WTB: 30k+ C/G Anglo Concertina ~$1-2k

chantersandbellows

Hi!  This is a long shot for sure, but would anyone happen to be looking to part with a C/G anglo concertina with concertina reeds and 26 or more keys for 1-2k, maybe a little bit more with shipping?  I'd like to stay within the range, but I'm willing to flex a bit for the right instrument, just not too much since being in school limits my funds.

I think I've finally reached a point where I think I may need a step up from my accordion-reeded hybrid to progress any further; the reeds, action, spacing, and a few things are all limiting in a way no other "real" concertina I've borrowed has been.  I'd be happy to trade/sell that instrument as well (it's a fine instrument, but not for my playing and hands), but it's also not at all essential to me looking for a better concertina.

Any help or direction too is greatly appreciated!  I'm a bit new to the concertina community and have tried to do some research, but I know there's many more people in-tune and knowledgeable than myself on all of it, and I'm sure there's information or other details I've completely missed in looking and posting here too.

Edited by chantersandbellows
Forgot to add the key I'm looking for

Unless you run into someone who is feeling altruistic, or doesn't know the value of what they have, your chances of finding a playable 30 button C/G with concertina reeds in that price range are slim to none.  I would suggest that you'll need at least another $1000 for a concertina reeded instrument that would be as good or better than a quality accordion reeded box. (maybe a metal ended Lachenal or a used Kensington?)

I'd be interested to know what sort of hybrid you are playing now, that you find it limiting.  I have a top quality concertina reeded Carroll, and an accordion reeded Morse.  I much prefer the sound and dynamic range of the Carroll, but there is not much difference in playability.  

Have you ever tried the better hybrids like Morse, Edgley, Norman?  Used ones come up for sale here at the top of your price range, and I'd be surprised if any of them would hold back your progress.

19 hours ago, Bill N said:

Unless you run into someone who is feeling altruistic, or doesn't know the value of what they have, your chances of finding a playable 30 button C/G with concertina reeds in that price range are slim to none.  I would suggest that you'll need at least another $1000 for a concertina reeded instrument that would be as good or better than a quality accordion reeded box. (maybe a metal ended Lachenal or a used Kensington?)

I'd be interested to know what sort of hybrid you are playing now, that you find it limiting.  I have a top quality concertina reeded Carroll, and an accordion reeded Morse.  I much prefer the sound and dynamic range of the Carroll, but there is not much difference in playability.  

Have you ever tried the better hybrids like Morse, Edgley, Norman?  Used ones come up for sale here at the top of your price range, and I'd be surprised if any of them would hold back your progress.

Thank you for your reply Bill!  I have been noticing the prices were often generally a bit higher than my limit, but some crossed over, so I figured it would be worth it to check here.

I'm currently on a McNeela Swan primarily (and an older Frontalini 20 key that I learned to do some bellows and reed work with).  I've had the Swan for 3-4 years and can play a few hundred tunes on it at speed, but I've never been able to reach the air release in any hand/strap position without changing my hand and completely stopping playing to close the bellows more.  I definitely thought I was going crazy playing it until a few concertina friends played it and told me the spacing and air button were pretty difficult for them as well.  In large part, it's the hand-rests that get in the way for it for my hands, and I'm a bit hesitant to alter them when they'd certainly be fine for most players, and just about every other concertina I've played has been absolutely fine in my hands and I get less pain and strain and inflammation playing them.

There's some great concertina players who have some videos playing the Swan and I wouldn't have minded otherwise normally little inconveniences as much in the past, but I've got some health issues that make finding the right instrument and feel in my hands has been really important for me lately.

I've tried an Edgley with some customizations and modifications my uncle had made to accomodate his own health needs and it was great, and another he had as well that was comprable with wide buttons.  I certainly prefer concertina-reed feel and sound over the hybrids from what I've seen, but I agree, the majority of hybrids wouldn't hinder me much at all in the grand scheme.  I just know the Swan isn't working for me.

13 hours ago, mike_s said:

So, what is it you may want to sell?

Thanks

Hi Mike!  I mentioned it a bit above, but I'd be selling a McNeela Swan.  It's perfectly fine for most, and there's no functionality issues, it's just not in that right functionality spectrum for my needs at the moment.  If I find another instrument, I'll likely post it on the boards here to sell.

If your main issue is reaching the air button, there were a number of easy, cheap solutions discussed in a previous thread.  I'm not clever enough to link to the thread, but if you search for the topic "Reversible Air Lever idea" in the construction and maintenance forum you should find it.  

You might get lucky and find a 26 button, but I wouldn't buy one sight-unseen.  Most of the 26 button instruments I've seen for sale are Joneses.  I have one myself- it's a nice box for song accompaniment but not really loud or fast enough for session playing.  And the partial 3rd row on mine is off-set from the usual placement, which irritates me when I play it.  A 26 button Jeffries would be nice, but wouldn't solve your budget problem.

I'd actually tried your idea and a few others from that thread there a few years ago before building up to making an account here (my most-successful but unsightly version was a combination of Blu Tack and Sugru), but I didn't have much luck with just adding to that button making it easier as the hand rails their general ergonomics are unkind.  The air release is the most frustrating for me for sure, but it goes beyond that to a point that I know of two players in my area with Swans or Wrens who had the handrail modified to make playing more accessible.  Thank you for reminding me of that thread though!  I've bookmarked in my larger Concertina maintenance folder.

If it were a nicely reversible maintenance issue for myself, I'd happily stick with the Swan and its quirks, but I don't think it is in this case, unfortunately.  I appreciate the help though, Bill!

Fingers crossed I'll find the right 26 or hybrid 30-ish!  If I could find any Jeffries for a price my range, I'd be over the moon hahaha!  Maybe if I'm good, the spirit of Elizabeth Crotty will leave one under my pillow one night?

20 minutes ago, wunks said:

And for those paying attention, a 30 button Wheatstone sold here yesterday and a 32 button AC Norman is on the block today on a parallel thread.

I had been tempted to go for the former…, sounded great from the video, and at a super price…

• Like 1

Wow!  Thank you for the links Wolf, and thank you for the extra encouragement and info everyone!  It's good to know that there is some instrument accessibilty there!  I appreciate everyone's help here a ton, and I've sent out some emails to check on instruments 😊

Hopefully I'll have a new free-reed friend soon!

• Like 1