Meeting Cnetters, Continued

The Tower of London was a thrill. Seeing As You Like It at the Wymdham was delightful. Whitby is fun, too. But the highlight of my trip in England so far has been....

Meeting Alan Day!! And sitting right beside him, playing his C/G Jeffries, watching him play Chocolate Rabbit, was a peak experience. The fact that it was at the George Inn, one of the oldest inns in England (The oldest, Alan?) only enhanced the whole experience.

Other instruments included two fiddles, a cello, a melodeon, flute, mandolin, and one gent who brought two recorders, bones, and small pipes. Fantastic music, great company, wonderful surroundings- thank you Alan for a lovely evening!

By the way, I forgot my camera, forgot the cd I had brought for Alan, forgot the bring with me back home the flowers I had bought for my cousin (don't think I'm always this absent-minded :rolleyes: )

I'm leaving my cousin's flat for a week on the road, so won't be able to check this until I'm back home on the 10th. But thanks again, Alan, for a wonderful time!

I am really pleased you enjoyed yourself.

Mark who broke his bass guitar on arrival when it slid down the wall, was given the flowers for his wife ,who comes out of hospital today.

My fear is that she will think that Mark purchased them for her and the shock will be so great it may put her back in hospital.

For those interested in old pubs may be interested to read about the George.

The session is held in the bar beneath the galleries.

www(dot)pubs/georse1.htm

Al

...it was at the George Inn, one of the oldest inns in England (The oldest, Alan?) only enhanced the whole experience.

I was told that the distinction of the oldest -- or at least the oldest continuously operating as a pub/inn -- belongs to the Trip to Jerusalem in Nottingham. But I was also told that T2J dates from 1066, so that if the George is even a distant second, it's no slouch! :)

I was told that the distinction of the oldest -- or at least the oldest continuously operating as a pub/inn -- belongs to the Trip to Jerusalem in Nottingham.  But I was also told that T2J dates from 1066 ...

The date on its outside wall claims that the Trip to Jerusalem, which is partly in caves under Nottingham Castle, goes back to 1189, though there is photographic evidence that it once displayed 1199. However, the Trip does claim to be the oldest inn in the world. Definitely worth dropping in for a pint, or three !

Nottingham’s second oldest pub, the Salutation, dates from 1240.

... so that if the George is even a distant second, it's no slouch! :)

The history of The George (first mentioned as the St. George) can be traced back to 1542 although it is likely that an inn existed on the site prior to that. It burnt down in 1676, but was immediately rebuilt to the original template.

...it was at the George Inn, one of the oldest inns in England (The oldest, Alan?) only enhanced the whole experience.

I was told that the distinction of the oldest -- or at least the oldest continuously operating as a pub/inn -- belongs to the Trip to Jerusalem in Nottingham. But I was also told that T2J dates from 1066, so that if the George is even a distant second, it's no slouch! :)

Didn't used to be a bad boozer the T2J although it's many years since I was in last.

As to the date. If I remember my property law correctly then 1189 is taken to stand for "Time immemorial" which is the "John Doe" of the property world, i.e if you didn't know how old it was then slot in 1189 and that would do :P

Didn't used to be a bad boozer the T2J although it's many years since I was in last.

I spent a pleasant evening there last year.

As to the date. If I remember my property law correctly then 1189 is taken to stand for "Time immemorial" which is the "John Doe" of the property world, i.e if you didn't know how old it was then slot in 1189 and that would do :P

In English law, time immemorial means "a time before legal history, and beyond legal memory." In 1276, this time was fixed by statute as the year 1189, the beginning of the reign of King Richard I. However, in 1832, the plan of dating legal memory from a fixed time was abandoned.

But as far as Trip to Jerusalem is concerned, it may have more to do with the start of the Third Crusade that year, and all those knights (maybe even Richard the Lionheart himself ?) stopping off for a pint of Kimberley Mild on the way. ;)

(Mind you, if you ask me they should have gone via Burton-on-Trent and sampled the Marstons Pedigree instead, they'd have beaten the Saracens then ! :ph34r: )

... I was also told that T2J dates from 1066 ... :)

And intriguingly, the Court of Chivalry is said to have defined "time immemorial" as the period before 1066, for the purposes of heraldry.

Of course the Kipper Family turned it into "time immoral", and used it in an album and songbook title, but that's another story ... :rolleyes:

Edited by Stephen Chambers

My memory isn't what it used to be (I keep on getting new ones) but when I lived in Nottingham I seem to remember the Trip to Jerusalem had 1183 posted as the original date. That was back in the early 1980s though.

Reminds me of the museum curator who was asked how old the Tyrannosaurus Rex was. 63 million and 14 years they replied. How could they be so accurate - well it was 63 million when I started here 14 years ago :blink:

But as far as Trip to Jerusalem is concerned, it may have more to do with the start of the Third Crusade that year, and all those knights (maybe even Richard the Lionheart himself ?) stopping off for a pint of Kimberley Mild  on the way. ;)

Living now in Montreal I recently was told that the small church here in Ste Anne de Bellevue on the Western tip of the island is where Franklin and his crew held a service to bless his trip when he went looking for the North West Passage. Not sure that it's a ringing endorsement for the Church though :ph34r:

And returning to the topic of meeting other cnetters...

I had the pleasure of meeting Peter Dickey this evening at a session at the White Swan in Greenside, just outside Gateshead. Its on every friday, though I'm not always there. The session tends to be light on squeezzers of all types so get along if you are visiting.

Theo

And returning to the topic of meeting other cnetters...

I had the pleasure of meeting Peter Dickey this evening at a session at the White Swan in Greenside, just outside Gateshead.  Its on every friday, though I'm not always there.  The session tends to be light on squeezzers of all types so get along if you are visiting.

Theo

I must say it was also a real pleasure to meet Theo - great to meet another C/netter - we had been playing alongside each other for over an hour and then chatted for several minutes before we each realised the other's identity :P .

That was my second visit to the Swan and both times I've found it very friendly with a nice mix of music. Well worth a visit.

Pete

:( Back home again... missing England -woke up at 4 am today dreaming of the scepter'd isle.

OK, I am glad to be done with living out of a suitcase, but I love England- it feels as though a part of me is still there.

I didn't meet any other CNetters, though I did go to the C# session-in-exile at the Exmouth Arms near Euston Station in London on Tuesday evening. There was an anglo concertinist named Richard who didn't know about C Net. He had the loveliest case I'd ever seen, made of wood with beautiful inlay. When I get my photos organized I'll post it (sorry, Alan- I did remember my camera this time!).:o

Had an email from Mark Evans greeting me (amongst the 137 other emails- I'll reply in a minute, Mark)!

And I look forward to meeting more CNetters at the NESI in Sept. But the George was still one of the highlights of my trip!

However, it's nice to be reunited with my beloved Jeffries, with its shiny new straps! :D