Lightwood - a new tune for 20 button C/G anglo

This is a warm and wistful waltz for 20 button anglo.

It came about after a walk into the sun through trees on farmland just west of Worcester. I'm not quite sure why it came out like this, but it all got just a teeny bit Sound of Music somehow! I shall probably whirl around in a meadow come the late spring!

The first section of this tune uses the melody in the left hand, accompanied in the right. The middle section swaps roles. It feels good to play and just dances along.

Edited by Kathryn Wheeler
  • Like 8

The tune moves nicely, I think, partly because it doesn't stop to resolve (harmonically), but keeps going with those diminished and rich chords. I like it. Reminded me of some nice atmospheric French accordion café music, too.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CrP said:Reminded me of some nice atmospheric French accordion café music, too.

Yes, now you mention it I can really hear the French influences. Isn’t it funny that you don’t always notice things like this at the time.  It’s possible there’s a classical waltz influence behind that somewhere. But basically it feels good under the fingers!

That countryside reminds me of where I escape to every summer, when I can, as countryside around York is very agricultural based, fields, edged by trees, quite flat actually, until you reach a part in the distance ( huge ridge of inland cliff, and above is another wave of scenery towards the Moors of Yorkshire; I much prefer that to City centres with their noise and bustle.

39 minutes ago, SIMON GABRIELOW said:

That countryside reminds me of where I escape to every summer, when I can, as countryside around York is very agricultural based, fields, edged by trees, quite flat actually, until you reach a part in the distance ( huge ridge of inland cliff, and above is another wave of scenery towards the Moors of Yorkshire; I much prefer that to City centres with their noise and bustle.

I do like to look at ridges across a foreground of fields 

Its a very different scenery to the  Dales side; as the eastern section called the Wolds, has more little surprises like villages, and folds in hills, that you come upon quite unexpectedly, because they are hid between hills, etc..

And then ancient stone abbey's, (Byland, and Rievaulx abbey.. several miles apart, separated by that ridge of hill ..

You can eventually look right down some 900 ft. At Sutton bank, and view the vast vale of York and beyond to th very distant hills far away!