Beginner asking help with air button and bellows

Greetings!  I'm a beginner with the concertina and I'm having two major problems.  I have a new McNeela Swan Anglo. 

The first is that my thumb cannot reach the air button.  I even took the strap out of the bracket on the side of the palm rest to move my hand closer to the button, but to no avail.  My thumb tilts out and away from the button (genetics, cannot help that).  Does anyone have a suggestion as to something I can do to augment the reach of my thumb?  A lever of some kind under my thumb that pushes the air button or something that goes on top of the air button to make it larger?  I greatly appreciate any suggestions.

My second issue is with the bellows.  They are leather and pulling the bellows is a hand/arm exercise that takes away from learning the notes.  It's a struggle.  (Yes, I know that the air button or another button must be pushed to open the bellows without causing damage to the concertina.)  Will they loosen up with time and practice?  Is there anything I can do to hasten the process?

Right now, fighting with the bellows and trying to reach the air button is making my practicing difficult and certainly short-lived.  I truly appreciate any suggestions for either issue.

Thank you very much!

New bellows should become easier to use over time .. It is a sort of hide or skin and needs using to become more supple ( like your own skin).

As for your air valve reach; maybe try a glove ( thumb part of) .. perhaps that will help?  I suppose the instruments are made for average hand sizes, and so sometimes could be not always a perfect fit.

My concertina is Anglo, and I hold it very loosely in my hands; in fact I am known for this habit.. (.. and reach air valve ok.)

But my way is not standard; so you may have to also find your own solution.

• Like 1

Thanks!  I already have to wear fingerless gloves to protect my skin from the stiff straps.  I think I need something like a piece of plastic that spans the distance between my thumb and the air button.  I was hoping someone had an idea.  I'm a history/law teacher, so engineering is not my forte.

It's nice to know the bellows will loosen up with use.  

Thanks again for answering!

This same issue was discussed about a month ago under the topic "the anglo and arthritis" in the General Concertina Discussion forum (and at least once before that).  There were some ideas for making a lever to extend the reach of your thumb.

Edited by Bill N
  • Like 1

Yes, thank you, I did see the arthritis and anglo thread.  I also searched for other ideas or more specific descriptions for how to address the lever issue.  I did not find anything helpful -- hence my query here.

The air button is the hardest button to use on the Anglo at first.  Then suddenly, it stops being a problem.  The change may happen after a few weeks or months.

Have your straps very slightly loose.  Put your 4 fingers through the strap, and your thumb on the outside of the strap.  The strap should pass across the back of your hand.

Pulling your thumb in sideways towards your hand will then take some of the slack out of the strap.  You can also brace and arch your hand to take up some of the slack.  Reverse these moves to allow slack when your fingers need to reach the less accessible buttons.

The air button should be tapped with the outside of your thumb.  You should very seldom need to hold it down for long: just a quick tap timed to fit a suitable part of the musical phrase.

The longer you've been playing, the easier and more intuitive this becomes.  Also, the longer you've been playing, the less often you will need the air button.  Beginners tend to play slowly, and to hold the buttons down for longer than necessary.  Therefore, they need more air, and the bellows reach their fully open or fully closed position sooner/more often.

An experienced player tends to play a little faster (although speed is not an objective in itself) and will usually clip most of the notes, leaving more "daylight" between the notes.  Also, they will know more routes around the keyboard,  The combined effect is to use less air, and therefore the air button is needed less often.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Lynn S. said:

Yes, thank you, I did see the arthritis and anglo thread.  I also searched for other ideas or more specific descriptions for how to address the lever issue.  I did not find anything helpful -- hence my query here.

Sorry, I was thinking of the wrong thread.  Try searching for "Reversible Air Lever idea" in the Instrument Construction and Repair forum.  I'd link to it, but haven't figured out how🙂

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mikefule said:

The air button is the hardest button to use on the Anglo at first.  Then suddenly, it stops being a problem.  The change may happen after a few weeks or months.

Have your straps very slightly loose.  Put your 4 fingers through the strap, and your thumb on the outside of the strap.  The strap should pass across the back of your hand.

Pulling your thumb in sideways towards your hand will then take some of the slack out of the strap.  You can also brace and arch your hand to take up some of the slack.  Reverse these moves to allow slack when your fingers need to reach the less accessible buttons.

The air button should be tapped with the outside of your thumb.  You should very seldom need to hold it down for long: just a quick tap timed to fit a suitable part of the musical phrase.

The longer you've been playing, the easier and more intuitive this becomes.  Also, the longer you've been playing, the less often you will need the air button.  Beginners tend to play slowly, and to hold the buttons down for longer than necessary.  Therefore, they need more air, and the bellows reach their fully open or fully closed position sooner/more often.

An experienced player tends to play a little faster (although speed is not an objective in itself) and will usually clip most of the notes, leaving more "daylight" between the notes.  Also, they will know more routes around the keyboard,  The combined effect is to use less air, and therefore the air button is needed less often.

Thanks for taking the time to write this; I appreciate the playing advice it contains.  My problems is purely physical.  I literally cannot reach the air button.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bill N said:

Sorry, I was thinking of the wrong thread.  Try searching for "Reversible Air Lever idea" in the Instrument Construction and Repair forum.  I'd link to it, but haven't figured out how🙂

Brilliant!!  Thank you!!  I found the post and it has a really nifty idea for a lever that attaches with a loop to the strap.  I think I can fabricate something like that.  

Just an idea, maybe you should have an extra tall button on the air valve? One that is longer and so easier to reach .Perhaps, as there is available generally, a plastic type modelling material (which is set in oven, ).. it may be feasible to make a sort of cap for button top ( carefully glued on top?

• Like 1

One thing you can do with the bellows is to open it up and then rotate your hands or rock them to exercise the bellows folds. This will move them more than playing. Do this while listening to the music you like.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SIMON GABRIELOW said:

Just an idea, maybe you should have an extra tall button on the air valve? One that is longer and so easier to reach .Perhaps, as there is available generally, a plastic type modelling material (which is set in oven, ).. it may be feasible to make a sort of cap for button top ( carefully glued on top?

Thanks for the idea!  Taller would not work because my thumb just cannot get there.  I appreciate the suggetion of the plastic modeling material; I'll keep that in mind.  First, I'm going to try to make a lever as suggested by Bill N.

5 hours ago, fred v said:

One thing you can do with the bellows is to open it up and then rotate your hands or rock them to exercise the bellows folds. This will move them more than playing. Do this while listening to the music you like.

Oh, cool idea!!  Thanks!!  I will try that.

On 5/22/2023 at 8:52 AM, Bill N said:

And now I realize you were the person with the brilliant idea for the lever!  I have the materials and will attempt to replicate your lever.  Thanks so much!