New Chris Droney Cd

I was talking to Chris Droney, today, and he gave me the go-ahead to announce his newest recording. Actually, I heard it last summer as he had the first unmastered version at his home in Bell Harbour Co. Clare. It is without a doubt his best ever, and from a pure music and playing perspective will rival the best of the younger hot concertina players. It will be launched very soon, and Chris has promised me a copy as soon as he receives some. It's brilliant, and all the tunes on the CD he has never before recorded. No doubt, it will be available soon from Ossian USA, or your favourite CD source. As soon as I receive my copy I will do a short review on this forum.

Thank you Frank for informming about this coming CD by Chris Droney.

I only own his CD "A fertile Rock", which I am listening quite frequently and is always a fountain of pleasure and enjoyment.

I am not sure where I co0uld get his newest CD, I would be gratzeful for anadvise, where in Ireland I could oprder it.

Regards Frank

Joachim Delp

• 2 years later...

After last nights particularly lovely session I was given Down From Bell Harbour by EC concertinist Tom O'Hare. I popped it into my CD player for the ride home (not often done, for I want to let the evenings' music swirl around me as a postlude).

Slap me stupid, but I'm sure glad I broke with tradition and gave a listen. Beautiful, strong, joyious and honest concertina playing filled my little Honda Fit. The trip to Milford took less time than the CD so I had to sit out in the dark and listen to the end and then go back to a number of cuts.

Mr. Droney is one of those touchstone musicians, keepers of the light that stand as a beacon for those devoted to traditional music. No artifice or outsized ego, just fine playing generously given. The ornaments were lovely and the versions of tunes held a number of delightful surprises for me. A joy from beginning to end.

In our present day concertina world of cross-row wizardry, it's very moving to hear this artist play it straight up and hot.

I've two minor complaints: The overall mix seemed narrow and a bit compressed. The wonderful accompaniment on piano and guitar by Jacinta McEvoy was down in the texture and left me straining to compensate a balance between her and Mr. Droney. Ms. McEvoys obvious respect and regard for him can be heard, but I feel the interaction one would be treated to in a live performance has been dimminished by what I assume is the producers desire for the concertina to be up front.

Just my ten penny bit worth.....

Edited by Mark Evans