Use Of Pseudonyms For Ids

I noticed a few posts in the thread, "Do you like the new forum," taking issue with the use of pseudonyms for IDs instead of 'real' names. So, I'll tell you why I use 'bellowbelle' instead of my 'real' name (which I previously used in the forum), Wendy Stanford. Maybe someone else has other reasons for their own use of a nickname ID.

When I first started posting anything on the internet, I didn't want my real name to show up anywhere (guess I didn't think of the internet as being 'real.') But, most people, especially those who do any kind of creative work like writing songs or needlework patterns, etc., use a real name because of copyright issues or whatever. So, I 'joined the crowd' and used my real name. And, since I have a website domain, it's easy to find out my info by searching through domain ownership sites, anyway. -- So, no point in being mysterious!

But, for one thing, my last name is associated with my husband's work and business (since it is, after all, HIS name!). I don't want any confusion in that area, either good or bad. I am 'kind of' a part of his business/company, but....well, let's just say that it seems wiser to not attach everything to my real surname.

Another reason for a 'handle' -- I DO value my copyrights, on my crochet patterns and music and whatever, BUT, I'm not interested in going to war over it. In other words, if someone is going to steal my work, they can steal it from 'bellowbelle' and not from 'Stanford' -- because if I should take them to court and sue them over it, but don't bother to, then I'll look negligent. In other words, There won't be much stolen 'Stanford' stuff floating around (I hope) because it was written by some flake called 'bellowbelle.' So, Mrs. Stanford can carry on her business with the usual dignity -- she didn't just 'look the other way' and let that stolen dishcloth pattern, or aria, get past her!

I think a pseudonym gives a sense of not taking the whole internet thing too seriously, which describes me. I do take it seriously, but, if I lose my computer ability, well...I'm not sure I'd bother to build it all up again.

So, I'm bellowbelle.....I used my real name for a while in the old forum, though, because it did seem kind of out-of-place, there.

Lastly, but not least....a notable accordion player (who uses his REAL name) told me he thought it was a CUTE name!! (I'm sorry for mentioning an accordion player here, but... :) :P

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oddly enough, I use the handle ConcertinaChap on all the other fora I use (which don't have any concertina content) but here I use my real name. When I set up my login the idea of doing otherwise never occurred to me. I'm thinking very carefully why this might be.

I think it's a family thing. This forum is not big, as these things go - compare Mudcat. In the larger arenas I am just one voice among many, and my name is not significant, so I choose a handle that says something about what I am. Here, I have at one time or another met a significant proportion of the other listees in the flesh, and have corresponded directly with many more. I have created a site that, on the topic, is only second to this one in the traffic it gets. I think it's that I'm proud to be me in this forum, and don't want to disguise the fact. I don't know, is that egotistical? Well, warts and all, there it is.

Chris

Anonymity is important for preserving privacy. Celebrities are often targets of fraud schemes and find that a public pseudoname affords a modist layer of protection.

We may also wish to do business with one another using our legal identity without bearing the emotional scars boune of some disagreement regarding the quality of service rendered by the Multiversal Concertina Association.

How bout this proverb:

fools names as fools faces, always seen in public places.

:ph34r:

The use of pseudonyms is not a desirable thing for me. Stange or "unreal" names I will, perhaps get used to, but I doubt it. When I see Jim Lucas's name or Goran's, I conjure up a mental picture of that person. He or she becomes real in my mind. Gender is usually evident. But how does one picture "squeezerperson", or "bellowsfool" in one's imagination, or indeed take it seriously? And what nefarious reasons does one have for concealing their identity, anyway? <_<

The really strange thing for me is/will be that there may be several individuals now using pseudonyms with whom I've conversed before, but I won't know who is who. And I must say I'll wonder why people I've known by name in the past find it necessary -- or even simply attractive -- to avoid using their real name.

OK, maybe they just like the pseudonym, and nicknames they're already used to are another story. After all, my "real" name is James, not Jim. And I think it's cool that Wendy wants to be "bellowbelle", now that I know that this is the same person I knew as Wendy Stanford in the old Forum. But folks who have been here under another name and don't come forward to tell us who they "are"... I'll wonder what they're trying to hide and why.

As for myself, I'm not particularly outgoing, but I've never wanted to pretend I was somebody else. Jim Lucas is proud of the good things he's done, and not afraid to take responsibility for his mistakes.

But I do find it strange that this Forum's interface where you can put personal information about yourself has places for your birthday (which some people consider *very* personal), and for AOL id, MSN id, yahoo id, etc., but no place for your REAL name, even if you would want to put it there.

The forums interface was confusing to me after I had completed it.

It didn't know who I was? I realized I didn't intend my screen name

would replace my real name.

I tried to change it as Paul says it can be done, but so far its' been

beyond me. I always get an error popup which forces me to reboot.

Hopefully changes can be made to personalize it as on the old forum.

It smacks of the impersonal "Ebay" and hopefully not eventually the contentious

"Freerepupublic".

The forums interface was confusing to me after I had completed it.

It didn't know who I was? I realized I didn't intend my screen name would replace my real name.

I tried to change it as Paul says it can be done, but so far its' been

beyond me.

Yes, it would be nice to have more explanation as to what will happen to which input when you sign-in to become a member of this forum. I made the same mistake you did

and contacted Paul about changing my screen name (username, whatever).

It can be done, but not by a user. Only a sysop can change a username, and he did change mine for me. So if you want yours changed you'll have to ask him to do it rather than ask if it can be done.

• 5 years later...

I've always used a psudonym, since I first got onto the internet (as I was still at school I used a psudonym for security)...more people know me by that than my real name. Whenever I've used my actual name I've been mistaken for other Sarah's so I stick to ladydetemps or LDT (if I want to shorten it).

I always find it really odd when people use their real names as their forum ID as I've been so used to Doctor Who forums with people called 'Timelordsrock23' as ID's.

I wanted to use 'newgrange' as my name on the forum and I thought I had filled that in, but instead my email address shows.

It's not major, but if there was an admin could change that, I'd be grateful.

Complete beginner here btw, waiting on my Rochelle to arrive.

I wanted to use 'newgrange' as my name on the forum and I thought I had filled that in, but instead my email address shows.

I'm virtually a complete beginner too. Welcome (whatever name you go by)!

Ian

My recollection was that _you_ can change it, if you remember your login password (use My Controls near top of screen). If it doesn't work let me know.

Ken

My recollection was that _you_ can change it, if you remember your login password (use My Controls near top of screen). If it doesn't work let me know.

Ken

Users can change about everything but *not* their username....

I always sign up under my real name as I'm too unimaginative, or perhaps too lazy, to think of a suitably smartarsed nickname which I'm prepared to be known by for the rest of cybertime.

Also, it keeps me honest! If I post something, I'm aware I may have to repeat, and if necessary defend, it in the real world.

The use of pseudonyms is not a desirable thing for me. Stange or "unreal" names I will, perhaps get used to, but I doubt it. When I see Jim Lucas's name or Goran's, I conjure up a mental picture of that person. He or she becomes real in my mind. Gender is usually evident. But how does one picture "squeezerperson", or "bellowsfool" in one's imagination, or indeed take it seriously? And what nefarious reasons does one have for concealing their identity, anyway? <_<

There isn't anything particularly unique about my real name. If I Goggle it, I'll find any number of individuals from all walks of life with the same one. Messages posted here can be Googled too. Why add to the confusion (or misidentification)? Alan Smithee.... really? No. Mike