The wild rover

xCorex

Hey everybody, this ist my First Post in this Forum :)

I wanted to ask If anyone of you has Tabs/notes/chords for the Song "the wild rover" by the dubliners for anglo concertina. I would really Love to learn this song.

I have been playing concertina for a while now but i am struggling a bit to translate sheet music to the Instrument... 

I Hope someone of you can Help me. I would really appreciate it :)

Here you go! 

If you want one with tablature, you'll need to let me know if you prefer Jeffries or Wheatstone style fingering and on-row or cross-row style playing.

https://michaeleskin.com/abctools/abctools.html?lzw=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-YeY6juGS8v7IeDM0mc2BNEgFd3beFMDRQlqUDKcE3iGR7wQKoTiWYA9hqYAAHIEEaEHvjBj5kAAhMakGARkVhekmBJEmmK54i8+JQkyab0vhe7YbGACiZ6gpRQYInR+6ejRlSUt6V5+gG9EgJy3L3ghiojEBzYod+myFGEb6hCan7PnKf4VihUFGg+CpGiaQmOs2UCoOAABqZAOCgwIgDp4CFFQVqgQYgHDDaSAHOoRn1mATlILg9CATozYAI7qFaZkgYUnk-rJb7aG+IQqg6TqhLQdSWgYPKBYUNRFrgyCKnoiq2M22A9kaDjasMDiWXlKooOhBqBSo6ivJKLxOZ5jaYOgRY6hopB1IUth2QgNAisMoTYO+ZmBQZXUoOwpm6S5nkEAWXiRI29rhAQthFta9DimOClIOgUSaHUpikAdCD0IF05gGF06ReqdTOkgdQEGE4rud22Bfj2CBMoEZ30Mls0qNqDg0OguDghYGiCi+-UilQeaFsWV0yg+z06Nd2plh0l19LJVC-Jq-XWsFA46l+ZAoPomChEOchPQD4JjbNE3OdwM3mTDmz9mABzSCgnnReE+pWg4RptJoOhPXUCOjuaKDYE61WzVdQovmlmNII2gthPqisSp+6CKrM+VRHQu2aID4DNH0CM7Z+6oir1za1O9-OSuj9CCtd6D88dSDZUggWfhKhSqf+Ymvu+mtyb+T6aROUBQEAA&format=noten&ssp=10&name=The_Wild_Rover&play=1

Edited by Michael Eskin
  • Thanks 1

On 7/12/2024 at 6:11 PM, Michael Eskin said:

Here you go! 

If you want one with tablature, you'll need to let me know if you prefer Jeffries or Wheatstone style fingering and on-row or cross-row style playing.

https://michaeleskin.com/abctools/abctools.html?lzw=BoLgBAjAUAKuMAsCmYDqBLANgEzAJQHsA3JAJyj3AHcBDTAFwC8oBZcAZgHoAWKAGXAROADigBpcAHEAtjQBWUAKRgAygQCuAO2wAzApvrgdNegCMCATyU1TAYzkBnAPoON2vQbDGzlpWBZImATYFmAADqQEAOakNNLgAML6tmT06Jo0SoosAJIAIjnhkTFxkOzsfgBCNA4ORdGx8WAAgrYaDmm2YJKx2mAACug0mgRZuQVgpjUOEdFgAAxj+YVTtUQEmGAAbLzKCQgEpNh1syVNre2d3b24g8OjitnLYLYHR6cLSxOvh9jrmzsoHkAEwAHwARJJIcCAHzNYHdMEAMQRILAlTBGIAPPD0WDwQlwbYtgBaUG2bjo2wQvLg7AIjFgenk4E4hEo0FQKiCAB0AD8cgByEiTJBITRgGhgKhYXCREikLyHMCyTQWQV1ejIMAWJA0UgAGjAfMlfSFIpm4vokswm2koWk+iQoX0UHBtLRjPhEKhki2oMYCMDYBBoMkCOa7G6oJRIYZmIj8YhhJepJZYGDlWpXOoCHQDgA1s7TbhTGLSDz0eprSMqGAhdIwKQkPR1KRNOkotL0FqwFENrh0n3myYwB1DigTcNcDk3bT6VjGczbLDcRzPYmfdCwLHwzTwc1-YeY6juGS8v7IeDM0mc2BNEgFd3beFMDRQlqUDKcE3iGR7wQKoTiWYA9hqYAAHIEEaEHvjBj5kAAhMakGARkVhekmBJEmmK54i8+JQkyab0vhe7YbGACiZ6gpRQYInR+6ejRlSUt6V5+gG9EgJy3L3ghiojEBzYod+myFGEb6hCan7PnKf4VihUFGg+CpGiaQmOs2UCoOAABqZAOCgwIgDp4CFFQVqgQYgHDDaSAHOoRn1mATlILg9CATozYAI7qFaZkgYUnk-rJb7aG+IQqg6TqhLQdSWgYPKBYUNRFrgyCKnoiq2M22A9kaDjasMDiWXlKooOhBqBSo6ivJKLxOZ5jaYOgRY6hopB1IUth2QgNAisMoTYO+ZmBQZXUoOwpm6S5nkEAWXiRI29rhAQthFta9DimOClIOgUSaHUpikAdCD0IF05gGF06ReqdTOkgdQEGE4rud22Bfj2CBMoEZ30Mls0qNqDg0OguDghYGiCi+-UilQeaFsWV0yg+z06Nd2plh0l19LJVC-Jq-XWsFA46l+ZAoPomChEOchPQD4JjbNE3OdwM3mTDmz9mABzSCgnnReE+pWg4RptJoOhPXUCOjuaKDYE61WzVdQovmlmNII2gthPqisSp+6CKrM+VRHQu2aID4DNH0CM7Z+6oir1za1O9-OSuj9CCtd6D88dSDZUggWfhKhSqf+Ymvu+mtyb+T6aROUBQEAA&format=noten&ssp=10&name=The_Wild_Rover&play=1

Hello Michael,

Thank you so much for making the effort to create this notation for me, it's truly helpful and I really appreciate it. It's absolutely amazing that you took the time to help me.

I must say that i am very impressed by your website “michaeleskin.com”, i didn't even know it existed.

This website is absolutely fantastic and really helpful, and I have spent the whole day familiarising myself with the functions and looked at the different tools it offers. I have also found out how to generate tabs for the different songs now, which makes learning new songs so much easier.

So, i would like to thank you once again for making the effort to create this website and for doing the concertina community such a great service.

I also have one more question. is it possible to display the tabs/notes for the chords somehow? For some songs it would be nice to play the accompaniment with the concertina and i often have difficulties finding out which chords have to be played.

Thank you again for your time and effort 😊

4 hours ago, xCorex said:

For some songs it would be nice to play the accompaniment with the concertina and i often have difficulties finding out which chords have to be played.

https://chordu.com/tabs/-name--chords-by-the-dubliners-id_0x1b6f7

Added:  Maybe I have misunderstood your request?  If you need to know which buttons to press for a particular chord then Gary Coover's Anglo books will give you all of the button combinations that fit each chord. 

It would also be worthwhile learning just enough music theory to be able to figure out which notes belong to a chord.  There are lots of websites and YouTube videos on this topic.

Edited by Don Taylor
  • Thanks 1

On 7/12/2024 at 6:11 PM, Michael Eskin said:

Here you go! 

is it just my browser (edge), or are the lyrics misaligned with the notes? The long C in bar 4 should align with "year," but what I see is attached. 

wild_rover_me.jpg

4 hours ago, Don Taylor said:

https://chordu.com/tabs/-name--chords-by-the-dubliners-id_0x1b6f7

Added:  Maybe I have misunderstood your request?  If you need to know which buttons to press for a particular chord then Gary Coover's Anglo books will give you all of the button combinations that fit each chord. 

It would also be worthwhile learning just enough music theory to be able to figure out which notes belong to a chord.  There are lots of websites and YouTube videos on this topic.

Yes, that is exactly what i meant. I will definetly check your recommendations out :) Thank you very much ^^ 

Of course my ultimate goal is to learn and understand the concertina as much to understand which chords and notes go best with each other but this means i still need a lot of practice, so wish me luck!!

7 hours ago, RAc said:

is it just my browser (edge), or are the lyrics misaligned with the notes? The long C in bar 4 should align with "year," but what I see is attached. 

It’s not just you. When using w: for aligned lyrics in abc, the software doesn’t know how many syllables a word has unless you populate the lyrics with appropriately placed hyphens between the syllables. If you replace the beginning of the first w: line with

w: 1.~I've been a wild ro-ver for ma-ny's the year,

Then “year” will be correctly placed under the long note. But there’s many other such omissions that would need to be corrected to fix the underlay of the whole thing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xCorex said:

Yes, that is exactly what i meant. I will definetly check your recommendations out :) Thank you very much ^^ 

Of course my ultimate goal is to learn and understand the concertina as much to understand which chords and notes go best with each other but this means i still need a lot of practice, so wish me luck!!

This might get you started in understanding and playing chords on the Anglo concertina: http://www.concertina.com/digby/faking/index.htm

This little song was a great hit in germany in the 80th and was called "An der Nordseeküste", i think by Gebrüder Plattschuss (?), NO "Klaus & Klaus". It doesn´t matter. 😪 - I did not like it. 🤢

They played it in so called "Bierzelt", good for singing, when have been drunken. Waaaaah! 🥳

I think, as a folksong it is very nice. 👍

Edited by b13