2-20's To Make A 30

hi all. this may elicit some negative opinions, but i'd like to know if anyone out there has attempted or heard of using the reeds from 2 20 button tina's to construct a 30+ tina. the only problem i can come up with is that reeds may not be able to be pitched to the lower register. also wanting to hear from anyone about using types of wood such as paduak in the reedpan and or fretwork. this wood is used for marimbas for its excellent tonal qualities. would it make an appreciable difference? i should also preface my idea with the thought that i would only use worn out boxes. i believe the Wakker Phoenix does something along this line....

... also wanting to hear from anyone about using types of wood such as paduak in the reedpan and or fretwork. this wood is used for marimbas for its excellent tonal qualities.  would it make an appreciable difference? 

Oh, and I doubt that paduak would have any advantage for the reedpans, whilst it would be much harder to make those complex components in it than maple. It should make a fine pair of ends though, and some melodeon makers have been using it recently.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Frank, for your input regarding the tuning aspect, and thanks Stephen, for your ideas on the wood use. As a new member, is sure is fun to interact with others that are so interested in this instrument. in my neck of the woods, people just go: "Whaaaat did you say???"

Be warned about some of the exotic (and more common) woods we use in concertinas:

Padauk, as in this post, is a Sensitizer of Eyes, Skin, Respiratory tract, and this comes from both dust, and from handeling the wood.

Other wood we use:

Rosewoods are: Sensitizer, Irritant Eyes, Skin, Respiratory tract

Mahogany: Sensitizer, Hypersensitivity: Pneumonia & Skin, Respiratory tract- from dust

Ebony: Irritant, Sensitizer Eyes, Skin -from dust, wood contact

Maple (Spalted) Sensitizer, Hypersensitivity Pneumonia Respiratory -from dust.

So, dust masks & even goggles if sawing, sanding or machining, good housekeeping discipline, and washing of hands etc.

Most of these issues occur over a period of time, or if you are doing a lot. However you might just be unlucky. My wood turning days came to an abrupt halt due to my ignorance on these matters

Dave

The dust is a problem when making concertinas or doing any woodworking. However, I think the risks for the player are almost non-existent. The should be no dust from a finished concertina, and the wood itself is coated in whatever finish applied so contact problems should not be a problem except for hypersensitive individuals.