Novelty Stops

Howie,

What you describe as a "baby cry" is what George Jones described as a "chanticleer" (rooster). It is a simple beating reed with a steel tongue. In old concertinas the body of it is made of casting metal and there are two of them, one for each direction of bellows movement, but the plastic "squeaker" in children's/pets' squeaky toys works basically the same, though not as well.

I don't know of a modern source for the "bird whistle", but it is merely a 3/4" diameter, 1/4" deep tin box with a small hole drilled through the top & bottom.

Does anyone know where I can find a "novelty stop" eg. baby cry or bird whistle?

What you describe as a "baby cry" is what George Jones described as a "chanticleer" (rooster). It is a simple beating reed with a steel tongue.

Like this: post-13-1121371355_thumb.jpg post-13-1121371811_thumb.jpg

I don't know of a modern source for the "bird whistle", but it is merely a 3/4" diameter, 1/4" deep tin box with a small hole drilled through the top & bottom.

Like this: post-13-1121371384_thumb.jpg post-13-1121371415_thumb.jpg

Note that the whistle is actually mounted on top of the action board. From the underside, it's hardly distinguishable from the hole for the screw that holds the hand bar.

And while the "chanticleer" is mounted in the reed pan, it's not mounted like the reeds are.

How you mount what you get is up to your own imagination, but this shows that it's not only the sounds which aren't like the other buttons. :)

Thanks Guys,

As I explained to Mark in a separate e-mail, I will soon be getting one of Bob Tedrow's anglo minis with two air buttons. My thought is that I might try to put a whistle or other novelty stop in place of the left hand air vent. I know that a whistle isn't the most practical solution but if nothing else it will be helpful for hailing taxis. howie