I'd like to hear from anyone who's played or owns the Busker model EC from Concertina Connection

I'm seriously considering buying a Busker to be my travel/take anywhere instrument because my 64 button Wheatstone TT (with amboyna ends!) is so dear to me and also irreplaceable. It is only played at home & church.

I've found I actually like the sound of CC's hybrid instruments. I've  played (and have) the 30 button EC and an Elise.

I guess I just need some positive re-enforcement to take the final plunge!

I'd like to hear from anyone who's played or owns the Busker model EC from Concertina Connection.

I have not had any experience with the busker.

but, I think you’d be nuts to get a 36 key instrument.

I would go for a 48 key.

For my money, I’d go with a Lachenal or a Wheatstone. Or even a different hybrid. But, thinking in terms of functionality and resale. I would only look at 48s.

As a potential buyer.. I see a 36b in the same way I’d see a 9 fret or 5 string guitar. 

Edited by seanc

I have a 36 button Wheatstone EC and love it. I play Irish trad so I never need anything above the high C note. That not is a stretch for fiddle players too.

I bought a busker 2 years ago as an upgrade from a stagi i had played for 6 months. Ive really enjoyed the BUSKER. While it is relatively plain in appearance, its operation and sound compares favourably to higher priced models. The sound is pretty good and heard well in a larger setting

My wife (Cello) and I play public duets using her prerecorded background tracks. We play hymns, pop, celtic, C&W, military, and other genres. Most of this music doesnt need more than 36 buttons. My wife's cello covers the lower notes in our duets. The higher notes would probably be too piercing for our audiences

I bought the standard model. The bellows are pretty good. In hindsight, I might have bought the upgraded bellows but am still happy with the leather ones (and delrin buttons) that come standard

I highly recommend it, I bought a new BUSKER since there are few repair spots in my area of canada. Im 70 and expect this instrument to outlast me without much repair

Ive played Great Hightland Bagpipes for 25+ years. They only have 9 notes so 36 notes seemed pretty good to me when I bought the busker

🙂

Brian

Meaford, Ontario, Canada

Edited by Brian W
typo

Another advantage with the 36 button is weight. That is difficult to notice unless you take one of each and sit down and play them one after the other. Extra weight makes it more difficult to reverse the bellows quickly. It's a small thing but it adds up after 2 or more hours of playing.

I believe Busker comes with the same reed ad Minstrel. (I own an AC Minstrel with Wakker bellows)

The sound of Minstrel is far better than that of original Rochelle or Rochelle-2, which use the same type of reed as Jack, Jackie and Elise. So, I think sound of Busker would be good enough to go anywhere with you. Busker should not be bulky like Elise which makes it easier for you to carry around. 

I usually recommend Wakker Bellows upgrade which is great, but you may not wish to pay extra for that since you have your main instrument and Busker would only be your travel companion. If you do not care paying  extra, you might as well consider EC Rose that comes with Wakker bellows by default and equipped with 45 buttons.

Totani