22b Lachenal for irish music

Hello!

First post here. Been playing whistles for 20 years and uilleann pipes on and off through that period.

Lately itching to learn a new different instrument and got the concertina bug 🙂

Looking for my first concertina, considering a 22b Lachenal. I've read quite a bit and understand that starting out on a 20b is totally fine and even advised if it's a good concertina vs a new mediocre cheaper 30b. Was wondering about those extra 2 buttons on the 22b. it seems ill be getting access to C# which means ill be able to play tunes in D. sounds golden to me! am I missing something? are the extra accidentals on a 30b as important as that C# for Irish tunes?

ok! hope this makes sense, sorry if this is too much of a noob question...

Thanks in advance.

edit: more specifically Lachenal 22b Anglo C/G

Edited by redswipt

Personally, I think it is far more versatile than the 20 button, although there are still tunes you can't play (because it lacks low A and low C#, for example). The lack of a reverse G/A button may be inconvenient.

I own a C/G(Lachenal) and a Bflat/F(Duckling), both lightweight.

ssR0013968.jpg.701392395dfc37a483b0c164b33b6cc0.jpg

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Takayuki YAGI said:

Personally, I think it is far more versatile than the 20 button, although there are still tunes you can't play (because it lacks low A and low C#, for example). The lack of a reverse G/A button may be inconvenient.

I own a C/G(Lachenal) and a Bflat/F(Duckling), both lightweight.

ssR0013968.jpg.701392395dfc37a483b0c164b33b6cc0.jpg

Thank you for the info! I'm starting to understand a little better.

I started in a 20 button (German made) concertina.. and managed to eventually find over 200 pieces I could use on it; a lot needed transposing or altering to fit the range of that 20 button, but it was good skill to learn.. Later I moved onto 30 button, and the music multiplied phenomenally and I never looked back .. by several hundred  more possibilities ( music of all types)..within the hands with a few extra buttons! And Anglo style system both of them.

• Like 1

It is definitely a better choice than a 20b 😉

Having fun exploring C#...

But there will be some fingering gymnastic (comparing to a 26/30b) or playing CBED on the left side instead of right to access the C# fluently. Don't know if it makes sense.

And eventually some tune might be easier with that C# position ! But some will be harder…

• Like 1

In skilled hands it is also amazing how much music can be made and how well sounded on even 20 button alone; there's one particular individual on Con. net who contributes regularly playing 20 button concertina that shows it really does not have to limit the possibilities in the skilled hands and fingers!

Edited by SIMON GABRIELOW
  • Like 1

I will say 22 a good idea if budget restricted.  Even in the 30 button world, personally prefer a Jeffries layout to have push and pull C# notes. Not sure what a 26 button Jeffries has on the C#s, but think to play comfortably the concept of push and pull C# essential. Some tunes lend to a push, others a pull. The extra hardware on the bottom notes, and same for highest on right hand not essential to play most melodies in ITM. I do need low G or A through high C and C# though.