post-Brexit shipping

I suppose, unfortunately, it is to be expected. Maybe also depends upon company or business's sending items: I was pleasently surprised how quick my own sent for item in February this year arrived, from a European company ( Germany based).. whole process including the shipping border issues done in several days ! ( Not for free reed instrument though) another musical item.

Edited by SIMON GABRIELOW
  • Thanks 1

thank you both - I was now able to verify that the item had arrived in Germany nearly a week ago - international tracking didn’t have this data but DHL (as it turned out) has - apparently the „preliminary import check“ is still being continued 😵‍💫

• Like 1

still getting worse - had been informed that the parcel was held by customs, phoned them, they confirmed, so I went there today, but they actually  don‘t have anything and can’t even tell re the whereabouts - and I have to file a declaration, four or five pages, don‘t have a clue about many of these questions as raised in the online schedule - I tried and still hope to conclude this deal at some point, but I have to say that buying from a UK seller is a no-no from now on, which is a real pity!

Sounds a very frustrating carry on!

You should have rights under consumer laws as to goods not being received. Have a good read up about the consumer rights as far as this goes, whilst you wait, and hopefully, it will get resolved. Keep copies of any correspondence you make, in case you have to keep up the pressure, and hopefully you will get your stuff (eventually).

I don’t blame the seller - don‘t believe he voted for the Brexit to be „got done“ 

(the declaration is mandatory in any event, for the purpose of duties and VAT)

Edited by Wolf Molkentin
adding second paragraph

6 hours ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

still getting worse - had been informed that the parcel was held by customs, phoned them, they confirmed, so I went there today, but they actually  don‘t have anything and can’t even tell re the whereabouts - and I have to file a declaration, four or five pages, don‘t have a clue about many of these questions as raised in the online schedule - I tried and still hope to conclude this deal at some point, but I have to say that buying from a UK seller is a no-no from now on, which is a real pity!

I also got burned. For a 1200€ worth instrument I paid 300€ customs fee. Pay it and take it or they will shred the parcel they said. Buying from UK for EU residents- red flag!

Edited by Gregor Markič

6 hours ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

Hi Wolf, (and Gregor)

One thing I have been doing over the last year or so is to find suppliers of British goods in Northern Ireland, (in my case it's mostly tools and machine parts in imperial sizes that I can't find in the EU). Since Northern Ireland has this funny status of still being inside the single market, they can simply deal with the VAT as any other EU country would, and so there are no customs checks or formalities. As a consequence, the shipping is much faster and smoother than sourcing the same products from a UK supplier.

I understand that Northern Ireland is enjoying something of a booming economy at the moment, I guess because of its continued ability to trade seamlessly with the EU.

Cheers,

Adrian

• Like 3

I was now able to fetch the parcel at the customs (by means of my insistence on the phone) - declaring took me several hours in total (with little to zero success in reducing the extra costs)…

Now to swap a pair or reeds and weight another… :)

Edited by Wolf Molkentin

On 5/31/2023 at 5:03 PM, adrian brown said:

Hi Wolf, (and Gregor)

One thing I have been doing over the last year or so is to find suppliers of British goods in Northern Ireland, (in my case it's mostly tools and machine parts in imperial sizes that I can't find in the EU). Since Northern Ireland has this funny status of still being inside the single market, they can simply deal with the VAT as any other EU country would, and so there are no customs checks or formalities. As a consequence, the shipping is much faster and smoother than sourcing the same products from a UK supplier.

I understand that Northern Ireland is enjoying something of a booming economy at the moment, I guess because of its continued ability to trade seamlessly with the EU.

It's interesting you should say that, in that eBay have made the purchase of a £7.00 teapot from Belfast (for delivery to Co. Cork) impossible for me by quoting an obscene "Postage: £13.10 Expedited Delivery to Ireland via eBay's Global Shipping Programme" + "Import charges: Est. £7.30 Amount confirmed at checkout" - so it would have cost me £27.40 altogether if I'd gone ahead with the transaction! 😲

On 6/4/2023 at 2:01 AM, Stephen Chambers said:

It's interesting you should say that, in that eBay have made the purchase of a £7.00 teapot from Belfast (for delivery to Co. Cork) impossible for me by quoting an obscene "Postage: £13.10 Expedited Delivery to Ireland via eBay's Global Shipping Programme" + "Import charges: Est. £7.30 Amount confirmed at checkout" - so it would have cost me £27.40 altogether if I'd gone ahead with the transaction! 😲

Hi Stephen,

Is the e-bay shipping cost decided by the individual seller, or is is set by e-bay on a per kilo and destination basis? Of course all companies and individuals are going to have their own tariffs and conditions, but the ones I've dealt with in NI seem to be very keen to exploit their unique status of being both within the UK and the single market.

I'm sick of the additional charges for import to EU - we recently received a gift for my son, declared value £20 - we paid €12.37 in import duties and VAT.  Looking to import commercial goods from UK into Italy should attract 0% UK VAT, but according to the Italian customs site, 22% Italian VAT (which is the norm) and 5% customs fees.  Not too onerous, but still on principle I'd like to avoid dealing with Brexit Britain.

Edited by SteveS

Anecdotally, it seems Brit import processes generally work ok these days, because that’s one of the things that had to be sorted post Brexit. But working the other way around, where the receiving country is in the EU, it often either doesn’t work at all or is slow and expensive. I assume this is because *all* imports to the UK have to be processed through customs, whereas EU countries have no interest in having working and efficient processes from non EU countries.

Edited by RogerT

2 hours ago, RogerT said:

I assume this is because *all* imports to the UK have to be processed through customs, whereas EU countries have no interest in having working and efficient processes from non EU countries.

That statement is just plain silly.