How Many English Players?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost on topic, How many folk singers does it take to change a lightbulb?

Two, one to change the bulb and the other to write a song about how good the old bulb was.

Derek :P

I thought it was 6, one to change the bulb, one to write the song, and four to sing it in full harmony

Edited by Lester Bailey

Almost on topic, How many folk singers does it take to change a lightbulb?

Two, one to change the bulb and the other to write a song about how good the old bulb was.

That's not a folk singer; that's a modern "folkie" singer-songwriter. A true folksinger would sing an old song about gas -- or maybe whale-oil -- lamps. ;)

I thought it was 6, one to change the bulb, one to write the song, and four to sing it in full harmony

Depends on the tradition. I think the Coppers did mainly 2-part stuff, though others took their arrangements and added more parts. Would four parts be right for West Gallery followers? :unsure: Then there were those sisters from Galway, who sang is such close unison, including the ornamentation, that the only way you could tell it wasn't a single voice was the change in timbre when one of them stopped singing while the other kept on. :)

who's going to invent a "doppler effect" lightbulb?

They're already quite common... well, sort of... as traffic lights.

It's actually an inverse Doppler (Relppod?) effect...

... As you approach a traffic light at high speed, the color wavelength gets downshifted, first to yellow, and then to red. Only after you've stopped does it return to the natural, unshifted frequency of green. (And if you could see that liight on the far side of the contraption as you sped away, you might see its fequency appear to shift upward to blue or purple.) B)

[The shades are to protect my eyes from the ultraviolet, in case you go too fast. :D]

The traffic lights reminded me of the driver who explained to the judge that it was the doppler effect on the red light that had caused him not to stop when he should have, as he thought it was a green light. He was fined for speeding!

Robin Madge