Clicking sound when playing

I'm looking to buy my first concertina (hurrah!), and so have been reading up, and also listening to/watching a variety of youtube videos.  I've noticed that with some concertinas I can hear a clicking sound while it's being played, but not on others.  Is that normal, or maybe a sign of a not so great instrument?  Thanks for any guidance!

Tricky to say without at the least links to the videos.Could be a fantastic instrument which has pads that have gone a bit hard could be a not so good instrument with no bushings in and around the buttons?

I have noticed the sound to ( when I have seen videos) but I would not worry about the clicking, as I do not think it really matters overall; in. a way it is no more than playing mechanism of a real physical instrument, being heard, like the similar effect to hearing a guitar plectrum clicking over string, or the key or pedal of a piano thumping as it is used.. just all the effects of using real acoustic instrument in the hands of a performer.🌝

• Like 1

Clicking can come from any part of the mechanism that is poor quality, worn, or badly adjusted..  

• On a metal ended instrument it can be the side of the button contacting the edge of the hole in the metal end plate, which usually only happens on an old instrument when the end bushings are worn.
  • Lachenal action can sometimes click if the levers are worn or the spring pressure is too low
  • Riveted action can click if there is wear at the rivets.
  • Badly adjusted levers may hit the underside of the end frets if the button travel is too great.
  • etc, etc

The usual cause is that the felt dampers around the guide pegs at the base of the keys can compress or disintegrate and the guide peg taps on the bottom of the guide hole in the action plate. Hard pads are percussive but the sound is much duller. If pads that have too thicker felt is fitted, and then action height is adjusted to compensate, then the lever arm pad end grommet can strike the underside of the fretting. I have never had  a clicking off action arms, riveted or other wise, nor from worn keys and bushes, the amount of play is not enough to generate an impact. 

Delrin (nylon) will make little difference (to tapping), other than to spoil the 'originality' of a traditional instrument. Bone keys are also traditional, and give the same characteristics.

On many older instruments, I feel like the clicking of the mechanism is almost a integral part of the sound.  I was recently transcribing a recording played on a really wonderful sounding old Jeffries C/G, and the clicks of the mechanism added an additional lovely rhythmic dimension to the cuts and rolls, sounded almost like they were double-cut and didn't distract from the music at all.

Edited by eskin
  • Like 2

To me.it’s like fret noise. The squeak you hear on a guitar. It is just character.

And part of the package.

I would not get hung up on it. But, if it really bothers you. there are things you can do, as Theo has mentioned.

I think that click, actually ADDS, to the sound and feel and in certain music can add a percussive component.

• Like 1