Anglo International Cd: A Warning

Be warned: buy this CD and you may find yourself spending huge amounts of time learning amazing tunes you never imagined could be played on an Anglo.

It took me two nights to figure out March from Scipio and get all the chords and bass notes right. St. James Infirmary is a gas to play; it just never occurred to me to try.

I already learned Jody Kruskal's amazing Krazy for Kasha and have played it at sessions around here; people just love it.

This CD is a treasure trove. And no, I'm not on the payroll, if indeed there is a payroll.

I had trouble with the one that goes on the inside of the front cover. This (ie the while carrier part) fell out onto the floor when I first opened it up and I spent a few minutes trying to find out how it hinged in to the other side, before the penny dropped. I guess it hadn't ben fitted properly in the first place because it seems quite secure now.

Clive

Edited by Clive Thorne

Mine came today. Looks lovely. Haven't had a chance to listen yet. It took me until just a little while ago to figure out how to get the 3rd CD out of the jewel case. :)  :)  :ph34r:

These 3-CD cases are diabolical. This one seems sturdier than most. I've broken several, trying to get to the buried 3rd disc.

Note to Alan: I listened carefully to the Gigue as played by Kirkpatrick. I shouldn't have any trouble mastering it, when i grow about 5 extra fingers and when my concertina evolves into a 96 key Anglo.

Man, that guy can play.

And I didn't listen carefully to the Bertram Levy segment until yesterday. His two original tunes are great. His klezmer tune is fun -- easier to play than it sounds!

These 3-CD cases are diabolical. This one seems sturdier than most. I've broken several, trying to get to the buried 3rd disc.

Sorry Jim. A few people have struggled with these cases. To get to the 3rd disc, you pull up the flap from the left hand side, and it hinges out.

I know they are a bit flimsy, but the alternative was to go for a large box set, which would have made the price considerably more. And we wanted to keep it affordable.

Graham

Sorry Jim. A few people have struggled with these cases. To get to the 3rd disc, you pull up the flap from the left hand side, and it hinges out.

I know they are a bit flimsy, but the alternative was to go for a large box set, which would have made the price considerably more. And we wanted to keep it affordable.

No, I wasn't complaining; I thought these cases were BETTER than the average 3-CD contraption. I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to get it open, first try, without it falling apart.

I wasn't so lucky with a 3 CD blues collection I bought last year. When I pulled the center section out, the entire thing flew apart. Now it's just a heap of plastic on top of my stereo.

I am absolutely amazed that you noticed this alphabetical listing David,it just shows how neat and arranged your mind is compared to mine, which would never have noticed this in a million years.

My wife also says I am one of the most unobservant people she has ever met and wonders why I ever watch crimewatch,as even if I was present I would not remember anything about it.

I do have other concertina matters to think about however so that is my excuse,but I do not argue this point.

Al :blink:

Anybody notice that the performers' bios are in alphabetical order by first name (except the sisters)?

Isn't that the style in the UK? I've seen that in several other CDs from over the pond

I suddenly spotted that after first looking by last name. Last name order is usual in the U.K.

- John Wild

It was in fact Graham and I intention that no performer on this collection would get star billing and this must be the way Graham or the printer decided to list them in the book.

Al

Oh, I see. Then we are to attach no meaning to the fact that "Alan" happens to pop out as the first name in alphabetical order. :)