Wanted: Hayden Duet

vpo

Hello everyone. I’m looking to obtain a Hayden Duet, preferably a Beaumont or Peacock ( which I realise will be hard to find ) but will consider anything with at least 36 keys but preferably more. I currently play mostly jazz ballads and folk on my 2 Wheatstone English concertinas. Will appreciate any information if anyone knows someone who might be interested to sell. Thanks to all.

Edited by vpo
Simplify

51 minutes ago, vpo said:

Hello everyone. I’m looking to obtain a Hayden Duet, preferably a Beaumont or Peacock ( which I realise will be hard to find ) but will consider anything with at least 36 keys but preferably more. I currently play mostly jazz ballads and folk on my 2 Wheatstone English concertinas. Will appreciate any information if anyone knows someone who might be interested to sell. Thanks to all.

If you're not in too much hurry, I may be releasing 40-50b 3D printed Hayden later this year (late fall probably). The higher button count variant will cover similar range as Beaumont.

2 hours ago, vpo said:

will consider anything with at least 36 keys but preferably more

Concertina Connection sell the 36-key Troubadour - Wim Wakker introduced it in this thread

He also mentioned the proposed Peacock XL in that thresd - but he hasn't mentioned it since.

Where in the world are you? I think most Beaumonts are in the US - but I'm guessing. Does anybody know how many were made?

1 hour ago, Łukasz Martynowicz said:

If you're not in too much hurry, I may be releasing 40-50b 3D printed Hayden later this year

Is it a Hayden or Wicki layout - or haven't you decided

Edited by DaveRo

2 hours ago, DaveRo said:

Concertina Connection sell the 36-key Troubadour - Wim Wakker introduced it in this thread

He also mentioned the proposed Peacock XL in that thresd - but he hasn't mentioned it since.

Where in the world are you? I think most Beaumonts are in the US - but I'm guessing. Does anybody know how many were made?

Is it a Hayden or Wicki layout - or haven't you decided

There will be no slant if that is what you ask. Original Wicki layout also had mirrored fingering. 

Thanks to Dave and Lucasz. I’m aware of the Concertina Connection Troubadors and yes it seems they do the Peacock. Hoping to find something with more than the Troubador 36 keys. Can anyone advise on with or without slant preferences and opinions on mirrored layouts or otherwise. I’ve not played a Hayden but I also play a Bugari freebase button accordion, which has mirrored layout which I like and has the regularity of chord shapes.. It’s the size of that instrument I’m less keen on, as well as playing position.  Lucasz… do you have any info on your proposed Hayden yet I wonder, that perhaps you could message me with… idea of price etc. Am in West Sussex.. southern UK. Thanks

I started on a Stagi 46, which has a slant (each end different, neither as Brian Hayden specified) and now have a Peacock - no slant, not mirrored. The changeover didn't make much difference, absolute beginner as I was, but if I bought another - e.g. from Lukasz - I'd want it the same. And hopefully with a similar button spacing. I know that CC will make a mirrored layout - but does anybody actually play one?

I've briefly handled a Wheatstone 46 - with slant - but at the time I wasn't proficient enough to play it. It was remarkably small and light compared to my Stagi! But they are rare.

I'm on Kent/E. Sussex border. If you want to try my Peacock, PM me.

1 hour ago, vpo said:

Can anyone advise on with or without slant preferences and opinions on mirrored layouts or otherwise.

I’ve been playing with the Hayden-specified slant for nearly 40 years. When I first picked up a Beaumont, something felt odd, but I couldn’t place it. Then I realized it was the absence of the slant. But others seem to have no problem with it.

As far as the mirrored layout, I’m not aware that anybody has actually built one since the days of Kaspar Wicki, so unless you’re planning on commissioning one bespoke it’s likely the choice will be made for you.

Yes, The Troubadours seem to be offered mirrored or not as per preference, the others not so… but it’ll makes sense to go with what is commonly found, I’m sure. DaveRo, thanks for your very kind offer. I’m a bit tied up at the moment, but may pm you and take you up on that offer. Thanks a lot. I’m probably going to be selling my little Wheatstone Pinhole Aeola Treble English.. (will appear here in due course)  and Freebase accordion to part fund this so I suspect it’s going to take a little while unless exactly the right thing presents itself quickly. Thanks again to you both… if anyone hears of anyone selling secondhand, please point them my way:) Vince

1 hour ago, vpo said:

Yes, The Troubadours seem to be offered mirrored or not as per preference, the others not so… but it’ll makes sense to go with what is commonly found, I’m sure. DaveRo, thanks for your very kind offer. I’m a bit tied up at the moment, but may pm you and take you up on that offer. Thanks a lot. I’m probably going to be selling my little Wheatstone Pinhole Aeola Treble English.. (will appear here in due course)  and Freebase accordion to part fund this so I suspect it’s going to take a little while unless exactly the right thing presents itself quickly. Thanks again to you both… if anyone hears of anyone selling secondhand, please point them my way:) Vince

Apart from the difference in fingering, mirrored layout also changes bellows behaviour, so there is that to consider. 

As to my to-be instrument: 6 1/4 or 6 1/3”, square, 3D printed, harmonikas.cz brass DIX reeds (accordion style), probably three options - 40, 46 and 50b in the same box (upgradeable later on). 40b version will have RH Troubadour layout and the same repeated for the LH (octave lower of course), 46 is „standard” and 50 will extend the standard down to Bb key (however, there will be mixed Eb/D# positions due to lever routing restrictions in such a small box, so it won’t be easy-peasy key). No slant, non-mirrored (however mirrored could probably be made to order, as it doesn’t require any layout redesign).

Prices yet to be established, but somewhere between Stagi and Troubadour probably.

As to my personal slant/no slant preference. I have a couple of years of slanted experience on Elise vs current no slant 66b and I vastly prefer no slant. Especially on RH, where it greatly increases pinky usability. Overall ease of navigation is also increased due to symmetrical vertical alignment of rows. 

By the way.. any comments on tone/sweetness of the various models?…. I like a warm tone for the jazz ballads that I play and to that end fitted leather baffles to my Wheatstone Treble/Baritone.. really softened the tone successfully to my ear.

Edited by vpo
Clarity

Actually I’ve just discovered a 2014 thread here which has answered a lot of my questions.. and also an iPad app from tradlessons.com based on the Beaumont which I can play with to explore the possibilities.

Wonderful.. Thanks David.
With respect to you and your instruments, Lucasz, I’m also rather interested in Ed Jays instruments.. in particular his Bandotina ( no shortage of notes there!)... but he doesn’t seem to be responding via his website email. Perhaps I’m ending up in his junk mail. Might anyone know how otherwise he can be contacted, I wonder.

5 hours ago, vpo said:

Wonderful.. Thanks David.
With respect to you and your instruments, Lucasz, I’m also rather interested in Ed Jays instruments.. in particular his Bandotina ( no shortage of notes there!)... but he doesn’t seem to be responding via his website email. Perhaps I’m ending up in his junk mail. Might anyone know how otherwise he can be contacted, I wonder.

He’s active on facebook concertina groups, you can try there. And I can very much recommend his Haydens - I helped him develop them :D He is currently working on extending the range of his Bandotin down to F2 (current iteration goes down only to A2, which is greatly limiting accompaniment capabilities).

Thanks to both. I have made contact with Ed now.. hoping to visit him in the coming week or so. F2 would be great.. My Baritone/Treble goes to F2.. I love that note.. makes the windows rattle!

Edited by vpo
Add
  • Like 1