For Sale: Connor 31b G/d Anglo

Chris Timson

Hi,

I shall put pictures up this weekend, if not before, but here is a description to be getting on with.

Connor 31 button G/D anglo - Wheatstone layout. It's black with raised metal ends and Jeffries bellows papers. It has a nice, clear tone and a very slick action indeed. I'm looking for £1800 (plus postage). We live in Bradford on Avon in Wiltshire, so if you want to try it send me a message and we'll set something up.

Chris

Chris

As my interest in (even love for) English Country Music is growing I am interested in buying a G/D concertina.

For my own idea: how do you compare a Conner with concertina's from the modern makers and with a Jeffries?

Lokking forward to picture and maybe soundfiles (?)

Edited by Henk van Aalten

This concertina is now sold. Thanks to everyone who looked.

Henk, it seems to me that you play English music rather well on your C/G Marcus! Anyway, before I sold it I did take a numbers of photos of the Connor for putting up on my web site. I liked it a lot as an instrument, and it caused me to revise my opinion of Connor concertinas sharply upward. I don't believe it was one of his top-of-the-range models, which was reflected in the price I asked for it (and the price I originally paid for it). Nevertheless, I preferred it to any accordion-reeded concertina I have ever played (sorry, Bob, Frank and Rich, but there it is). I believe that "keeper", its new keeper, will have a lot of fun with it.

Chris

I've had a go on a couple of Connors in the last couple of years and they've struck me as being beautifully made if over-engineered, play very well, but VERY heavy. If I was to rate them they would come after my Jeffries and Crabb but probably in front of my Lachenal and maybe on a par with older Wheatstones. Not so sure about matching a modern Dipper though. Certainly well ahead of a Marcus I tried a couple of months ago.

Perhaps we should draw up a league table :P

Good luck with the GD Henk. I'm sure you will enjoy it. I love mine to bits.

Pete

Nevertheless, I preferred it to any accordion-reeded concertina I have ever played (sorry, Bob, Frank and Rich, but there it is).

Frank has correctly pointed out in a private email that I have not yet tried one of his concertinas. A fair point, and I await the chance to do so with great interest.

Chris