Need some help comparing hybrid concertinas

Hello! I’m looking at getting a hybrid concertina because of the playability/price point, and will probably have to buy new since there aren’t a lot of used ones under $2000 on the market (feel free to prove me wrong).

The models I’m considering now are the McNeela Phoenix, Sherwood Marion/Flynn, and concertina connection Minstrel. I don’t have much frame of reference, so any anecdotes/comparisons would be greatly helpful!! 

I am not really the one to give advice; as I still play my ( Hohner branded) Italian produced 30 key Anglo, which I have now owned for over 24 years. So maybe as the only one I have.. I am bound to say I am happy with it.

There can be some teething problems ( Mine was new when bought in 1999).. buttons can stick and need freeing up by using regularly, but I am not complaining about the strong tone of sound I get from it. With its steel reeds providing a mellow tone, and real leather bellows.

I believe an Italian company is now producing them ( since factory closed )..

There's many other kinds available, and no doubt others will give their own opinions. I play my (Hohner).concertina all the time; and you can hear it in my own YouTube channel if you want hear how they can sound .  Go to; Simon Gabrielow ( my channel) to hear how ( my Hohner Anglo concertina) looks and sounds. You may be surprised at the strength of sound it can produce.

When I bought mine (1999) it was then nearly £300 and I had to wait for it to be sent to warehouse).

Best of luck with your choice in meantime.

Edited by SIMON GABRIELOW

Used Morse and Edgley instruments come up for sale here in that price range pretty frequently . ( I just sold a nice Edgley for a friend for $1900).  Either would be a much nicer box than the 3 that you are looking at IMHO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bill N said:

Used Morse and Edgley instruments come up for sale here in that price range pretty frequently . ( I just sold a nice Edgley for a friend for $1900).  Either would be a much nicer box than the 3 that you are looking at IMHO.

Oh really, that’s awesome, I didn’t think they came up much! For around that price I’d be willing to wait it out

Edited by Thresher-shark
Typo

I own a used Minstrel and it's a good fit for women's hands as the distance from the hand straps bit to the buttons isn't a big stretch. Some other models eg Norman do have a wider distance there. If you have long fingers, this is something to think about. The Minstrel is comfortable to play, responsive enough for an advanced beginner/intermediate player but there are other models that are more responsive.  I recently held a Phoenix and it had a smoother, sleeker button profile and the responsiveness of the buttons seemed to be a tiny bit faster. The sizing of the gap between hand straps and buttons was similar to the Minstrel, so maybe not for someone with long fingers. While I only held the Phoenix for 5 mins, it seems to be a nice instrument with easy bellows.

• Like 1

Since you cannot predict the condition of the second-hand Morse and Edgley, it may cost you to have it fine-tuned. It may be a good idea to go for a brand-new hybrids. 

I bought a Minstrel with Wakker bellows upgrade five years ago direcly from Concertina Connection and I am still happy about my first concertina. 

Minstrel ($1600) + Wakker bellow upgrade ($395) comes up to $1995 as of today.

Brand new AP James would fit in your price range, too. (GBP1200)

I have never heard of negative impession about APJ either. 

Totani

Just to comment on two brands mentioned:

I really enjoyed my AC Norman C/G. It was a loud, responsive instrument and had a very nice timbre not wholly unlike traditional concertina reeds. 

Currently I play a Morse C/G and love it. A little bit more responsive, lightweight which has a surprisingly positive impact on my ornamentation and is still fairly loud but not imbalanced in volume. 

I have larger hands and find the Minstrel to be almost unplayable due to the cramped spacing between the button rows and the short handrest. Many older Wheatstones have this same issue.

Unfortunately, there are no button spacing standards.  "Handrest to apex" should be one of the critical dimensions!

With larger hands, a 1" high handrest can help a lot, most are 7/8".

Trying an instrument in person is really critical, and most sellers will let you try it out and allow for a return if you pay the postage both ways.

Gary

7 hours ago, gtotani said:

Since you cannot predict the condition of the second-hand Morse and Edgley, it may cost you to have it fine-tuned. It may be a good idea to go for a brand-new hybrids

I have owned both Morse and Edgley concertinas, they were both very well made and I think it would take many, many years of playing before either of them required any work on them that you could not do yourself. 

I think that I would give the edge to to Edgley (pun intended) as the reeds are held in by screws instead of accordion wax and Frank Edgley provides a guide  on how to fix minor problems on his concertinas.  That, plus he is still in business whereas the Button Box, the maker of the Morse concertinas, recently closed down.

Edited by Don Taylor
  • Like 1