Advice on getting a "second" concertina

After waiting for one and a half year, I got my Suttner concertina model A2 in C/G, wooden ends in late 2023. Before owning the Suttner, I bought a McNeela Phoenix (C/G) in 2018, which is my first concertina. I once owned a McNeela Swan and it was recently sold. 

The Suttner is now my “main” concertina and the Phoenix is kind of the “second” concertina. I am thinking what a “second” concertina I am looking for. My target is to get a new concertina, with metal ends, around GBP2,000. For this budget I think I can only get a hybrid concertina. I am considering Marcus’s Deluxe Anglo concertina: it has metal ends and it is under my budget. 

I solely play ITM on concertina. I am thinking if my second concertina should also be in C/G or other tunings such as C#/G# or Bb/F. I do not think I will get a G/D. 

Or, should I keep my Phoenix and rank it as the “third” concertina, and get a better concertina as the “second” one? I think that is unlikely to happen. 

Please suggest any brands that you think would fit my needs. Thank you. 

I have Marcus #101 (C/G) and it is a terrific instrument that is incredibly responsive (even after 25 years). Of the many hybrids I've owned and tried, it most sounds like a concertina with concertina reeds, and it is currently my favorite go-to Anglo concertina that I play every day.

I think a Marcus would be an excellent choice, but I don't think they do alternate tunings other than G/D. For ITM, I would think C/G would be most consistent with other players. 

Gary

• Like 1

I have two C/Gs. My primary C/G instrument is a nice Carroll model, the other is an older Edgley. 

I take the Edgley when I'm going to play outdoors camping or in other less than ideal conditions. 

For playing with pipers with flat sets in C and B I also have instruments in Bb/F and A/E.

I'll second Marcus for quality and service.  I had a new "Deluxe" GD many years ago and it was a perfectly good box, although a little on the heavy side.  This year, I bought a CG Traveller.  The quality and workmanship has improved in the intervening years, and the service remains friendly, and excellent.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, gcoover said:

I think a Marcus would be an excellent choice, but I don't think they do alternate tunings other than G/D.

Sorry to be picking on you, today, Gary.

As I understand Marcus’s web site (click “View” under the Deluxe, Standard/metal or Standard/wooden) they appear to do both C/G and G/D, with G/D costing an additional £160.

Edited by David Barnert
Fixed sloppy syntax

5 hours ago, Mikefule said:

...I had a new "Deluxe" GD many years ago and it was a perfectly good box...

I became the second custodian of this instrument in 2015, and use it regularly for Morris. It's a great instrument. It's been serviced once since I acquired it, and is still firing well on all 4 cylinders. I also have a Traveller and it too is first-rate...

Marcus are well worth investigating if you are after a 2nd instrument...

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Ming Cheng said:

I am thinking if my second concertina should also be in C/G or other tunings such as C#/G# or Bb/F. I do not think I will get a G/D.

I don't want to seem unkind, but I get the feeling you don't really know why you want a second instrument; just that you feel you should have one. So I'd suggest you forget the idea and concentrate on your new Suttner until you find some reason to "need" a second concertina.

Some possible reasons for a second concertina:

• You want to play in more keys.
  • You want two dramatically different sound qualities.
  • You want one that's much louder/quieter.
  • You don't like traveling with your expensive main instrument.
  • You sometimes want to lend an instrument to a friend who's interested in learning.
  • You want a backup in case your main one needs to be sent away for repairs.

Are you interested in any of those? Or things that aren't on the list? (I agree with Little John that you shouldn't feel obligated to get one Just Because.)

On 5/21/2024 at 2:22 AM, David Barnert said:

Sorry to be picking on you, today, Gary.

As I understand Marcus’s web site (click “View” under the Deluxe, Standard/metal or Standard/wooden) they appear to do both C/G and G/D, with G/D costing an additional £160.

David, that’s exactly what Gary said, isn’t it? 🫠

I have a top of the range, very expensive, Wakker, and a Marcus Deluxe. Most of the time I pick up the Marcus, and I would support everything everyone else has said about them. Particularly good for me they are only 2 hours away, but I doubt that applies to you 😄 And they do some of the finest hand straps, hand sewn by lovely lady on the premises.

Who needs an excuse for a second instrument, it's nice just to own a Marcus 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for all the replies and comments! It has been a while ago and now I finally have the time to read through all the comments you guys have made. I agree with what Martin said we just need an excuse to have a second instrument. Thank you for John for pointing out the necessity of getting a second concertina. Thank you Leah for laying out the reason to get a second concertina. 

I will confine myself to keep two concertinas only. I believe (I hope) the Marcus deluxe is nicer than the Phoenix and the Marcus will stay with me for the entire music journey in my life.