Tutor for the Wicki/Hayden Book 2 By William Waker

This may be a naive question, but duet tutors are rare enough that I have to ask: How dependent would this tutor be on the specific layout of the Wicki/Hayden Duet?  Are duet concertina performance issues similar enough from one duet layout to another that this tutor would be relevant for a Maccann?

2 hours ago, mandojoe said:

This may be a naive question, but duet tutors are rare enough that I have to ask: How dependent would this tutor be on the specific layout of the Wicki/Hayden Duet?  Are duet concertina performance issues similar enough from one duet layout to another that this tutor would be relevant for a Maccann?

I don’t know what you’ll find in Wim’s book, but Iris Bishop (Maccann player in the UK) is working on an all-duet-systems book. She first contacted me two years ago about providing some input for the Hayden side of things, and I haven’t heard from her in a year or so with updates.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, David Barnert said:

I don’t know what you’ll find in Wim’s book, but Iris Bishop (Maccann player in the UK) is working on an all-duet-systems book. She first contacted me two years ago about providing some input for the Hayden side of things, and I haven’t heard from her in a year or so with updates.

There's also Brian Hayden's all-systems duet workshop tutor at http://www.concertina.com/hayden-duet/Hayden-All-Systems-Duet-Workshop-Tutor.pdf .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mandojoe said:

Are duet concertina performance issues similar enough from one duet layout to another that this tutor would be relevant for a Maccann?

As a Jeffries duet player I would say no.  Beyond their chromatic and split handed nature ( if you chose to play that way ) the note arrangements ( and thus the fingerings ) are very different.  The concept of a duet is easy to ken but the specific systems...not so much.

• Thanks 1

First of all, if you’re searching for it, it wouldn’t hurt to spell his name correctly. It’s Wakker, with two K’s, and he usually goes by Wim, rather than William, although he’ll answer to either.

His company, Concertina Connection, Inc., in Valleyford, Washington, is the source of the book.

I would get in touch with them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2023 at 9:21 PM, David Barnert said:

...and he usually goes by Wim, rather than William, although he’ll answer to either.

Judging by my email correspondence with the Concertina Connection while getting moving with the Hayden, he's using William nowadays, at least in a professional context.