the people who made it to the Aran squeeze-in. I wish I could have been there. Thanks Henk for sending me the update on it and the site. My holiday dates here never seem to co-incide with any squeeze-ins, and of course it's a long way to travel and can't be done from here on a weekend. BUT.... I am determined to get to a squeeze-in some time down the track. I think at this stage I need another year or so to practice a bit more before I'd want to play with other people!

Problem is, by the time I get home from work, I just don't seem to get enough time in to practice. As soon as I get in the door, I'm looking to pull out my Edgley and I'm staying up late to practice and suffering lack of sleep. Can't get over how smooth it feels and I'm amazed at the fine workmanship and the detail.

And I'm very excited checking the details about the Anglo International CD. I'll be ordering it this week.

If anyone is stopping off in HK en route somewhere - let me know.

cheers and best wishes to you all,

Pauline Claire - in Hong Kong.

Isn't it great when the acquisition of a new instrument gives a boost to your enthusiasm and ability levels! I presume you have checked out the International Concertina Association's Events Calendar to see if there is anything going on which you could get to?

Anyway, it's nice to think of you squeezing away over there, and good to hear that you have some company, too! Perhaps you and Morgana should get together to organise a Pacific Rim squeeze-in :) !

Samantha

Congratulations on your newest friend! I understand about the sleep deprivation! I've been known to get up in the early, early morning and sit in the cellar next to the furnace, squeezing away, since the others in my house keep very different hours (my son goes to be at 2 am, I get up at 5:15!).

Meeting other player is more inspiration. good luck in all the ways you find to continue to enjoy your Edgely!

Allison