Sony Mz-rh10 Himd Recorder For Sale

Michael Eskin

Hi y'all,

For Sale: As-new Sony MZ-RH10 HiMD recorder, this is their top-end unit that supports both microphone and line-in based recording, bright OLED display, very long battery life, and USB upload capability of recordings. I used it for only about 6 hours of recording at the Noel Hill workshop in Oregon. It is essentially as new with the orginal box, purchased from the Sony Style store in San Diego back in May of this year. I take very good care of my toys!

Here's the full info on the Sony site:

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/+INTERSHOP...oductSKU=MZRH10

I'm moving exclusively to all flash-memory based portable recording solutions. The MZ-RH10 is an amazing unit, makes outstanding recordings that can be uploaded to the PC via USB. However, it is just very much extra for me at this point. If you are already using standard MD, you can either continue to use them in the HiMD recorder, or reformat them to HiMD format and double their record times for the same recording quality when used in the RH10.

Upload time of live recordings via USB is not super fast, but it does work as advertised. You can also download both Sony format and .mp3 files to the discs for portable playback. The Sony software only supports Windows based PCs, not Mac.

Price including all original accessories, three 1 GB HiMD discs, and a 2-year extended Sony replacement warranty is $240 plus insured UPS shipping. PayPal accepted.

Please email with any questions!

Cheers,

Michael

I'm moving exclusively to all flash-memory based portable recording solutions.

Fascinating - looks a great bit of kit. But can you give an example of "all flash-memory based portable recording solutions"?

I fancy something like that myself!

I'm moving exclusively to all flash-memory based portable recording solutions.

Fascinating - looks a great bit of kit. But can you give an example of "all flash-memory based portable recording solutions"?

I fancy something like that myself!

Hi, Tom -

I discovered this baby recently - could that be it? It's a Roland product.

Cheers,

/Henrik

eskin,

How do you like the MicroTrack? It looked good to me from the specs but it has been slammed in some early reviews. I heard there was a firmware upgrade but have not heard if this was successful.

Interested to hear how it is working for you.

Paul

PS someone buy his Sony, that's a great unit :)

Edited by Paul Groff

If you want info on minidiscs go to http://www.minidisc.org

Its a slightly hard navigate but this sub page http://www.minidisc.org/equipment_browser.html is worthwhile as a comparison guide.

I have an NH1 minidisc, which is roughly the same specs as the one for sale above, slightly better I think, and it is a joy to own. You can fit about 50 CDs on one HiMD disc at listenable quality. The upload interface with a PC is relatively easy.

Chris

eskin,

How do you like the MicroTrack? It looked good to me from the specs but it has been slammed in some early reviews. I heard there was a firmware upgrade but have not heard if this was successful.

Interested to hear how it is working for you.

Paul

PS someone buy his Sony, that's a great unit :)

The test recordings I've made were amazing, and that was using the supplied T mike. Battery life looks to be about 4 or 5 hours continuous when using the supplied mike. There are some firmware bugs that have to do with how the meters display, but nothing so far that effects the recordings themselves for what I'm doing (live sessions).

The Marantz, M-audio and the Edirol R-1 are all great machines. Yeah, flash cards are the way to go but the only draw back that I have found with them is the fact that the only on location editing that can be done is deleting. That's right! It is impossible to punch in track #'s on the fly either in record or playback. So, what you have at the end of a recording is either lost beginnings of segments because you have to stop record and then start record to get a new track # or you have to break it down on the computer with sound management software.

The R-1 has a feature that automatically puts a track where there is a few seconds sound delay but after recording Noel Hill's student concert last August with that feature I had around 180 tracks in about an hour. The mic's don't pick up every noise and think that it is a sound pause and you have a cutoff and then a new track. When I put this on my computer to sort it out it didn't make any difference whether I used the auto track or did the track marks manually....I still ended up with cut offs and the abrupt starts because of the recording startup delay from the noise activation.

I think that this flash card technology is on to something because what I heard was alot warmer than I thought it would be and I didn't use any of the onboard effects or eq-ing. I guess we will all just have to be the guinee pigs and put the shortcomings in the product reviews until they decide that everyone that is serious enough to by these handy little field recorders will be willing to pay a little extra for the track marking capability. It would certainly make life easier and cut down on editing time.

Steve