Scholer Concertina 20 Key

jrmiller

I am the owner of an early '70's model Scholer 20 key concertina and am having troulbe figuring out how to play it. I have been trying off and on for these many years. I now have an opportunity to sit in on a guitar group to accompany on my Scholer. Can anyone help me with the key assignments, etc.???????????

I also have an accordian type which is approx. 12"X10"X5" with 10 keys down the right and 4 keys on the left. This was made in Germany and quite old. Any help on that one.????????

Thanks

Jonnie

Jonnie,

Your Scholer is what is known as a 20-key German concertina, otherwise commonly described as an Anglo concertina. Any tutor book for the instrument should help, Mel Bay do one that should be easily obtainable...

On the web, you could take a look here for the fingering, in the section Playing Concertina, on the Die Deutsche Konzertina (The German Concertina) site. However, you should be aware that although it is common to give the fingering for an instrument in C/G tuning, such instruments are also built in various other keys (always a fifth apart).

Your accordion sounds like a single-row Vienna accordion, a type often described as a melodeon. You will find fingering charts for them (described as HOHNER POKERWORK ONE ROW WITH 4 BASS BUTTONS), in the keys of C, D and G, here on Melodeon.net.

Jonnie,

Your Scholer is what is known as a 20-key German concertina, otherwise commonly described as an Anglo concertina. Any tutor book for the instrument should help, Mel Bay do one that should be easily obtainable...

On the web, you could take a look here for the fingering, in the section Playing Concertina, on the Die Deutsche Konzertina (The German Concertina) site. However, you should be aware that although it is common to give the fingering for an instrument in C/G tuning, such instruments are also built in various other keys (always a fifth apart).

Your accordion sounds like a single-row Vienna accordion, a type often described as a melodeon. You will find fingering charts for them (described as HOHNER POKERWORK ONE ROW WITH 4 BASS BUTTONS), in the keys of C, D and G, here on Melodeon.net.

Stephen,

Thank you for the very helpful information! The two websites you mentioned gave me enough information to really get started. Thank you so much.

Kindest regards,

Jonnie

Jonnie,

Jonnie,

jhappy to read that you haave got started with the information you got.

As I mentionned to you in my personal message, I wish to repeat here for others, who may be in your situation, that there is also an intersting Turto, titled "Die Deutsche Konzertina" which comes along with a learning CD. It is written in German, but has easy to understand diagrams, which help and make it easy to play along with the easy International Folk Tunes and finally a very nice Tanmgo, difficult to believe that it is performed oin a 20 button German Concertina, at löeast for the beginner.

It is published by Voggenreiter, possibly not easy for you to get in USA, but I could buy for the iontersted and send it.

It cost about 25 US$.

There is also availbale Alan DAys CD for playing an ona 20 button Concerrtina English Folk with chords.

Regareds

Joachim

P.D. : I am preparing some more materail for a workshop for absolute Beginners, which eventually, and once finished I can send.