Anglo International

We can't blame this one on the Tories who are in Blackpool, not Brighton. It was the Labour Party in Brighton last week so I expect the problem was a fear of aggressive bouncers.

Was it really? Just goes to show you can't trust a politician of whatever ilk.

I'm thinking of joining the Monster Raving Loony Party. Maybe I could persuade them to adopt a policy of free concertinas on the National Health. Got to be worth a try.

Chris

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Delighted to receive my copy of "Anglo International" by special delivery at the George in Southwark last night, Thanks Alan. I don't think Ill be listening to anything else for a week or two. A beautiful production!

Thank you Mark for your comments about the booklet but that part of the project was Grahams baby.He organised all the photos ,players comments etc and has done a great job.With Roger Edwards designing the front cover ,it has been very much a team effort.

Nice to see you at THe George "Red" I was delayed when one of our English Setter bitches (Mouse) had a fit before I was leaving and a quick trip to the vet was required.I am glad to say she has made a full recovery.

Although I was an hour late I enjoyed the evening.

Vote for the Concertina Party the only politicians we can Really trust.

Is this a thread drift or a change of political direction?

Al ;)

Thank you Mark for your comments about the booklet but that part of the project was Grahams baby.He organised all the photos ,players comments etc and has done a great job.With Roger Edwards designing the front cover ,it has been very much a team effort.

Al ;)

I expected as much. What I am assuming (with good evidence from other posters here) is that this collection is first rate all 'round and I expect would be of interest to many college and university music libraries where there is an ethnomusicology program. I look forward to spending a lot of time with this collection and will certainly procure one for my institution's small but well stocked music library.

Our copy arrived in the post this morning, and has been playing non stop since then- just one of the advantages of retirement. It is a wonderful tour of Anglo styles and a great variety of tunes.

Elsie and I play English system but we are full of admiration at the skill of the players.

Also we are delighted to read in Graham Bradshaw's introduction that the Rosbif records are to be re-issued on CDs as our vinyl copies are showing their age.

Congratulations to Alan and the team for an outstanding work.

David

I worked my way through the three CDs on Tuesday morning, intending to keep on working my way round and round. But it's all so excellent I have just left the third one where it is and played it over about eight times. I love it all especially the Felix Castro and brother stuff - not that anything else on there is anything but outstanding - does anyone know if they have their own CD(s)?

A wonderful collection. I had some trouble with my CD programme so haven't listened to the third CD yet but it'll be going onto my mp3 player today.

By the way, I have a name for one of Mary MacNamara's unnamed jigs. Track 26 on CD 1, the first jig in the set is known by some as "Paddy Canny's Jig". She taught it to us under that name during the 2003 Feakle Festival in Clare.

Thanks for your comments and info Geraghty.Mary supplied the details, so she must have forgotten the name of that tune.

I am interested and excited by your comments as you are looking and hearing it from a mainly Irish point of view and the fact that you are enjoying it from just CD1&2 and you have still not heard Niall ,Noel and Chris play some exciting Irish music ,it looks as though we have the balance about right.This was one of my concerns, although I was personally happy with the content it is nice to get it confirmed.

See what you think of CD three.

Red must be up to about twelve listens by now.

Al

Alan Day wrote;

"See what you think of CD three.

Red must be up to about twelve listens by now"

Only ten actually, as I took it home last night and left it on the machine there. I now have no1 on the go in the workshop.

By the way, although it's curious to find Niall Vallely playing Thelonius Monk, it was even more curious when we heard Chris Sherburn's "Last Night's Fun" at a blues festival!

Alan,

I ordered a copy of Anglo International from the Button Box in the USA at the start of the week and was both surprised and pleased when it was delivered just a couple of days later, I'd expected a wait of a week or more.

I've listened to all three CDs and I'll be repeating the experience many times in the near future. It's a wonderful collection and very well done; it really showcases the instrument as well as the players. The booklet is the frosting on the cake, the information it provides about the players really enhances the value of the set to me.

I was present in Killarney when Noel Hill recorded two of his included tracks and hearing them again was a great pleasure. I'm also quite happy that samples of Tom Lawrence's excellent playing are included, and I expect we'll be hearing more from him in the future. Of course, every track on the set is great so this collection is a real treasure and worth far more to me than the small sum I paid to acquire it.

Our email contact hasn't always been reliable, so I wanted to use the open forum to express my appreciation.

Bruce

I had the opportunity to have a really good listen to the whole collection as I worked in my shop, today. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to the different styles. It will be on again tomorrow, all three CDs. Of the 10 CDs I started with, most are now gone and I will have to be ordering more.