Session Swap

I have a lovely session of music from The George it is the whole evening from start to finish with talking,mistakes a mixture of English,French,Breton,Swedish etc.Some lovely tunes many of them new ,some written by the persons playing them including myself.Unlike my tutor tape,which is free of charge,for these two tapes I am charging not money but asking for a copy of your session in return.

To also bring you all closer together I would like to suggest that all those players who subscribe to this posting can contact each other to create your own session swap.Just click onto the subscribers name and email them through this site.

Since writing on this site my great pleasure has been making friends and exchanging music,for me it has been exciting and I have received some incredible music.It is with this thought in mind I hope you will join in what has become a very enjoyable offshoot to this website.

The only rules I would like to propose is that on no account should there be any critisism(unless constructive) of the playing, or any tunes recorded without the consent of the person playing them,unless it is known for definate that the tune is traditional.

Regards

Alan

The session I go to is all beginners -- it's advertised as a beginners session -- and the violin players (the majority) are not exactly in tune all the time. And, occasionally, we break down and lose the tune alltogether, even with the majority of us looking at sheet music. NO ONE would want to listen to us!

It's a nice idea, though...

I am sure Rhomylly that for reasons of embarrassment on a players behalf or members of the session objecting,nobody would mind the alternative,MUSIC OF YOUR CHOICE in the place of a recorded session.

I suddenly thought of our friend Eric Sorenson who`s only chance of a session is if the coyotes start playing a musical instrument.Unfortunately even they have stopped howling since Eric recieved my tapes.

Regards

Al

Hello Alan,

As I have been fortunate enough to have received this tape from you, I can tell everyone here that it it an outstanding recording of a wide variety of wonderful music. No the least of which are the waltzes you have composed! This does bring up another thought. That would be for this site to include a session listing. It would aide someone who is traveling to another city, town, country, etc., to find going sessions and contact info. I have used listingings on other sites, but I belive that "concertina.net" is the most active and up-to-date web page for us students of this "tortuous instrument". P.S. I will be sending some more unusual music soon.

Dan

Edited by Daniel Bradbury

Thank you Dan again.

I do not wish to turn this site into a mutual appreciation society but if I could recommend anyone to provide the most interesting music including rare archive material it would be Daniel.

Dan is a very talented banjo player and also does his bit for beginners having held banjo workshops and he is progressing too fast for my liking on the concertina.He also has a very talented daughter who sings and plays trumpet( far better than I ever did) in the Americas Youngest Jazz Band, the group is under the direction of Sonny La Rosa and the sound and production man,Daniel.

I have recieved some wonderful music from Dan there is very little World music he does not seem to know about.I have not discussed with him Outer Mongolian throat warbling music(see recent posting) but I bet he has the Greatest Hits volume two.

Why not send Dan some music and I promise you he will not dissapoint you.

Regards

Al

Well, I could go to the advanced once a month session and tape *that*...the two artists-in-residence from Ireland go to that one. Obviously, it's much better :)

Rhomylly, did I get the idea from somewhere that you live near Kansas City? If so, Mike Dugger or Chris Grotewohl or Connie Dover might be able to point you toward a session (or a teacher, though my brother Joe was the main B/C box and anglo player around K.C. and he's moved to Portland, OR.) Oh, yeah, who are the two artists in residence?

-Eric Root

I'd love to participate. I can record our Wednesday sessions, which offer a truly strange blend of music -- Irish, contra dance, jazz, Scandanavian, Scottish, etc. The concertina will be easily identified; I'm the only one there with a squeezebox. So how do we get onboard? What about recording formats?

Eric,

the artists in residence are from Ireland, recent grads with music degrees from some university there, I forget which. Um, their names are Helen Gubbins and Dierdre Harnedy. They lead a faster, intermediate jam here in town on Tuesdays, I think, and they're usually part of the advanced jam the second Thursday of each month.

But no one, not even an indulgent parent, would want to listen to the beginner slo-jam on Wednesdays! We're slow, off-key 90% of the time, and sometimes just totally lose the tune completely! And I can only play 6 tunes from a 40-tune list, so I have a long way to go before I advance to the next level of jam.

I know that the sessions I go to do not want to be recorded. A tape recorder was brought in once and the reaction was pretty serious. It isn't the playing being recorded but the conversations that I think people are worried about. They don't mind an odd tune recorded, but it must be switched off asap.

I reckon something must have happened a while ago.

As for lists of tunes, well I don't think we know half of them. It's a case of playing *someones* set or go on play *that* set. You know the one that goes ****

I could get a list together of ones we do that we KNOW names of, but it would only be a small minority. One session I used to go to (now defunct) I counted tunes for the first 150 then lost count. ;)

How would you want them?

Just a list posted here?

Sharron

Hallo Jim ,RohmyllySharron,and all

We all get on board by clicking onto the name of the person you want to contact and send them an email where it says click on.

I could not tell you the names of many of the tunes on my tape even if you asked me ,some I heard on that night and at our last session I did not hear them played at all.

I am not personally interested in detail just listening to the evening and the tunes you are playing and where you are playing them.I also could not care less about the quality of playing.We all make mistakes and if you want to hear some, mine are on my tape with others.I would not even mind a slowby as I might even start playing a bit of Irish music.

Please do not worry about quality and if you cannot offer a session tape I am sure somewhere in your music colletion you have something of interest.

Participation is the main aim of this idea.

Join me and Daniel and lets swap some lovely music.

Regards

Al

Thanks Alan for a really lovely idea.

I want to participate even though I am quite the newbie.

This really makes me feel like we are a community.

I mean that in a good way.

I like communities.

Thanks again for your generosity of spirit and great ideas.

Helen

I live in Kansas City and I would love to hear from folks in this area. I have found no one that plays in this area. I have been playing for several years and it's all been solo as Alan Day has pointed out. In fact, I live not so far from Rhomylly.

I have a tape that Alan sent to me and it is GREAT! It shows to me, a solo player, what can be done with a group of all sorts of instruments. It got me all fired up to play...all I have to do is find someone to play with.