Anglophilia Brian Peters

Brian Peters kindly sent me a copy of his latest CD Anglophilia for a listen and I promised him that I would write a report for C.Net so here goes.

Firstly it is very well presented,I like the cover with the Anglo on a candle lit table with a glass of Champagne (Moet & Chandon).The Anglo sitting on a red cushion.

A slight change from the normal Jug of best bitter and a pewter tankard.

Brian throughout this Cd shows his ability with the Anglo and it`s content is interesting,with variety of music changes of styles and absolutely superb arrangements.I particularly enjoy his use of chords at the higher octave (Right hand) and it is an area I must work on.I do not like over produced music and with Brians arrangements when not playing solo, he has not multi tracked, but kept it to the bare minimum two or three tracks.His duets either with two Anglos, or Anglo and guitar are worth buying this Cd for, I really enjoyed these outstanding tracks

I am more of a lover of traditional songs sung with the Anglo, so of the songs my favourite was"Adieu My Lovely Nancy",I was not so keen on "Chips and Fish" and "Accordion", but Brian should not be concerned over my remarks as many will like these and certainly those boffins out there who study tune accompaniment will learn a lot from Brians approach.

Brian was not included in the Anglo International Cd collection due to my fear of including so many UK performers, but I have promised Brian that if we do a follow up he will be the first on my list. I will book a double tracker now.

It is players like Brian who are pushing Anglo playing forward,I wish him every success with this Cd and future projects.

All in all outstanding playing and content,my suggestion would be to buy it.

Al

Having listened to my copy of this CD I would concur with every word of Alan's review (except on "Chips and Fish" - personally I like it. It has long been a staple of Brian's live set and is a cracking piece of Northern music hall). In fact I was intending to write a full review tonight but Alan has beaten me to it. In normal times this CD would be headline news, but at present I was a little concerned it might be lost in the sound and fury surrounding Anglo International - all of it deserved, of course :)

I just think we're very lucky to have so much fine music all at once.

Chris

PS "If we do a follow up"?? I shall set an alarm on my PDA to go off every 6 months, to remind me to ask when the follow up will be along :rolleyes:

Edited to add PPS - This CD has given me a very useful new word, and I am proud to stand up and say, "My name is Chris and I am an anglophiliac".

Edited by Chris Timson

Don't forget that this CD is a must for anyone who likes ragtime on the concertina. Anglophilia includes two excellent examples: "The Entertainer" and "Dallas Rag." It's why I bought it, after hearing Brian play Dallas Rag at the concert in Witney.

Lots of other great music on here too - I don't know how I stand with regard to songs but I know that the melody for "Chips and Fish" has been in my head for a day or two and I'm not tired of it yet :D

Thank you everyone for saying nice things, and to Alan for starting up the thread. Count me in for Anglo International Vol II :D

Just one thing (probably a typo) to correct, Alan: for the concertina duets I am accompanied by an *English* concertina. Know your enemy is my motto. Both treble and baritone were played by Paul Walker, who does actually play Anglo as well, but not on this occasion. However, I did allow myself the indulgence of over-dubbing a second Anglo to create the four-part arrangement of "The Tankard of Ale".

There should be copies in the Button Box at some point. Mark, sorry you can't get good fish and chips in Milford, MA. Asking for that in the States, you will most likely be served a piece of fish accompanied by potato crisps. What you need to order is "fish and freedom fries".

Brian

Totally unrelated to concertinas, apart from a reference to a life-sentence.

I remember seeing some seeing some convict being reprieved from life-imprisonment and his first treat was a "filio fish".

At first hearing, I thought this was some Latin phrase, until he pulled up at the Golden Arches (yes, the M word), and purchased one of the aforementioned rectangles.

Brian Peters kindly sent me a copy of his latest CD Anglophilia for a listen and I promised him that I would write a report for C.Net so here goes.

I am pleased to say that I have just received Brian's new CD for our shop (along with a restock of a few others from his collection!) and they are available now at

http://www.cdroots.com/brianpeters.shtml

cliff furnald

cdRoots, RootsWorld

I I recieved today my copy of Brian´s new CD and if I passed moments of an extraordinayy pleasure listening Anglo International, I am passing again in „Concertina Heven“ eenjoyings Brians playing and arrangements.

 To the comments given here, by diferent more authorised Anglo Connaiseurs and Players, I would like to add :

 Brian says in the booklet, page 2 : " My aim with this record is to allow the Anglo free rein on the kind of music you´d expect it to play, like morris dance tunes or jigs, but also to cajole it intoother aereas it´s less well known for, like slow airs, ragtime, music hall and baroque."

This aim has been fully achieved.

And I would like to say, that for me as slightly advanced beginner on the Anglo this record is an encouragement to persue my aim, which is to improve my playing every day.

I think it is a "must" to listen to this for all us Concertina Players, and not only Anglo Players.

 I like to listen all tunes, all the tracks of this CD, but I would give a special mention to,

 as rarely to be performed on the Anglo,nevertheless

My favourites on this CD are :

1) Kissing Stones and also The Spud-Spattered Piper

2) The Northern Lass

8) Winder Minuets

11)Adieu My Lovely Nancy, fine chords and harmonies

12) Morris Dance Tune

13) The Tankard of Ale

17) The Sweet Sorrow

I think Brian´s playing should be definitively included in a second edition of Anglo Interantional.

Thank you Brian.

:) Allison,

I cannot comment if or not the Cd is tobe found in Button Box.

You can buy it directly from Brian sending him a personal mail or you could order on this homepage

www.harbourtownrecords.com/peters.html

The CD is still not listed in the Order form, but you find there also there e-mail address.

I recommend it to you, I cannot imagine, that you might feel disappointed.

Joachim