Thanks to all who shared and taugh me so much! Saved my bacon this night, read on!

Going out to the first 'session' since the lockdown, it was all Guitars, a couple of Harmonicas, a Bodhrawn, and a Tenor Banjo. The event was mostly songs going around a circle. But here is the catch, there were mics and an amp.

Now definitely was not pressing harder on my bellows, yet nevertheless on arriving home and doing a quick inspection, find ( Push )C 1 middle row RHS making a wee buzz, then later falling in pitch a wee bit. Check with Tuner App on my Phone, I have about 5 cent flat and an ugly sound against G 3 RHS. Too against the lower octave, very ugly!

So! with what is here about this topic, and some Harmonica tuning tools, took a few licks off the tip of the offending reed. Mind you, had to put it back into the box / try out 3 times, because the tuner ok'd my first go, though the pitch would drift down on a strong bellow ( home made tuning bench )press. On the second it looked right but sounded a wee bit flat, so did another two licks over the tip. Spot on with a soft bellow, slight lowering with a strong bellow but rock solid otherwise.

Back in the box this renewed 'C' is spot on with 'g' above, and the octave. It is dead on with draw 'C' LHS inside row.

Had I not been following here and reading your posts, would have had a very expensive repair.

So to the makers, and tweakers here, thank you each and all :0)

Happy festival weekend.

• Like 1

I fear that you may not have done any more that treat a symptom, odds are that there is a damaged (cracked) reed tongue. You may well find that the reed will start to flatten again, and again and again. I hope that my fears all ill founded.

Well done for having a go and getting your result

Dave

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, d.elliott said:

I fear that you may not have done any more that treat a symptom, odds are that there is a damaged (cracked) reed tongue. You may well find that the reed will start to flatten again, and again and again. I hope that my fears all ill founded.

Well done for having a go and getting your result

Dave

Thanks Dave, very useful reply.

When out had a wee look at it, did not detect anything unusual, but I am no expert. Suspect a bit of metal came off the heel end, its new, which flattened it. However that said, I've no idea where, or how, to get a replacement tongue if it does have a crack. Mention of which, how is a crack detected? besides the obvious close magnified image? Do you use a strong light? or xray?

21 hours ago, Alan Day said:

A cracked reed tongue usually the symptoms are a gradual flattening of the note.

Al

Thanks Alan.

When you say 'gradual', is it over a few minutes? or hours? or days/weeks of playing?