Anyone Off To Witney ?

I have just received the music. I'm over in Ireland for work all next week, so it looks like I'll be taking my concertina with me to get those tunes well ingrained.

|

I've downloaded the tunes for Andy Turner's Anglo Basics session off the web, and will get my wife to play Brian's Sunday tunes into my PC before I go, as my note reading isn't that good.

Welcome to Concertina.Net Brian, I'm looking forward to your 'Voyage' session . I reckon that makes five C-Netters going to Witney now.

I'm aiming to get down on Friday night for the session, but it depends on flights being on time etc.

See you there chaps.

Clive.

Welcome to Concertina.Net Brian, I'm looking forward to your 'Voyage' session . I reckon that makes five C-Netters going to Witney now.

Thanks Clive, looks like an interesting site. Good postings on "English style Anglo" - I might try to revive that thread when I've a few spare minutes.

Brian

Do you know if anything much happens on the Friday night? IF not then I'll probably drive down on the Saturday morning, as I'll only get back from a week away about 7pm on the Friday

Clive

Hi Clive - As you'll by now have seen the Friday night session is held at the Court Inn (opposite end of town from the Henry Box school), and starts about 8-ish.

Great fun if usually slow to get going - but judging by the morning after heavy eye balls - can last and last.

Probably also worth experiencing as one's first exposure to multi concertina playing in a confined space - leading to urgent search for aspirin / ear plugs !

Steve :)

I don't think Witney has done advance audio for a few years now, either for melodeons or concertinas

I am not sure that they have ever done that, though for several years i believe they offered a cassette recording after the event.

I will unfortunately be missing Concertinas at Witney this year, my first absence for some time.

Regards,

John Wild

Edited by John Wild

I don't think Witney has done advance audio for a few years now, either for melodeons or concertinas

I am not sure that they have ever done that, though for several years i believe they offered a cassette recording after the event.

They used to for melodeons: I have a vivid memory of sitting in my B&B at Whitby Festival a few years ago, trying desperately to get the tunes note perfect at quarter speed (not as easy as it might seem) while Dave Townsend sat opposite with a mini-disc mike thrust towards me. It was all a bit of a nightmare - possibly why it's not done now.

Brian

They used to for melodeons: I have a vivid memory of sitting in my B&B at Whitby Festival a few years ago, trying desperately to get the tunes note perfect at quarter speed (much harder than it might seem) while Dave Townsend sat opposite with a mini-disc mike thrust towards me. It was all a bit of a nightmare - possibly why it's not done now.

Brian

They used to for melodeons: I have a vivid memory of sitting in my B&B at Whitby Festival a few years ago, trying desperately to get the tunes note perfect at quarter speed (much harder than it might seem) while Dave Townsend sat opposite with a mini-disc mike thrust towards me.

What a wonderful image!

I can't make it to Witney this year either, unfortunately, as it's political conference season and with it being the first post-election conference things are pretty hectic. Although ours isn't for couple of weeks (same weekend as Arran unfortunately), I've got a sackload of email, nonsense, and admin to get through first, so time is scarce :)

Looks like three or four of us then. I've not been before, so I've no idea what the form is.

We ought to have a drink at sometime, but how do we identify each other? Should we all wear a pink carnation or something?

Clive

Hi Clive et al,

I'm also going to Witney, travelling down from Aberdeen on the Friday. I've been before and always enjoyed it, so if you have any queries I can probably help.

After registration on the Saturday, you'll have a name tag so recognition is not usually a problem.

See you - Steve

Assuming the same form as previous years - the Court Inn Friday evening - Henry Box Saturday & Sunday ... but do check out places to catch a bite at lunch time - there isn't too much time - and the eating places get crowded pretty quickly! The secondhand bookshop on Church Green (near the ButterMarket) is worth a visit - if they're open and if you have an interest in folky musical things.

If you've not been before - there are a couple of reports under "Learning to Play" from 1996 (Jon McNamara!) and 2000 (Samantha Boorer) - both when they were relativly new to the instrument! In general, I've always found people to be extremely friendly and sympathetic - after all we all suffer the same affliction - a love of concertinas! And don't worry if you're not very good - in general I've found the only people everyone loves to hate - are the brilliant players! :)

Relax, talk to everyone - and simply enjoy the weekend - and if you've got a problem - there will be pleant of people happy to help you

JonMac