New Noel Hill Release

Just becouse from concertina.net front page seems you are not aware of it, I'm happy to comunicate that the new Noel Hill album is avaible from Custy's from Friday 29/07/2005... I'll attach the mail who comunicate me it:

Da::::::::::::: [::::::::::::::]

Inviato: venerdì 29 luglio 2005 8.57

A: dario::::::::::::

Oggetto: Re New Noel Hill release

Hi Dario!

Noel Hill has a new concertina album out and I'll have it later on today.

He contacted me earlier and is happy with the result - 18years since"Irish Concertina".

I should have it on the website later on today.

Regards!

http://www.custysmusic.com/mall/CustysTrad...uct-2576268.stm

post-1270-1123271695.jpg

Just becouse from concertina.net front page seems you are not aware of it, I'm happy to comunicate that  the new Noel Hill album is avaible from Custy's from Friday 29/07/2005... I'll attach the mail who comunicate me it:

Mmm.. Cool. Noel hasn't figured prominently on any CD in more than a decade. With the likes of Tim Collins and Mícheál Ó Raghallaigh producing some stunning CDs, I wonder if Noel is feeling some pressure to maintain his rep as king of Irish Concertina players? :)

--

Bill

Quote from Bill McHale:

"Mmm.. Cool. Noel hasn't figured prominently on any CD in more than a decade. With the likes of Tim Collins and Mícheál Ó Raghallaigh producing some stunning CDs, I wonder if Noel is feeling some pressure to maintain his rep as king of Irish Concertina players?" :)

Any musical performer's reputation is built on how he or she plays or sings -- not on how many CDs they put out. And Noel's playing says it all. Having been a regular at Noel's US classes for over 10 years, I am comfortable in saying Noel's CD release has nothing to do with the "pressure" you describe. Noel has been extremely active in playing and teaching both in Ireland and in the US. Take a look at his concert schedule here in the US during his three weeks of teaching classes this summer and you'll see he's a very busy performer. Add to that his responsibilities as a single father to two young children and you will better see that time has been a big limiting factor in his life.

Ever since he did some preliminary recording for a new CD back in 1996 at Bucksteep, Noel has kept a new CD project in his mind but never had the time. Then there's the money involved is this process -- which he handled from start to finish.

At our 2005 NY NHICS class, Noel told us that he hopes that this CD is like a certain Dublin bus: nothing shows up for a long time, and then there's a string of them. So maybe we'll have a nice series of CDs to look forward to.

In the meantime, just enjoy this new CD -- there's some great music on it.

Ross

There are three tracks of Noel live on the Anglo International Cd collection.

These recordings came to us at the same time he was making this Cd. At this moment in time we are not sure if the recordings we received are duplicated on this album.If they are I will be honest enough to let you know.Without the track list

I do not know at this stage.

Al

"Mmm.. Cool. Noel hasn't figured prominently on any CD in more than a decade. With the likes of Tim Collins and Mícheál Ó Raghallaigh producing some stunning CDs, I wonder if Noel is feeling some pressure to maintain his rep as king of Irish Concertina players? :)"

Or perhaps the constant badgering from all his students for a new cd finally drove him to record one? Score one for our team!!

I know that Noel has been gathering material for a new cd for at least two years.

(And Ross indicates perhaps for as long as 9 years!) Noel is a perfectionist (just listen to his playing) and a very active single father. Given his high standards and the demands on his time I just feel lucky that he got it done.

I like Tim Collins' cd and immensly enjoyed Michael O Raghallaigh's Catskill class and his recording. Noel was my introduction to a continuing love affair with the Irish Concertina. That said, I'd rather celebrate than speculate on the latest Noel Hill cd. Hmm. Except to ask:

OK, Noel, when is the next one coming out?!!?

Regards,

Greg J

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

Ross,

I was more poking fun than anything when I suggested that Noel might be feeling pressure from some of the very talented concertina players who have released CDs in the last few years.

That being said, it is to a certain extent sad but true that producing CDs is an important part of a musician maintaining their standing in Irish Music (or in any musical genre for that matter). Even with a very busy touring schedule a musician (or groups as the case may be) can only hope to hit so many places every year. Producing new CDs is an important part of keeping themselves in the mind of the listening public. This is true even if their CDs remain in print (as of course Noel's have). No matter how well someone is regarded by the afficianados of an instrument they will fade from the radar if new material is not forth coming.

All that being said, I am very glad that there is a new Noel Hill CD coming out (for whatever reason) and now just deciding if there are any other CDs at Custy's before I order.

--

Bill

Edited by bill_mchale

Can someone post the track list for Noel's new CD?  The Custy's site doesn't have it, they only show the cover art.

I'm reporting live from Noel Hill Irish Concertina School in Newberg, Oregon, where the Tilikum Retreat Center now has wireless Internet (although there's only one public-use phone, and only a few people people can get cell-phone service if they stand in the right spot on the hill).

I haven't heard Noel's new CD yet, but I have a copy in front of me, so here's the track list.

1. Farrell O'Gara/The Crooked Road/The Stoney Steps (reels)

2. The Humours of Ballyloughlin (double jig)

3. Tom Ward's Downfall/Drowsie Maggie (reels)

4. The Mountains of Pomeroy (song air)

5. Stirling Castle/South to the Grampians/The Cocktail (stratspeys/reel)

6. Padraig O'Keefe's/The Humours of Ballydaly (slides)

7. The Ballydesmond/Mairi's Wedding/TheNewmarket/Tom Billy Murphy's (polkas)

8. Boulavouge (song air)

9. McGettrick's/Lad O'Beirne's Favorite (reels)

10. Boys of Ballisadare/Comb Your Hair and Curl It/The Foxhunter's Jig/McFadden's Favourite/The Dairymaid (slip 'hop' jigs/reels)

11. Ask My Father/The Boys of Bluehill (single jig/hornpipe)

12. The Wind That Shakes the Barley/The Steampacket/TheMountain Top/Devanney's Goat (reels)

After two days of classes we've been given two Paddy Fahy jigs, the reels in set #9, the air Boulavouge (#8), and Tom Billy Murphy's polka (in set #7) ... so I gotta go practice.

• 2 weeks later...

:)

I got Noel Hill's new cd about a week ago. It quickly became my favorite concertina cd (I have a dozen or so other concertina cd's).

The tune selections are great. Noel is not only an exceptional musician, he is somewhat of an Irish-trad music historian as evidenced by the notes that he has included with the cd. He could probably write a very ineresting book about Irish trad music. I have heard that he plans to put out his own tune book. I hope that he will include a lot background information with those tunes.

In summary, he didn't pinch pennys in putting the cd together. The case, graphics, and notes are nice. The production is wonderful. And the tunes are great.

I recommend this cd.

:)