Looking For A Uk Repairer

Hi

I would be very grateful if you could point me in the right direction here.

I have played off and on for about 5 years on a basic Anglo but I have recently been given my father in law's Wheatsone Linota which dates to 1919.

He's owned it since 1966, but it has had little usage. (He bought an English at the same time and has always preferred that one). It's in its original case, complete with original "Wheatstone" straps which seen in remarkable condition. From my limited experience it s in good playable condition, with only one duff sounding reed which doesn't sound when "pushed". Bellows are fine and airtight, if a bit stiff.

However it does need a good service and revalving (there's quite a bit of sagging there) and I am looking for recommendations for a repairer, ideally in the South West as that's home.

Can anyone help please?

Many thanks

Adrian

Hi

Can anyone help please?

Many thanks

Adrian

Adrian,

Search for the 'Concertina FAQ' there are reputable repairers listed, and in your area. You have what sound like a fine and very, very valuable instrument, so get it done right! Then enjoy playing it.

Dave

Search for the 'Concertina FAQ' there are reputable repairers listed

Here is the Concertina FAQ. Go to the makers and Repairers section. I agree with Dave about your concertina.

In the south west (and indeed in the rest of the world come to that) there is no-one better than Colin and Rosalie Dipper at Heytesbury near Warminster. Their contact details are in the FAQ.

Cheers

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson

• 3 weeks later...

There are pitfalls here for the unwary!!!!

Many people purport to perform quality repairs. This is not always the case!

I recently had my G/D 46 key & Bflat/F 39 Key Jeffries overhauled after 25 years by Mike Acott Concertinas of Ipswich. I was delighted with the transformation and with the obvious care which had been lavished on my beautiful boxes. Mike's number, if you're interested, is 01473 743080. The price was very reasonable and the speed of turnround was unexpected.

Wherever you do eventually go for your repairs, give yourself the peace of mind of seeing examples of their work - if they're any good at all they should be capable of showing you several examples of their work and of providing plenty of referees for you to speak to. If they can't do either - run for your life (taking your concertina with you)!!!!!

Good Luck!

The only squeezebox repairer I know of in Somerset - Ivor Hyde - is an accordion man, albeit a very good one. If there is someone else beside the Dippers (just over the border in Wiltshire) I would be most interested to know for the FAQ.

Chris

Edited to add PS: Mike Acott is in the FAQ, Simon, after Colin Cater also spoke of him highly.

Edited by Chris Timson

• 4 months later...
Ivor Hyde - That's the name I'd seen.

This is quite an old thread, and it might also be old news; if I correctly recall details of a conversation with Colin Dipper, a few weeks back, Ivor Hyde has now retired from repair work.