Anglo International

There was a cry of fear from other members of the household last night at the sight of the words '3CD set' and 'concertina' on the same piece of paper.

But the house is empty now so my voyage of discovery has begun. After a conversation (or whatever the proper term is for communication by postings on this site) with Alan Day about Mandy Murray many threads ago, I went to her tracks first. Alan, I agree, 'Mandy Murray's' is lovely.

Enjoyed Ntomba Suka SHambe, Zak van der Vyver - I liked the use of the air button to add rhythm, good to hear Scan Tester's vigour. One of the things that's impressed me, apart from the skill of the players, is the wide range of styles on the CDs. Even if you don't like concertinas much, it's interesting. As a novice player I've learnt lots just on the first listen and I don't even play Anglo.

Alan and Graham, and all who helped, it's not until actually holding this product in my hand that I realise what an absolutely massive amount of work went into it. And that's only what we can see. We can't see all the setbacks that you met all along the way which will have doubled the time you'd planned to spend on this. I can't think of any words which don't sound patronising to describe my complete and utter admiration for your tenacity and continuous enthusiasm in producing this set.

A big 'Thank you' to all of you.

Not a bad use of £25 of my hard earned brass!

Joy

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a cry of fear from other members of the household last night at the sight of the words '3CD set' and 'concertina' on the same piece of paper.

Joy

EDited by Graham who couldn't understand Alan Day's instructions as to how to use this forum. As usual. it's all his fault.

Edited by GrahamBradshaw

A big 'Thank you' to all of you.

Not a bad use of £25 of my hard earned brass!

Joy

Thanks for your encouraging comments. We're getting good responses so far.

The website now has ordering details, and for those that want to know more, you can download the entire booklet as a pdf file.

URL is www.angloconcertina.co.uk

Graham

EDited - I didn't mean to quote all of Spectacled Warblers missive.

I'll get the hang of this eventually!

Edited by GrahamBradshaw

Joy you are the first paying customer to let us know what you think of the collection.You have almost healed all the wounds.I am really glad and excited you are enjoying it.

My workshop on Cnet posting to Graham failed dismally.

Graham please see me after class!! :angry:

Al :)

I was talking to Specs before the release of this collection about the emotion in Mandy Murray`s playing of the tune in her name.I received my copy of the collection at the same time as many of you and had a chance to listen for the first time to Noel Hills playing on CD3.This was the last recordings to arrive and went straight off to manufacturers.Today I had to stop the car,pull into a layby and listen to his playing of "Caoineadh Luimi (The lament for the Limerick)", just wonderful and very moving,then a superb double set to finish the collection.

All the players have done us proud.

A happy Day :rolleyes:

....and for those that want to know more, you can download the entire booklet as a pdf file.

URL is www.angloconcertina.co.uk

Graham

I will buy "Anglo International" during the Arran Concertina Event next week, so the only thing I can do is download and print the booklet and even this booklet is exciting. I got "red ears" from excitement! So much detailed and relevant information.

A must for every (Anglo)-concertina player ;) !!!!

Thanks for a laugh Henk,I have never heard of someone getting red ears with excitement.Other things, but not red ears.

What I found of interest is the Zulu Concertina man.This amazing little fellow was found by the printer and Graham wondering what picture to put in,found by chance on the internet.These little fellows are being sold somewhere in the World as ornaments.The detail is just amazing,down to the holes in the jeans and his playing expression.Sadly no red ears.Worth downloading just to see him.

Al ;)

INTERNATIONAL ANGLO CONCERTINA CD LAUNCH

SATURDAY OCTOBER 1ST. 8.00 pm - 11.00 pm

ROYAL OAK, STATION STREET, LEWES, EAST SUSSEX, UK

Well, I think the launch evening was a success even though there was room for more attending. Bryan Creer acted as host/MC for the evening. After a few singers/players giving a selection of songs/tunes, it was over to Alan Day to lead the proceedings and introducing the other featured players.

Alan played tunes both solo and with fellow former-Rosbif piper Mel Stevens. Roger Digby played a selection of tunes both from his Flowers and Frolics period, and from the repertoire he now plays with Bob Davenport. It may have been a first to have Roger sing to his own concertina accompaniment.

Mandy Murray is a terrific player of the Irish style of anglo-playing, and was extensively using the left hand with the melody in contrast to the chord-style. (I hope I am on safe ground here - as an English-system player I have to be careful and occasionally be prepared to duck for cover when I say something wrong)

I saw John Watcham playing with Brighton Morris Men at an event in July. He stood out as a good player, but I did not know who he was then. It was only during last night's event that I learned he had been one half of the duo Mr. Gladstone's Bag, who I remember seeing maybe 25 years ago. Here he played a selection of dance tunes from the Morris repertoire.

Finally we had Zak Van Der Vyver. Zak is a South African who has lived in the UK since 1960. Zak played a selection of 'light popular music' and music hall favourites.

Five players all with contrasting styles, and only a small selection of those available on the CD set. Congratulations to the Lewes group for organising last night's launch. And double congratulations to Alan and everyone connected with the production.

Now, if you will excuse me I still have some listening to do.

John Wild

Many thanks for your report and support John.I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would.Enjoyed your playing

I have let the New Wembley Stadium know we are not quite ready yet to fill it and they understood.

A dicky bird has just told me that Button Box have received their CDs.

THE PIGEON HAS LANDED.

You can stop ringing now Helen.

Al :)

Well, I think the launch evening was a success even though there was room for more attending.

I can guess at the reason for that. A friend of ours (Dave Lee, anglo player for Holt Morris) called in but ould only stay for 1/2 hour as he had to drive home. he had been unable to obtain accommodation locally because I) The Conservative Party conference is taking place just down the road in Brighton (dontcha just love 'em. They're not in power but they can still screw things up for people); II) apparently lots of kids going back to Uni, cadging lifts off doting parents and housing them in B&Bs overnight before they go home.

Never mind, perhaps you could have another launch over this side of the country, and perhaps one more in the North later on. How about a US launch and a South African one as well? Just a thought ...

Chris

A dicky bird has just told me that Button Box have received their CDs. THE PIGEON HAS LANDED.

Yes, and we've got them all rewrapped up for those who have ordered them for the afternoon mail. We've also got them listed on our What's New page for those who were dithering. Great stuff!

=John Wild,Oct 2 2005, 11:52 PM]Well, I think the launch evening was a success even though there was room for more attending.

I would have liked to be there as Lewes is quite close and I have been known to attend the odd "anonymous" meeting in that very room, but unfortunately it clashed with the Tenterden Folk Festival and me laying a new floor for a friend of mine!

I'd also been away from my wife all week for work so discretion was the better part of valour ;) .

you can't be everywhere :(

Chris,

We can't blame this one on the Tories who are in Blackpool, not Brighton. It was the Labour Party in Brighton last week so I expect the problem was a fear of aggressive bouncers.

(For overseas readers, an 82 year old Party activist was evicted from the conference for shouting 'Nonsense!' at one of the cabinet! Really. What made it even worse is that he was then held by the police under new anti-terrorist legislation. It was far and away the most-publicised event of the whole conference!)

I can't bear to listen to what's going on in Blackpool!

Best wishes to all.

Roger