Replacing Accordion Reed in a Concertina

Hello Concertina friends!

So I have a nicely made but mysterious-no-branding anglo concertina I bought on Ebay about 8 years ago.  Alas, one of the reeds has broken and needs to be replaced.  I know my instrument uses accordion reeds and that the reed in question is a "B" (push in on 2nd finger, right hand).

I feel confident enough to replace it at this point, however, I don't know what octave to order.  Hohner seems to sell replacements listed in octaves 2-8, but I don't know which one to get!

Any answers?

Is this an anglo, or English/Duet? That tells us if the note is the same in both bellows directions or not.

Easier than chasing down a reed to order from Hohner might be to go to anyone who works on piano and button accordions and see if they have a reed that would fit. I don't know if there is such a person on Cape Cod but there should be in the Boston area, I would think.

OTOH, Others here may have better ideas.

Ken

It’s an Anglo, so B on the push.

Also, I’m in Colorado performing for the month so Boston unfortunately is not an option at the moment. 

Posted (edited)

The hohner company no longer exists but an Italian company uses some of the machinery that Brunner Música [the ones that often made the concertinas/ with hohner name on and Stagi  ]  had used - and make their units now in Italy [featured by one of our members on this C.net site] maybe they will have some reeds? and may be very similar? [Concertina Italia].

I have my own hohner branded [ Italian made] Anglo 30 key - which I have owned now for 25 plus years. [ steel reeds also]. At that time I got spare buttons sent free from a company that is no longer in business [ Brunner musica] - so  the company above may be best now.

Edited by SIMON GABRIELOW

Posted (edited)

This chart shows a piano keyboard on the left and data for each key.  My red marks show the range of my Anglo C/G concertina.  The "scientific name" column tells you the note and octave #.  Correlate your missing note to a piano key and you will have it.20210425_124121.thumb.png.2f77ecf67083ec8bc1ff571098aed054.png

Edited by David Lay

This web site is very helpful in sorting out Anglo notes - https://anglopiano.com/

Accordion reeds are paired (push/pull) on one plate, so you will need a A5/B5 reed plate.

Definitely look for someone repairing button accordions as they are most likely to have a suitable spare reed plates.

Perhaps Contact Scott at https://bellingersbuttonboxes.com/  If he can't help, he'll likely know someone.....  (1-585-208-9617). 

On 7/6/2024 at 2:07 AM, SIMON GABRIELOW said:

The hohner company no longer exists but an Italian company uses some of the machinery that Brunner Música [the ones that often made the concertinas/ with hohner name on and Stagi  ]  had used - and make their units now in Italy [featured by one of our members on this C.net site] maybe they will have some reeds? and may be very similar? [Concertina Italia].

I have my own hohner branded [ Italian made] Anglo 30 key - which I have owned now for 25 plus years. [ steel reeds also]. At that time I got spare buttons sent free from a company that is no longer in business [ Brunner musica] - so  the company above may be best now.

folks at Hohner (in Trossingen/Germany) might firmly object, and rightly so - their company undoubtedly exists, just probably not any more as a manufacturer of concertinas 😊

Kimric Smythe at Smythe’s Accordion Center in California was able to replace a reed for me in a Marcus concertina. He had a wide range of donor reeds from various instruments to choose from, and was able to do some hand tweaking to get the tone as matched to the other reeds of the instrument as possible.