Use Of Pseudonyms For Ids

I've seen this discussion come up from time to time on other forums I frequent. That it is an issue for some people is something I find interesting, because it doesn't really matter at all to me if someone calls himself Bob or Henry the VIII; we're having a chat, and I will call you whatever you like.

I use MUTT because, when I first got into a forum, it seemed that everyone chose a nickname; I didn't know why they did, but it seemed fun, so I picked one. Now that I've used that same nickname across several somewhat related forums, I like to keep MUTT so my friends in one place can recognize me in another. If I'd started using my real name I would have kept up with it, but since I presented myself as MUTT, I find it useful to keep doing so. (I use all caps because I didn't notice I had the caps lock on when I registered that first time until I'd saved everything; I found out later it was kind of like shouting, but I didn't mean it that way.)

If you're curious, I'm George Knight and I rather like the name.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose king trumps knight but knight is a good name for sure. People called king should not get excited because they are no more likely than the next man to come from royalty. The name probably refers to someone working in the king's household. King's Swineherd, for example.

How you get from a knight to a dog with dubious ancestry is quite another matter (just pulling your leg George).

Ian

I find that people who are rude on forums often hide behind pseudonyms (though the reverse does not necessarily apply). One forum I used closed down because the owner got fed up moderating the nastiness. When another forum was set up by the former members of the previous forum, they asked people to use their real name, please, or at least make it available. Wikipedia also asks people to register their real name. Though of course these are requests, not enforceable.

I use my real name because it is an indication that I stand by what I post and am not ashamed of it. It is an indication of the level of trust other users may wish to have in me.

I've seen this discussion come up from time to time on other forums I frequent. That it is an issue for some people is something I find interesting, because it doesn't really matter at all to me if someone calls himself Bob or Henry the VIII; we're having a chat, and I will call you whatever you like.

I use MUTT because, when I first got into a forum, it seemed that everyone chose a nickname; I didn't know why they did, but it seemed fun, so I picked one. Now that I've used that same nickname across several somewhat related forums, I like to keep MUTT so my friends in one place can recognize me in another. If I'd started using my real name I would have kept up with it, but since I presented myself as MUTT, I find it useful to keep doing so. (I use all caps because I didn't notice I had the caps lock on when I registered that first time until I'd saved everything; I found out later it was kind of like shouting, but I didn't mean it that way.)

Pretty much the same for me. Years ago, in a completely different venue, I signed on as dwinterfield aka Daisy, our 13 yr old English Setter with tan ticking on a white background, looking very much like a field in winter. Since then, I've used that name on many web sites simply because it's easy for me to remember. On more "formal" or "legal" sites I'm Mark Mahoney. I've found that if I have too many names on the web I often forget who I am.

. . . How you get from a knight to a dog with dubious ancestry is quite another matter (just pulling your leg George).

Ian

It seems the family fell on hard times. Something about damsels and dragons and running away. I'm not clear on all the details. :P

I'm surprised how many people seem to think that people are hiding behind false names and being more rude because of it.

My reason for not revealing my full name is because I'm a minor and as highly as I think of you all I don't use my full name on the internet ever. Let me stress that it's not because of any of you, it's because anyone in the world with an internet connection can see what I write here or on the other forums I frequent and I'm not entirely comfortable about the fact that they may be able to find the small town I live in and track me down. Not entirely plausible, I know, but possible. And no, in case you were wondering I'm not a criminal on the run. ;)

Another reason is that my full name doesn't really tell anyone much about myself. I chose "Fiddlehead Fern" because, for one, I play the fiddle and my first name is Fern. Also, since I'm relatively young and a musician I like the metaphor of a fern unfolding, in other words, hopefully I'll get better at my playing someday! :P That's why you know me by this name here; it alludes to my real first name, it describes who I am as a musician and indicates to some extent (in my mind at least) where I want to go eventually.

Of course, if anyone already knows me they would probably be able to tell who I was pretty easily, after all how many 16 year old girls play concertina and are interested in 17th and 18th century history and tall ships along with a talent for climbing trees?! :ph34r:

I'm surprised how many people seem to think that people are hiding behind false names and being more rude because of it.

My reason for not revealing my full name is because I'm a minor and as highly as I think of you all I don't use my full name on the internet ever. Let me stress that it's not because of any of you, it's because anyone in the world with an internet connection can see what I write here or on the other forums I frequent and I'm not entirely comfortable about the fact that they may be able to find the small town I live in and track me down. Not entirely plausible, I know, but possible. And no, in case you were wondering I'm not a criminal on the run. ;)

Another reason is that my full name doesn't really tell anyone much about myself. I chose "Fiddlehead Fern" because, for one, I play the fiddle and my first name is Fern. Also, since I'm relatively young and a musician I like the metaphor of a fern unfolding, in other words, hopefully I'll get better at my playing someday! :P That's why you know me by this name here; it alludes to my real first name, it describes who I am as a musician and indicates to some extent (in my mind at least) where I want to go eventually.

Of course, if anyone already knows me they would probably be able to tell who I was pretty easily, after all how many 16 year old girls play concertina and are interested in 17th and 18th century history and tall ships along with a talent for climbing trees?! :ph34r:

You can go by whatever monicker you like so far as I'm concerned. It's just that this will all die out without some youngsters taking an nterest and you being one of them is simply great news from where I'm standing.

I used to be a pretty good tree climber as a nipper and I often climbed over the wall of the castle just down the road from me too. Last time I saw the castle I could hardly believe that myself. Now I would only do such things if my life depended on it. The one enemy no-one can defeat.

Ian

I find that people who are rude on forums often hide behind pseudonyms (though the reverse does not necessarily apply). One forum I used closed down because the owner got fed up moderating the nastiness. When another forum was set up by the former members of the previous forum, they asked people to use their real name, please, or at least make it available. Wikipedia also asks people to register their real name. Though of course these are requests, not enforceable.

I use my real name because it is an indication that I stand by what I post and am not ashamed of it. It is an indication of the level of trust other users may wish to have in me.

I totally agree with you Ivan.I am happy with the overall idea of pseudonyms and the reasons that people use them,as has been stated there are some who hide behind these false names.They seem to take some delight with taking people on.Selecting certain words,sentences,bad spelling,pronunciation etc to try and make their point and insist on the last word, without listening to the other persons point of view.Jim Lucas is a star with regards to personal disputes he contacts the person (s) privately and talks it over there,he does not continue the argument publicly unless provoked by the other party .If only a few others would do this

there would not be these private battles that certainly I do not like to read or get involved in.Others use their false names to make political points of view,some which they would dare not use if they used their own name.Luckily Religion and Politics are not discussed on this site, we usually restrict our conversations to mainly concertina issues with the odd story of interest.This is a friendly site,with many giving their time,music and advice ,free of charge with no financial gain.

Please keep it that way. Sorry for the aggression ,but I feel very strongly about this subject.

Al

The problems that I see on other forums (not this one) are more related to multiple identities that to anonymity per se.

If a forum doesn't enforce (or at least attempt to enforce) a policy of one ID per member, some people will create new identities on the fly that they will then use to hurl insults and troll for arguments.

In addition to a one-ID rule, a policy of moderating the first X posts of a new member also helps maintain civil discourse.

I used to be a pretty good tree climber as a nipper and I often climbed over the wall of the castle just down the road from me too. Last time I saw the castle I could hardly believe that myself. Now I would only do such things if my life depended on it. The one enemy no-one can defeat.

Ian

You have a castle down the road from you. *faintly* A real castle, like a big huge imposing stone building they talk about in fairy tales. Wow. :blink: Yes, I'm an American who has never actually seen a real castle, much less lived down the road from one and climbed the walls for fun. I plan to see one someday though. ;)

Here I thought it was pretty cool that I lived on a creek where we find all manner of pottery shards and a cannonball once and have a tree that was used as a landmark during the Civil War......oh well. :P

Here I thought it was pretty cool that I lived on a creek where we find all manner of pottery shards and a cannonball once and have a tree that was used as a landmark during the Civil War......oh well. :P

Talking of Civil Wars, during the English one, a minor battle (Alton, Hampshire) saw the action finish up in the local church. If you look in the photos below, the second one is a close-up of stonework at the bottom left of the doorway. Holes from musket balls can still be seen in stone which, at some date, will need to be replaced.

My family lived about four miles from this church at the time!

On the subject of pseudonyms, if I had one, I'd probably get totally confused and end up trying to message myself! Many years ago, in one class at school, out of about 40 boys, 8 of us were named Peter. Nowadays, I hardly ever find someone else with this name. Reminds me of a certain song ........

Where have all the Peters gone ............ ? :unsure:

post-1710-1232966245_thumb.jpg

post-1710-1232966257_thumb.jpg

Talking of Civil Wars, during the English one, a minor battle (Alton, Hampshire) saw the action finish up in the local church. If you look in the photos below, the second one is a close-up of stonework at the bottom left of the doorway. Holes from musket balls can still be seen in stone which, at some date, will need to be replaced.

On the subject of pseudonyms, if I had one, I'd probably get totally confused and end up trying to message myself! Many years ago, in one class at school, out of about 40 boys, 8 of us were named Peter. Nowadays, I hardly ever find someone else with this name. Reminds me of a certain song ........

I live in a lane that leads to a Twelfth Century church it is always open ,but rarely gets visitors.It is strange that in the UK we are surrounded by these old interesting buildings which in general are taken for granted.Our little Church situated in America I am sure would create a lot more interest.

Peter T the Concertina player we ALL know who that is.

Al

I was thinking my ID is more of a Nom de Plume than Pseudonym....becuase I consistently use the same name to represent me. ;) :blink:

Many years ago, in one class at school, out of about 40 boys, 8 of us were named Peter.

there were lots of sarah's not only in my class but my year...it was very annoying...I never knew if I was the Sarah they meant....usually wasn't me...coz I was invisible.

I live in a lane that leads to a Twelfth Century church it is always open ,but rarely gets visitors.It is strange that in the UK we are surrounded by these old interesting buildings which in general are taken for granted.Our little Church situated in America I am sure would create a lot more interest.

I had the pleasure of visiting this church in July 2006. I was cycling to Wakehurst Place (where the BBC Antiques Roadshow was being filmed), and stopped when I found that refreshments were being served in the church hall.

Luckily, the church was being decorated for the flower festival which, I was told, only takes place every 10 years.

Regards,

Peter.

I never knew if I was the Sarah they meant....usually wasn't me...coz I was invisible.

Somewhere else; time travelling at a young age!

With us, the christian name was always followed by the surname. I'll never know how teachers remembered all these names from day one (it seemed) and never made a mistake. I just wish I could remember the names of my friends, correctly!

Interestingly, the defender of Alton Church was Si Richard Bolles and I belonged to his Regiment of Foote when doing English Civil War reenactment as a kid. We were based in Pompey area and finally were forcibly disbanded by the Army Council on dubious grounds.

I don't live near a castle now only the Grand Union Canal.

Ian

Edited by Hereward

Climbing tree? Yuk! (I'm so afraid of heights; to a positively phobic degree). An interest in history and a love of the elegance of Tall Ships, playing concertina and a fascination with 'real' castles are all things dear to my heart. Half an hour from me I have this and this. Enlarge that circle to an hour and I'd be spoilt for choice.

As to your choice to have a pseudonym, I think it very wise; you have nothing to hide but everything to protect. I've used my username for some time because I used to frequent a forum that attracted the unwanted attention of political extremists because of the outspoken opinions of the singer/songwriter whose music I admired. I was never really into the politics but that's quite difficult to explain to a thug with a mission.

Fortunately concertinas seem to be particularly politically neutral. :D

Climbing tree? Yuk! (I'm so afraid of heights; to a positively phobic degree). An interest in history and a love of the elegance of Tall Ships, playing concertina and a fascination with 'real' castles are all things dear to my heart. Half an hour from me I have this and this. Enlarge that circle to an hour and I'd be spoilt for choice.

Afraid of heights but interested in tall ships? Hmm. One of the most exciting moments of my existence so far was last year (was it that long ago already?!) when I found myself, oh, maybe 50' above the deck of the ship I was beginning to understand with my face pressed into the futtock shrouds waiting for my turn to go onto the roundtop. The rigging looked disconcertingly different from up there, and I was nervously contemplating how I was going to haul myself up without looking like a total idiot. All the while reminding myself that I really, really, REALLY wanted to be there! Of course, I'm hoping this summer to go on another ship with a rig height of 120'.......eep! Just, you know, thought I'd share that with a fell ship enthusiast. Gotta brag now and then. ;) :rolleyes:

Those castles are beautiful! I always grin when I hear of Kent, England since that's my dad's name. Or the Duke of Kent waltz, which I learned on the concertina the other day (in keeping with the general theme of these forums).