Concertina Building

Beautiful work with the pics that are posted Hendrik! I sense that like myself, the project itself can be the most entertaining of all. I would like to add a little opinion of my own, if i might. Mr. Edgely has posted here many times and has explained his type of action in some detail, and although you are committed to the post and rivet style, in the future you might consider his work on this topic. I have played one of his boxes for about 3 years now, and don't really see many improvement that could be made, and it's so simple. 14 gauge stainless steel bicycle spokes, bent to enter the posts from the sides, no felt required except under the unturned delrin button for quiet. a self locking ring secures the spoke lever to the button. threaded brass wire rod with a short loop on the end takes the place of a riveted action. you'll have to buy an Edgely to see the spring style and all the rest, but it is pure simplicity, and nothing to wear out! Very Quiet. I just shake my head when I hear all the fuss about replacing worn out rivets and such. i'm rebuilding a Lachenal now with the flat staple-like posts, and if i don't care for the action when it's done, i'll just replace the whole thing with the Edgely action. BTW, stella is a french bicycle i seem to collect and my 'tina has 24 buttons. so no not female. i should register with my given name.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, stella is a french bicycle i seem to collect and my 'tina has 24 buttons. so no not female. i should register with my given name.

It's a complaint I've made before that a member's information page includes a field for birthday and four for "Communicate" options that I have never had any use for (and now can't even identify, because they're marked with irrelevant icons and no explanatory text), but there's no field to enter your real name if its different from your signon name... unless you want slip it in under "Additional Information".

Beautiful work with the pics that are posted Hendrik! I sense that like myself, the project itself can be the most entertaining of all. I would like to add a little opinion of my own, if i might. Mr. Edgely has posted here many times and has explained his type of action in some detail, and although you are committed to the post and rivet style, in the future you might consider his work on this topic. I have played one of his boxes for about 3 years now, and don't really see many improvement that could be made, and it's so simple. 14 gauge stainless steel bicycle spokes, bent to enter the posts from the sides, no felt required except under the unturned delrin button for quiet. a self locking ring secures the spoke lever to the button. threaded brass wire rod with a short loop on the end takes the place of a riveted action. you'll have to buy an Edgely to see the spring style and all the rest, but it is pure simplicity, and nothing to wear out! Very Quiet. I just shake my head when I hear all the fuss about replacing worn out rivets and such. i'm rebuilding a Lachenal now with the flat staple-like posts, and if i don't care for the action when it's done, i'll just replace the whole thing with the Edgely action. BTW, stella is a french bicycle i seem to collect and my 'tina has 24 buttons. so no not female. i should register with my given name.

Hi, Stella, and thanks, nice to hear!

I gave the action a lot of thought. I suspect that the choice - tricky, expensive (but good) was made partly to see if I could do it.

So - it's out! I admit! :wacko: Because from a production point of view it is too complicated. The action is really a field for innovation: combining simplicity with smooth functionality and silent movement - I'd love to get my eyes and hands on one of Frank's machines - if he is at Éigse Mrs. Crotty next year, I may have a chance.

/Henrik

• 4 weeks later...
Allright, c.net!

As a New Year greeting, a new page (17) has been added to the building site. It's all about holes!

A Happy New Year to All!

/Henrik

Henrik

Thanks for the update! Looking at your website your building progress is about 61% (page 17 of a total of 28

:) ). With this tempo you might be ready for the SSI 2006 ;) .

Another conclusion that I make from your website is that there must be a lot of snow in Sweden: even the banner of your web site is showing some snow:

TitleBanner.jpg

We (in the Netherlands) are expecting a snowstorm this evening, but the woodfire is burning and I can smell diner and I just poured in a glass of Dutch genever, so what the heck!

Bottoms up for the New Year

Thanks for the update! Looking at your website your building progress is about 61% (page 17 of a total of 28

:) ). With this tempo you might be ready for the SSI 2006 ;)

... and I just poured in a glass of Dutch genever, so what the heck!

Bottoms up for the New Year

Well, Henk - 28 just filled out the page nicely - have no idea if it will fit :D

Oude Genever? A favorite!

Happy New Year!

/Henrik

• 1 month later...

Girls & Boys of the World Wide Concertina Web!

The time has finally come to proceed to the next step in the building process - this time it is about holes and the start of an action thriller (pun intended).

I am talking about page 18 and 19, added right now to my site (adress at the bottom of this post) - click "[Enter the kitchen...]", "[Kitchen-table Concertina Building]" and a page number. Light is appearing at the end of the tunnel!

/Henrik

• 1 month later...
Light is appearing at the end of the tunnel!

/Henrik

Thanks for the update Henrik, it's looking great and very professional.

Looking forward to the next update and to see and hear the finished beauty :)

I've been quiet for a while - but no news means good news: here is the next update!

post-448-1142595166.jpg post-448-1142595204.jpg post-448-1142595227.jpg

It's starting to look like something, it's airtight, and it can say "whooooooooosh...."

(I will start playing with sound when all the other stuff is finished (except, maybe, lacquer and final polish of the endplates).

Before someone asks - the snow on the "Concertina Matters" banner image means that we still have lots of snow here. Brrrrr!

For the benefit of dial-up users, the update is here

/Henrik

Talk about usage - I have 150 Bytes left on my web space! This means that I will use your kind offer, Henk, about moving my sound files to your server.

Light is appearing at the end of the tunnel!

/Henrik

Thanks for the update Henrik, it's looking great and very professional.

Looking forward to the next update and to see and hear the finished beauty :)

I've been quiet for a while - but no news means good news: here is the next update!

post-448-1142595166.jpg post-448-1142595204.jpg post-448-1142595227.jpg

It's starting to look like something, it's airtight, and it can say "whooooooooosh...."

(I will start playing with sound when all the other stuff is finished (except, maybe, lacquer and final polish of the endplates).

Before someone asks - the snow on the "Concertina Matters" banner image means that we still have lots of snow here. Brrrrr!

For the benefit of dial-up users, the update is here

/Henrik

Talk about usage - I have 150 Bytes left on my web space! This means that I will use your kind offer, Henk, about moving my sound files to your server.

Henrik

What a progress! By looking at the pictures even I can get very excited.

Drinking cofee while looking at your website can be quite a risk. While drinking my cofee I saw this picture:

HeavyMetal.jpg

and your comment: "Cover with cheese, 10 minutes, Gasmark 5"... I almost drowned in 150 ml of coffee :blink: :blink: :wacko:

Nevertheless you are welcome to send your sound-files!

Drinking cofee while looking at your website can be quite a risk. While drinking my cofee I saw this picture:

HeavyMetal.jpg

and your comment: "Cover with cheese, 10 minutes, Gasmark 5"... I almost drowned in 150 ml of coffee :blink: :blink: :wacko:

Of course I gave it a try, resulting in this...

post-37-1142604110_thumb.jpg

..I advise you Henrik to review the recipee... the result is rather disappointing :( :(

• 1 month later...

Of course I gave it a try, resulting in this...

post-37-1142604110_thumb.jpg

..I advise you Henrik to review the recipee... the result is rather disappointing :( :(

I could have told you, Henk - the "cheese" bit was a ploy, only to see if someone would do it :D

Jokes aside - the latest stuff has been added, folks - here - two pages, with some of the small, almost unbearable steps to the end goal. And I am going to the UK for one week - I don't have the time! The only consolation is that I intend to join a session in Harrogate tomorrrow night (Tuesday) - I've made a post of that on "General discussion" as well.

/Henrik

• 3 weeks later...

The time has come...

To announce that my prolonged pregnancy (little more than 9 months) has resulted in a well-shaped, well-behaving (and very loud) baby!

But you will have to wait just a wee bit more for pictures and sound clips:

I have decided - as a special treat to the attendants of the SSI 2006 - that they should be the first to see and heard the newcomer - tomorrow night.

After the SSI, I am sure that there will be plenty of media to indulge in!

/Henrik

The time has come...

To announce that my prolonged pregnancy (little more than 9 months) has resulted in a well-shaped, well-behaving (and very loud) baby!

I have decided - as a special treat to the attendants of the SSI 2006 - that they should be the first to see and hear the newcomer - tomorrow night.

I look forward to the first meeting between your new "baby" and that of Louise and Pontus. :)

I look forward to the first meeting between your new "baby" and that of Louise and Pontus. :)

Fortunately young Arvid had his own concertina and so didn't need to look at Henrik's beauty. And it was - beautiful, that is. Very well done Henrik!

Chris

Fortunately young Arvid had his own concertina and so didn't need to look at Henrik's beauty. And it was - beautiful, that is. Very well done Henrik!

Well, Arvid was definitely there when Henrik's "baby" was being played, though as far as I know the only picture that includes both babies is the traditional group photo of all attendees and instruments.

The concertina itself is lovely! It looks beautiful and plays like a dream. Action and response are superb. Sound is good, too. It has a number of technical innovations, none of which I would fault.

But I won't say more until Henrik posts his own update.

Once again, good morning, good day and good evening to all c.netters!

As the attendants at the SSI 2006 are aware of, my concertina building has now come to an end - meaning that it is ready and it plays:

(72 kBytes, approx. 13 seconds on dial-up)

post-448-1148573825_thumb.jpg

It is an English concertina, but it differs from a standard treble on the following:

Range:

1) It is accordion-reeded (I wanted the sound)

2) It has only 27 buttons - lots of accidentals/doublets are removed

Playability:

3) The pinkie rest is gone - it is meant to be played sitting down

4) It has a sort-of Anglo hand strap, meant to lie 45 degrees across the hand

5) The thumb strap is still there, but it is more narrow than normal - it is meant for the thumb to go all the way through (some players do, some don't, I don't (did?))

6) The spacing between buttons are wider - I wanted that

7) The buttons are slighty larger in diameter - I wanted that

8) The buttons go all the way through, right down to the metal - I wanted that, support my playing style

9) The keys cluster are offset upwards - since the buttons "in the eternal snow" are not there, I could move the whole thing up

Weight

10) I don't know - can't find the kitchen scales :D - but slightly more than 1 kilogram. The metal ends add a bit of weight.

11) ?? I probably forgot something :)

The whole process can be studied in most of its grisly details, starting here . The pages hold three to six photos each, size 20-45 kB, so even with a dial-up it should be possible.

Enjoy!

/Henrik

post-448-1148573825_thumb.jpg

It is an English concertina, but it differs from a standard treble on the following:

2) It has only 27 buttons - lots of accidentals/doublets are removed

I noticed, but not while playing common Irish tunes in D and G.

3) The pinkie rest is gone - it is meant to be played sitting down

4) It has a sort-of Anglo hand strap, meant to lie 45 degrees across the hand

5) The thumb strap is still there, but it is more narrow than normal - it is meant for the thumb to go all the way through (some players do, some don't, I don't (did?))

I played it while standing. Didn't even consider sitting.

I didn't stick my thumb all the way through the loop, though I did put it in farther than usual, because the relative positions of bar and loop encourage that.

6) The spacing between buttons are wider - I wanted that

7) The buttons are slighty larger in diameter - I wanted that

These differences, coupled with the different grip and angled bar, led my fingers to miss some buttons at first, but I adjusted to the differences after only a few tunes.

8) The buttons go all the way through, right down to the metal - I wanted that, support my playing style

9) The keys cluster are offset upwards - since the buttons "in the eternal snow" are not there, I could move the whole thing up

For myself, these seemed neither to help nor to hinder.

10) I don't know - can't find the kitchen scales :D - but slightly more than 1 kilogram. The metal ends add a bit of weight.

In any case, quite light. Almost as light as Anne Gregson's baritone Morse Albion.

All in all, a superb piece of work. Now, using the hourly rate that you earn on your "day job", what was the labor cost? :unsure: