Cleaning Body Fluids From A 'tina

Okay, so my @#$*& cat pee'd on my Jackie...(stop that laughing, all of you!)...I've wiped the exterior woodwork with a damp cloth, and though the soft case took the brunt, it still smells "not so fresh" on the push. I can't imagine that anything was actually projected into the works, but probably took on the odor due to contact with the wetted bag's end. Is there any "approved" method of cleaning a concertina? I'm airing it out, but WHOOOO! any advice would be appreciated.

(Braces himself for the inevitable ridicule and derision at being so careless).

(Braces himself for the inevitable ridicule and derision at being so careless).

So careless as to have a cat?

Or to have been playing it such that the cat would build up a grudge? :o

Cat urine -- particularly the urine of male cats -- is notorious as being one of the most obnoxious and ineradicable odors on this planet. Ordinary laundering normally leaves "marked" clothes unwearable. There are products advertised to remove the smell from carpets and upholstery, but the one I tried some years ago did a p*ss-poor job. Since then I haven't needed to see if any others do better, but if some urine has soaked into the wood, they probably wouldn't help anyway.

I think the first thing you need to do is open up the instrument and find out exactly where the smell is coming from and how strong it is at the source. Then maybe someone with more experience than I have would be able to suggest a treatment. (Baking soda bath? Bonfire?) :ph34r:

Greg, you've stepped in it now. I don't think any solution will work other than Jim's suggestion of a bonfire. I had a very nice little VW Golf ruined by a neighbor's tom cat who got in through the sunroof. Every humid day it took on that smell with a vengence....mee-yow!

Just play down wind of folks. :(

Edited by Mark Evans

As Frank Suggested, Nature's Miracle works great on Cat "oders". I had to use it all over my car after taking the cat to be fixed (Yes the cat was in a carrier, but he found ways to spray everywhere.

Should we equate your playing to a visit to the vet? :lol:

Just kidding ;)

Kimberly

Definately open the 'tina up and get it aired. If anything has got inside, remember, cat pee is corrosive! Wiping it round with a citronella soaked cloth would help get rid of the smell a bit, but don't soak the wood or leather as citronella oil is auto-combustable and can cause bonfires as it drys out :(

Definately open the 'tina up and get it aired. If anything has got inside, remember, cat pee is corrosive! Wiping it round with a citronella soaked cloth would help get rid of the smell a bit..

What a disaster - I've immediately cased up my Lachenal and stuck it on a high shelf - one of my cats really hates the noise and I hope this doesn't give it ideas!

How about opening it up and filling it with baking soda - mind you that's also a bit corrosive if damp? Time maybe the only solution - possibly several years.

Chris

What a disaster - I've immediately cased up my Lachenal and stuck it on a high shelf - one of my cats really hates the noise and I hope this doesn't give it ideas!

Well, this particular evil little tomcat has an interesting way of expressing disapproval....if he lives, I'll be more careful around him from now on.

I'll open it up and see what's what in there. It seems better today, so maybe things aren't totally dire...

I guess, when it comes down to it, that's what Jackies are for (sorry, Wim  ). Imagine if the cat had peed on your Wheatstone!

Funny, I thought they were for making music! Nice to see that elitism isn't dead on this board! I wonder why I don't visit more....

Okay, so my @#$*& cat pee'd on my Jackie...

Before I opened this post I tried to image what fluid we could be talking about.

One suggestion could be that the damage had been done while you were sitting on the wrong (=right :D) hand side of a flute player. Mostly condensation, but probaly containing a couple of human molecules.

Obviously, I need to have my imagination examined :)

/Henrik

Someone sent me a long e-mail espousing the merits of Bounce (the thing you put in the cloths dryer to prevent static cling). Getting rid of odors was one of the attributes listed. You might put a sheet or two inside the concertina. Good luck. Howie

I don't know if there's any way to really remove an animal-spray odor. We have used 'Febreeze' when we've had to, at times, like on pant-cuffs that got dog-stuff on them, etc., and after washing, they were okay. But....alas, you can't (or, shouldn't) put your concertina in the washer.

The next best thing, as far as I know, is to add another powerful odor that is as strong, chemically...like an essential oil.

I often use my own mixtures of water and essential oils (which is not really as good as the actual sprays manufactured by the essential-oil companies, but, a lot more economical), for general cleaning and spraying things. We basically live in a 'barn,' so...the extra bit of oil left here and there is not really an issue (...have dry skin, anyway...). Anyway, that's nice, but I think it's too wet to spray on your concertina.

However....I recently bought some really great stuff that I think I'd spray on my concertina if my cat had sprayed it. Maybe not recommended by the concertina makers, but....if you're desperate...

It's 'Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day' spray, and I chose the geranium-scented counter top spray. It's strong but it does kind of dissipate after a few minutes, and it really kills the strong odors (we have a rabbit cage, etc.). I bought it locally, but I did a google search and it does show up online, too.

Knowing what I know about oils and scents, and I use them, I would use this over cat spray.

I bought it for the stovetop of the new stove/oven we're getting today! :) Our old one died, can't cook or bake. So, now I have to figure out the new electronic

gadgets they have. So, anyway, our 'barn' will have a really nice stove!