Jeffries Centenary

Jim there is being organised by Graham a possible large concert or concerts re Anglo International next year ,it could easily be incorporated ,but if another specific Jeffries event would be preffered, then I would understand.

Al

We would certainly welcome a contribution about him in PICA...........a concert at the Graduate Center could be tough. . . .we're already commited for both 2005 and 2007. . . . .and our budget simply won't allow more than one event of that nature per year. . . . .

17 march 2006: VIVA REGONDI, with Douglas Rogers, Wim Wakker, Allan Atlas, Alexander Dunn (guitar), Elizabeth Bell (soprano), and pianists Joanne Last and Jin-Ok Lee. . . . .an all-Regondi evening. . . .for both concertina and guitar. . . .

program will end with a bit of noise: R's arrangement of music from La Traviata for two trebles, baritone, and piano

SPRING 2007: THE IRISH SQUEEZEBOX IN NEW YORK. . . . .three papers about the place of the concertina and accordion in Irish music. . . . . .a concert featuring Gearoid O'hAllmhurain and one other band . . . . . .

Allan

Stephen I am certain someone is doing a history on Jeffries and I think it is Dave Lee.,he certainly mentioned it to me at the Anglo Int launch.Some while ago on this site someone possibly Dave was asking for information on Jeffries with Praed St on them and it was for this project,which I was told is nearly completed.Chris can throw more light on this as he knows Dave.

Al

I think this is a great idea David a concert of Jeffries players, Anglos& Duets.

Al

That would be a fantastic night. There would have to be a "massed band" of Jeffries instruments at the end. And a free hearing-aid given away with the price of the tickets to cope with the inevitable hearing damage!

Now, the real question is: how many performing Jeffries Duet players can we get under one roof... :D

Edited by stuart estell

Jim there is being organised by Graham a possible large concert or concerts re Anglo International  next year ,it could easily be incorporated ,but if another specific Jeffries event would be preffered, then I would understand.

Al

I don't see why the two events couldn't be combined ...

Samantha

Stephen I am certain someone is doing a history on Jeffries and I think it is Dave Lee. - snip - .Chris can throw more light on this as he knows Dave.

I'll ask him next time I see him.

Chris

You don't need to - he's already working on a joint 'thesis' with Stephen, Chris Algar, Bob Gaskins, Randy Merris and I, but like anything put together by a committee, its taking time - hence Stephen's ironics ;) . But I promise that an updated Jeffries Section of 'Dating your Concertina' will be released in time, even if the committee effort doesn't. (I'm aiming for 18th March 2006 (see ** edit), the 40th anniversary of the death of Thomas Jeffries, last survivor of 'Jeffries Bros').

Dave has done some splendid detective work, including locating some photos which I hope will be released in time for the centenary too.

Now, how many Jeffries players would it take to stretch from Paddington Green police station (site of White Lion Passage) to Queen Marys Hospital (site of 102 Praed St)? Could we also use morris dancers as flying pickets? 3 pubs on route?

**Edit: Alan's USA concert will be on the 17th March, but with the time shift between the UK and US, it would be on the 18th (UK time) if its an evening do! Great timing!

Edited by wes williams

FOLKS: it is an evening event. . . .starts at 7:30 P.M. . . . . we'll be sending out publicity. . . .i hope that Paul will actually let me post the publicity flyer right on this website. . . . .

one of the really nice features of the concert: guitarist Alexander Dunn will be playing Regondi's Rêverie. . . which will be followed immediately by Frederick D'Alquen's arrangement of the piece for piano. . . . .i'm sure that this is the first time original and arrangement have ever been heard back to back. . . . .

in fact, so far as we can tell, this may well be the first ever "all-Regondi" concert in the history of mankind...............I know of none from his own lifetime. . . most concerts of that period were of the mish-mash variety..............Allan

FOLKS:  it is an evening event. . . .starts at 7:30 P.M. . . . . we'll be sending out publicity. . . .i hope that Paul will actually let me post the publicity flyer right on this website. . . . .

Allan,

I'm sure I speak for Paul when I say we'd be happy to post your information. Just let us know by email through C.net when your information is ready.

Ken

Dave Elliott has suggested to me we could include a concert/talk as part of 2006 Bradfield Traditional Music Weekend, if there was enough interest.Starting with the weekend's original incarnation,the" English Country Music Weekend 2003" we have always had a strong concertina content.I make this offer even tho I am not a Jeffries fan!