I Want To Play Like That

I related this story in another posting.

I was contacted by a perspective student that sent me a video of Simon Thoumire and said 'I want to play like that.' 

My answer to him was he'd have to practice. His reply was basically, what's my second choice.

Over the years I have advised and taught concertina players as to what they need to do in order to play better or differently or more proficiently. For some, a different approach than mine to learning is probably better suited to them. Whatever advice or approach to learning to play your concertina, a friend of mine so succinctly puts it,   

"Somewhere you have to fit together:
I want to do this
With
What I have to do to do this
And mix it with
I guess I have to change my attitude…if I Really want to do this."

Edited by Randy Stein

Randy you had me laughing out loud at "What's my second choice?" I am sure most of us can admit to feeling this sentiment periodically!

On the bright side, putting the work in does seem to garner results, and that is satisfying and heartening for the next time we wish longingly for a easier "second choice".

Good also to encourage students to play as THEY wish to do.  And not be put off by other techniques too much, and they will find their own voice in time; sometimes when beginning it can be a bit daunting to jump straight into seeing experienced musicians whipping up a frenzy of speed and skill.  Perseverance will win over in time - and with encouragement of good tutors, and also good will from people on forums like ours too, they will be playing most of those bits of music themselves, that they once thought impossible to achieve. 

I very occasionally give lessons.  A while ago, I had someone approach me to learn "from scratch".  He was a singer, but had never played an instrument.

I always invite any prospective student to visit me, and we spend an hour (no charge) chatting and seeing whether what I can offer is what they are looking for.  I got on well with this chap.

When he said, with alarm in his voice, "I won't have to do scales will I?" I should have turned him away there and then.

However, I thought I could get him to include scales by introducing tunes to him that included phrases up and down the scale.

With hindsight, it was predictable that he never once practised between lessons - he always had a good excuse, of course - and he never learned a single tune.  To some extent, I regret continuing to give him lessons, but I did my best.

Before I discovered Anglo, I played at various instruments but never had any sort of structured practice regime.  When I bought my first Anglo, I made a commitment to set off as I meant to carry on, took lessons and practised.  It is the only way to make progress.

2 hours ago, Alan Day said:

I always wanted to play like John Kirkpatrick and I thought that practice was the answer ,but I shall never get up to his ability ,but I shall keep trying.

Al

I've always found it more enjoyable ( and easier! ) to emulate than imitate....😊

• Like 2

On 5/11/2023 at 2:44 PM, Cathasach said:

the anglo has been the only instrument that I've had the motivation to practice enough to learn. It's just fun.

It's a strangely fascinating instrument. Only yesterday I discovered a new and better fingering for a tune I learned several years ago.  What other instrument gives you that?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mikefule said:

It's a strangely fascinating instrument. Only yesterday I discovered a new and better fingering for a tune I learned several years ago.  What other instrument gives you that?

The Jeffries duet is like that.  I find myself changing fingerings a lot, often without thinking, to suit my mood or the particular flavor of a tune.  The shared notes in the overlap zone offer many possibilities.  Any note in the zone can be played 8 different ways using only the first two fingers on either hand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wunks said:

The Jeffries duet is like that.  I find myself changing fingerings a lot, often without thinking, to suit my mood or the particular flavor of a tune.  The shared notes in the overlap zone offer many possibilities.  Any note in the zone can be played 8 different ways using only the first two fingers on either hand.

It's kind of a great platform for learning music theory in this way too. I was in choir for years and have been singing since before I could remember, or walk, and after a 15 year break I'm really excited about music again. I'm at the point where I get why people put reeds on different buttons. I'm also at the point of "a little knowledge is dangerous", at least for myt instruments.

As to the learning/practicing aspect, I have a minimalist approach to music theory.  I play by ear and at 75 my noggin is so full of various musics that I intuitively recognize different scales and patterns.  Just give me a key and a do re mi and I'm on my way...😄

• 2 weeks later...

This is funny! The answer is always practice however it isn't easy. I started when I was 12 and I'm now 52 so a few years in between. The most important thing in my mind is just to enjoy playing and practice when you can. Never be scared to try anything - no one is going to die because you played a wrong note! Playing music is about enrichment of the soul, not about virtuosity so just do it.

• Like 4