Another Ebay Oddball--id?

Daniel Hersh

This 36-button 8-sided red pearloid concertina is on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/36-Button-Concertina_W...1QQcmdZViewItem . Anyone seen one of these before? Am I right in thinking that it's a Stagi/Bastari Anglo? But if it is, I didn't know that they ever made these with this many buttons or sides...

Daniel

Hmmm....I didn't even know that a South American market existed, except for bandoneons. Was your concertina an Anglo with "extra" buttons or some kind of stripped-down bandoneon?

Daniel

Yup,

That is a Bastari.  Had one back in the 70s.  As I recall they were for the South American market.

Cheers,

Geo

There is a very sizable South African concertina market. So large that Wheatstone and Bastari made models expressedly for export to those areas. The Boer concertina players have developed their own distinctive style of playing concertina which requires extra bellows folds....

Sean Minnie (from the Republic of South Africa) was at this year's NESI and gave us all wonderful insight into what Boermusic is about. There's an article on concertina.net about South African concertinas here and a nice website all about Boer music and the concertina in South Africa by Sean Minnie here.

Oops... I just realized that you folks were talking about the South American market, not South African. Please ignore!

Edited by Richard Morse

• 3 weeks later...

I've corresponded with the fellow who outbid me for the 36-button 8-sided Italian Anglo that started this thread, and here's some info that he sent me about it:

"The extra low button on the treble side C row is G on open & F on close. G row, Bb & Ab. Accidental row, C sharp & Eb. Bass side C row top button, E on open & Bb on close. G row, Ab & F. Acc. row, C sharp & F sharp (...) Incidentally,this has to be the largest concertina that I have ever seen.It's 9 1/2 inches tall & 30 inches with the bellows fully open. It sounds as if 2 sets of reeds sound on playing."

Daniel