FS: unique walnut-ended Wheatstone Aeola 56-key Tenor-Treble, gold fittings, non-ferrous reeds

SteveS

I’m selling another instrument from my collection.

This is a Wheatstone Aeola 56-key Tenor-Treble with non-ferrous reeds (serial number 29277).

It is a unique concertina that started life as an ebony-ended instrument.  I rebuilt it several years ago and documented some of the process on CNet at that time.  When I acquired it, the ends had decayed so much they were little more than sawdust held together by the ether.  There were other major things too - the reed chambers were also decayed, all leatherwork had gone - it was a bag of spare parts.  I essentially remanufactured this instrument and it is finished to an extremely high standard – as it might have come from the factory.

The raised ends are a walnut laminate comprising of burl walnut veneers, all finished with blonde shellac.  All metalwork is plated with 23ct gold.  The instrument received new bellows, new pads, new valves, new thumb straps, new wrist straps, and is tuned to concert pitch (A=440Hz).

The reeds are high quality non-ferrous reeds – Wheatstone called these tropicalised.  They are every bit as good as steel reeds, with one difference, they are much sweeter sounding than the steel equivalents.  This is ideal for a singer, and in fact I used to use this concertina a lot for song accompaniment.  It has a balanced tone, with plenty of dynamic range.

In excellent condition.

No case.

Located in Piemonte, Italy.

Price: €4750

If a potential buyer wishes, I’m happy to use an escrow service (e.g. escrow.com) to safeguard our transaction across the Internet.

IMG_6284.jpg

IMG_6285.jpg

IMG_6286.jpg

Edited by SteveS
  • Like 1

• SteveS changed the title to FS: unique walnut-ended Wheatstone Aeola 56-key Tenor-Treble, gold fittings, non-ferrous reeds

I  do  not  know  , specifically,  the  alloy  Wheatstone  used  for  their  'tropicalised'  reeds  but  imagine  it  would  be  a  Phosphor Bronze  which  is  a popular  metal  for  making  springs.  Usually   this  would  be 95% Copper,  4.75% Tin  and  0.25% Phosphor.

• 3 weeks later...