Wheatstone price?

Anyone know if this is a good price?

I tried it out and the action and sound are great.

https://bellingham.craigslist.org/msg/d/ferndale-wheatstone-aeola-concertina/7755527973.html

Serial is 35404 - 1942 according to horniman

- In near mint condition!
- Superb tone, response, dynamics
- factory tuned to A440 concert pitch
- factory 8-fold bellows (rare)

The story goes that Wheatstone only kept a handful of their best craftsmen during WWII. I was told that only 40 Aeola English concertinas were made during the war period. Plus… this instrument is in pristine original clean condition inside and out so was well taken care of.

*** factory tuned to A440 concert pitch (no risk of butchered pitch corrected reeds).

*** factory original 8-fold bellows (most Aeola trebles only have 5-fold).

Super fast and responsive action and reeds. Sweet oboe-like tone, not harsh, with superior dynamics.

High end brass reed shoes with steel reed tongues. All leather concertina bellows.

Same range as a violin (G plus 3-1/2 octaves up to high C). Fully chromatic.

Comes with original hard shell stitched leather case also in excellent condition (new hinge was installed).

3500 USD (Approx 4500 CAD, 2700 GBP).

Selling because of cancer in the family.

Local cash sale preferred but will ship within lower 48 or Canada

Screenshot_2024-06-17_15-56-55.png.7159dd7231040b59d0355a3ef987bdcb.pngScreenshot_2024-06-17_15-57-27.png.188f0bbf27a968a961d4af96ec258a3c.pngScreenshot_2024-06-17_15-57-41.png.249784c847165ed6253169c704832736.pngScreenshot_2024-06-17_15-57-54.png.79ae5aea4eabfeca2442ffa40663ef31.pngScreenshot_2024-06-17_15-58-07.png.e0b11522687a558b60cfeee2fb6d93d9.pngScreenshot_2024-06-17_15-58-30.png.18116230ee5edb4988adfdc120e50253.png

Edited by Skybear

Hi

I'm not an English concertina guy so others could have a more useful perspective than me.

If you were able to try out this instrument and found it to your liking you are fortunate and ahead of the game as I think a lot of concertinas are bought sight unseen with a lot of wishful thinking.

You could try to compare this one to a comparable one at Barleycorn or other concertina sources. 

If you are in the same area as seems the case you are also avoiding shipping and customs fees that can add a lot to a price, even for the most desired instrument at the best price.

You could try to negotiate.

If this concertina makes you happy, I would call this "the bird in the hand".

Edited by richard

I do not claim to be an expert. So, this one  random idiot's opinion.

But, this seems high to me. My unknowledgable out of touch mind would probably like to see it closer to 3k than 3500.

That said. it looks to be in beautiful condition. But the real question is how does it play and sound?

If I were in the market. I could EASILY see me paying the asking if playing it blew me away.

Edited by seanc

1 hour ago, seanc said:

I do not claim to be an expert. So, this one  random idiot's opinion.

But, this seems high to me. My unknowledgable out of touch mind would probably like to see it closer to 3k than 3500.

That said. it looks to be in beautiful condition. But the real question is how does it play and sound?

If I were in the market. I could EASILY see me paying the asking if playing it blew me away.

I was able to try it and the action was good and played well. Clean and beautiful. Yeah maybe I could offer 3k.. or 2800?

Richard: from what I can see it is an okay price..

You can offer whatever you want. If they take it or not is another thing.

I am assuming this is a private sale and NOT a dealer. Since this is a private sale and your "warranty and return" prividges end when they can't see your tail lights any longer. 

Depending on how long it has been up for sale may help to determine how motivated they are to sell it or take an offer.

If there is nobody at the location plays. ANY offer might just be considered found money.

SeanC:

Private sale, yes.

Some other older players around, but they already have their prize concertina and are not interested.

Has only been on the market less than a fortnight, but my feelings is that he's fine to wait. He said he took a year to sell a different one.

And now that you have put up the ad link here on Concertina.net there might be more competition and a wild bidding war!

Barleycorn are currently offering an Aeola for £4000. Don't know enough to compare them, but compared with that this looks like a good deal even if it isn't as high a quality instrument. From your description, this is a good instrument.

Good vintage instruments aren't easy to come by. Each one is individual, because it has its own history. If you come across one that calls out to you then offer what you think is a fair price. By all means negotiate, but don't miss out for the sake of a few bucks. If it's the intrument for you then in the long run you may regret missing out more than you'd regret paying a little more.

The 1920's is supposed to be the best period for Wheatstone's. I bought an excellent one, fully restored for $2400.00 here in the US.

And not long before they closed. I picked up my TT Aeola (1917) from button box for 4200.

its not all apples to apples of course. But to me , that asking would be in line if it were a dealer and there was some sort of return or window for repairs.

and from my small pulse on the market, English and maccans just don’t seem to be moving that fast.