Squeezing On Holiday/vacation

My concertina always travels with us on holidays. We're going back to the UK again in September, and it is definitly coming with us... in fact our first stop is to visit Andrew Norman to pick up a restored Lachanel.

Whenever we make the four hour drive up the country to visit family I always take the concertina and play in the car. My darling hubby likes to listen to me play, so that is never a problem either :D

(Edited to correct poor spelling :P)

Edited by Morgana

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the responses have really suprised me. It's great how tolerant your "other halves" are. Maybe that's why I'm now single.........

Derek, I think you have it backwards. Judging by the responses, your assumption that "other halves" are "intolerant" as a rule is simply wrong. Not that they're normally "tolerant", either. "Enthusiastic" seems more appropriate. There are exceptions, of course, but that's what they are... exceptions, not the rule.

As for playing the concertina in the car, one of Anne's christmas presents a few years ago was a music stand that can be used in the passenger seat. It sits on a couple of plastic clamps placed on the open passenger dashboard cover (I wonder what the correct termnology is?). Otherwise it is an ordinary table top music stand.

Robin Madge

I am on holidays (vacation to the US folks) for two weeks in August. I have a distinct advantage due to the fact that:

Firstly, I will be cruising on my narrowboat and that fact that I live on it anyway means that I can take all my instruments with me.

Secondly, I have no wife or partner to appease.

So, out of pure curiosity, do all you poor unfortunates take your squeeze(s) with you, and if so, how do you convince your partner to let you play to your hearts content?

Derek B)

One of the reasons I bought my concertina was to be able to play when on our narrowboat. We don't live aboard, but I wanted a musical instrument that I could easily take with me on extended cruises. :) :)

Robin,

Please explain the open passenger dashboard cover. I am thinking your passenger side dashboard must be different than mine.

This music stand intrigues me. Of course, when I am driving alone I would still have no use for it. But it intrigues me.

Thanks,

Helen

... a music stand that can be used in the passenger seat. It sits on a couple of plastic clamps placed on the open passenger dashboard cover (I wonder what the correct termnology is?). Otherwise it is an ordinary table top music stand.

Robin Madge

I've got one of those table top music stands - very handy! I bought it in Germany, along with a beer glass holder that clips to your music stand ;) . Even more handy B) !

As to "open dash board cover" do you mean the door [or flap] of the glove compartment?

Samantha

I am on holidays (vacation to the US folks) for two weeks in August. I have a distinct advantage due to the fact that:

Firstly, I will be cruising on my narrowboat and that fact that I live on it anyway means that I can take all my instruments with me.

Secondly, I have no wife or partner to appease.

So, out of pure curiosity, do all you poor unfortunates take your squeeze(s) with you, and if so, how do you convince your partner to let you play to your hearts content?

Derek B)

I take a harmonica as I play anglos and it keeps me in trim, I can work on those songs that I have been 'bluffing' in sessions up to now and it gets through customs a lot easier than a solid black box.

I'm on holiday now, travelling all over England, and although I miss the box, I'm very glad I didn't bring it- my own suitcase is so heavy as it is. I did bring my straps, and my good friend in Yorkshire, who is a leatherworker, has made me a replacement pair that are much sturdier, so I look forward to getting home and getting them on the Jeffries! But for now, I brought my recorder which I haven't used at all, and my voice, which I have! :lol:

I'm on holiday now, travelling all over England, and although I miss the box, I'm very glad I didn't bring it- my own suitcase is so heavy as it is. I did bring my straps, and my good friend in Yorkshire, who is a leatherworker, has made me a replacement pair that are much sturdier, so I look forward to getting home and getting them on the Jeffries! But for now, I brought my recorder which I haven't used at all, and my voice, which I have! :lol:

No doubt some of your c-net freinds will let you have a "squeezing fix" if you ask them!

I'd be interested in who makes the straps, I have what I think is a converted duet (jeffries) and with 45 keys it is heavy to play standing up.

Derek

The in-car music stand.

It is a table-top music stand placed against the passenger dashboard and supported by the drop down flap. Unfortunately the flap doesn't project far enough for this to be stable when the car accelerates so I have increaced the angle by placing a couple of plastic clamps on the edge of the flap, sticking out towards the passenger, and supporting the music stand on these.

The clamps I have are moulded plastic, available in a range of sizes, and have a hollow back to the handle that the stand legs can sit in.

Robin Madge

Anne and I have just worked out that between us we'll be taking 5 concertinas, 3 melodeons (including the Anglodeon) and a fiddle with us to Sidmouth. Are we overdoing it, do you think?

Chris

For 7 days and 2 players, that makes 1.29 instruments per day, or 0.65 per person per day. So it all depends on the balance between the two players. One of you could be working very hard while the other has an easy time! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

- John Wild

Edited to add: After 7 days - maybe both of you will be a bit off-balance!! :D :P

Edited again to add: I am really sorry I cannot be there this year - have a good time.

Edited by John Wild

Helen, this is turning into a "show my daughter the sights" vacation more than a music vacation. Haven't met nary a CNetter yet, although I hope to meet Alan Day soon. It seems that everybody's going to Sidmouth, which is not on our itinerary due to lack of time!

bigsqueezergeezer, my friend has pretty much retired from leatherwork, but after I try out the straps, if I like them, I'll ask him if he'd be interested in taking orders. They look beautiful, but it'll be another 12 days before I'm home with the Jeffries...

Today we're off to the Tower of London!