Renting an English box

Hello all,

So I really fancy getting into playing the English concertina. I have had a bit of experience with the anglo, but as my knowledge of traditional music has developed, I have decided that English would work better for what I want to play. The trouble is that I have no experience whatsoever with the English system and good boxes in working order are pretty expensive. I'm based in Lincoln - annoyingly far away from any shops that sell them - and I'd still be hesitant to spend several hundred pounds on an instrument that I don't even know I will get on with. Anyway, is there anywhere in the UK that rents out English concertinas? I am aware that the EATMT has a good rental scheme, but they only have anglo and duet boxes.

Thanks!

For short money. Your best bet is probably going to be a concertina connection jack/ Jackie. 
I would advise taking the plunge on that. Trying it out. And if it does not work, you’d only be out a hundred or so.  But they are cheap and known enough to flip quickly.

but you’d be getting a new decent quality instrument to start. And not a potential headache.

• Like 1

I currently have two English concertinas out on loan, and have just this week sold one that would have been good for you. However, If you would like a loan instrument for a few months to a year, I have Lachenal 5231 (https://pghardy.net/concertina/lachenal_52313/lachenal_52313.html) which I'd happily loan to you for £10 plus cost of postage (less than £10 each way). It's not a high end instrument, but perfectly playable and would work well for finding your way around the keyboard. If interested, drop me an email - paul at paulhardy.net.

• Like 1

Hello from Sunny Southend

First post here. 

I too am starting a journey with the English Concertina but struggling to know what to do for a first instrument. I would love to be able to borrow one of yours if that is still an option

On 6/26/2024 at 10:16 AM, Paul_Hardy said:

I currently have two English concertinas out on loan, and have just this week sold one that would have been good for you. However, If you would like a loan instrument for a few months to a year, I have Lachenal 5231 (https://pghardy.net/concertina/lachenal_52313/lachenal_52313.html) which I'd happily loan to you for £10 plus cost of postage (less than £10 each way). It's not a high end instrument, but perfectly playable and would work well for finding your way around the keyboard. If interested, drop me an email - paul at paulhardy.net.

I look forward to your reply

Eric

20 hours ago, Eric said:

I would love to be able to borrow one of yours if that is still an option

Unfortunately all my four loan instruments are currently out. I have a couple more that are in the man-shed awaiting time to fettle, but that won't be soon. I suggest the Norfolk-based SqueezEast group (not far from you) who have beginner instruments to hire - drop an email to contact@squeezeast.org.uk. 

So, if you live in Germany, i have a Stagi English Concertina, which i don´t play, since i have my anglo in progress. If you need one to rent, sent me a message.

Best reguards.

b13

Thank you one & all, I am now sorted courtesy of Terry Evan’s from whom I will be taking lessons.

Regards

Eric