A tune called "Banks", have you heard of it? 

Anglogeezertoo

I'm always on the look out for new/different tunes and here's one called simply "Banks" that intrigues me.

It was collected in Durham by Alan Dyer, editor of The International Concertina Association magazine, and published in edition No. 339, 1986, P.12.

I can find no other references to it since then and I wondered if anyone here has come across it. 

For my own use I've transpose it into G & made some other small changes but here it is as published.  ....

Banks in Eb.pdf

and the abc.  ..

X:1
T:Banks
😄
C:Collected by Alan Dyer, editor of The International Concertina Association magazine, in Durham
C:and published in edition No. 339, 1986, P.12.
😄
M:4/4
L:1/8
K:Ebmaj
(3B,/2C/2D/2 | EG2(3B/2G/2E/2 DF2 (3A/2F/2D/2 | A,c2d/2e/2 =A/2B/2c/2B/2 _A/2G/2F/2E/2 |G,B2c A,c2d/2e/2 | D/2E/2F/2G/2 A/2F/2D/2E/2 EGE :|!
|:g/2>^f/2 | gEE (3g/2b/2g/2 fDD (3f/2g/2f/2 | ec2f/2e/2 d/2c/2B/2=A/2 Bf | D/2B/2f/2B/2 D/2B/2f/2B/2 E/2B/2g/2B/2 E/2B/2g/2B/2 |!
=A/2B/2c/2d/2 e/2c/2A/2c/2 B/2A/2B/2c/2 B/2_A/2G/2F/2 | E/2G/2B/2G/2 e/2G/2F/2E/2 D/2F/2B/2F/2 d/2F/2E/2D/2 |!
C/2E/2A/2E/2 c/2B/2A/2G/2 F/2G/2F/2E/2 D/2C/2B,/2A,/2 | G,/2E/2B/2E/2 G,/2E/2B/2E/2 A,/2E/2c/2E/2 A,/2E/2c/2E/2 | D/2E/2F/2G/2 A/2F/2D/2F/2 EGE :|!

Jake

Thank you, Takayuki YAGI, that’s it. 

It’s strange, how you can look for something for ages & ages and not find it, yet someone else goes straight to it!

I was searching again tonight and straight away I found two scores at Musescore.com ~ thats the strange way the web world works.

Jake

This tune is one of several I've tried to master on fiddle ( with little success ).  I view it as a benchmark tune for a high level of competence.  Perhaps the concertina will be more accommodating.....😏  Does anyone here play it?

21 hours ago, SIMON GABRIELOW said:

It looks very interesting, and in an unusual key of E flat, which should give it a particular character.

"Interesting" is a good word for it!  I find the placement of the rhythmical stresses very awkward.

The A part is 4 bars & the B part is 8 bars. 

So ... I've doubled the length of all the notes and inserted extra bar lines to give a tune with A = 8 bars & B = 16 bars. Now it doesn't look so intimidating.

I didn't want to be struggling with Eb either so I transposed it to G.

Here's the ABC :–

C:Collected by Alan Dyer, editor of The International Concertina Association magazine, in Durham

C:Possibly composed by Parazzotti, played by J.Scott Skinner and arranged by Gavin Geig;

C:see here :— https://www.abdn.ac.uk/scottskinner/display.php?ID=JSS0200

L:1/4

K:Gmaj

P:A

(3D/2E/2F/2 | GB2(3d/2B/2G/2 | FA2 (3c/2A/2F/2 | Ce2f/2g/2 | ^c/2d/2 e/2d/2 =c/2B/2 A/2G/2 |B,d2e | Ce2f/2g/2 | F/2G/2 A/2B/2 c/2A/2 F/2A/2 | GBG :|!

P:B

|:b/2>^a/2 | bGG (3b/2d'/2b/2 | aFF (3a/2b/2a/2 | ge2a/2g/2 | f/2e/2 d/2^c/2 da | F/2d/2 a/2d/2 F/2d/2 a/2d/2 | G/2d/2 b/2d/2 G/2d/2 b/2d/2 |! ^c/2d/2 e/2f/2 g/2e/2 c/2e/2 | d/2c/2 d/2e/2 d/2=c/2 B/2A/2 | G/2B/2 d/2B/2 g/2B/2 A/2G/2 | F/2A/2 d/2A/2 f/2A/2 G/2F/2 |! E/2G/2 c/2G/2 e/2d/2 c/2B/2 | A/2B/2 A/2G/2 F/2E/2 D/2C/2 | B,/2G/2 d/2G/2 B,/2G/2 d/2G/2 | C/2G/2 e/2G/2 C/2G/2 e/2G/2 | F/2G/2 A/2B/2 c/2A/2 F/2A/2 | GBG :|!

Here's the PDF :–

Banks G:1 Double.pdf

Cheating? Perhaps, but life's too short to struggle.

Jake

I was mildly intrigued by this one too.

This is what I did to the original:

got rid of the end-of-line '!'s

edited the L:1/8 to L:1/4

inserted a Q:240

doubled the note length within EasyABC

inserted a few blank spaces to improve 'readability'

I stuck with the original key...

This is what I ended up with:

%A slightly tidied-up and modified version of the original ABC code - March 2023
Q:1/4=240
K:Ebmaj
(3B,CD | E2 G4 (3BGE D2 F4 (3AFD | A,2 c4 de =ABcB _AGFE | G,2 B4 c2 A,2 c4 de | DEFG AFDE E2 G2 E2 :|
|: g>^f | g2 E2 E2 (3gbg f2 D2 D2 (3fgf | e2 c4 fe dcB=A B2 f2 | DBfB DBfB EBgB EBgB | =ABcd ecAc BABc B_AGF | 
EGBG eGFE DFBF dFED | CEAE cBAG FGFE DCB,A, | G,EBE G,EBE A,EcE A,EcE | DEFG AFDF E2 G2 E2 :|

This retains the original bar structure, and 'cleans'/'tidies' it up a little - but the bar-lines are wrong. I don't know how musically 'legitimate' all this is, or how to resolve the 'missing bar-lines' aspect, but it sounds the same as the original on playback, and (to my eye) it looks 'simpler', and is easier to 'read' than the original?

Edited by lachenal74693

Later: I found a version in Gmaj on the  Rude Mechanicals web-site:

X:797
%A lightly edited tune from the Rude Mechanicals tune library: www.rudemex.co.uk
Q:1/4=130
K:Gmaj
(3DEF |: "G" G2 B4 (3dBG | F2 "D7" A4 (3cAF | "C" C2 e4 fg | "A7" ^cded "D7" =cBAG |
"G" B,2 d4 e2 | "C" C2 e4 fg | "D7" FGAB cAFA |1 "G" G2 B2 G2 (3DEF :|2 "G" G2 B2 G2 b>^a |]
|: "G" b2 B2 B2 (3bag | "D" a2 F2 F2 (3aba | "A7" g2 e4 ag | "D" fed^c d2 a2 |
"D" Fdad Fdad | "G" Gdbd Gdbd | "A7" ^cdef gece | "D" d^cde "D#7" d=cBA |
"G" GBdB gBAG | "D" FAdA fAGF | "C" EGcG edcB | "A7" ABAG "D7" FEDC |
"G" B,GdG B,GdG | "C" CGeG CGeG | "D7" FGAB cAFA |1 "G" G2 B2 G2 b>^a :|2 "G" G2 B2 G2 |]

The bar-lines seem to be correct in this one (cf. what I posted earlier)...

Edited by lachenal74693

That's the one.

Thank you, and with very little creative switching/cheating, the buttons are all under "appropriate"  fingers.

Handy enough on a n'Anglo,

I'd like to hear Mr. Thoumire playing it.

Anyone got a link to his version ?

5 hours ago, jim troy said:

...with very little creative switching/cheating, the buttons are all under "appropriate"  fingers...

Aye. I ran it past my automagic tabbing program, and assuming you are using a G/D instrument,

only the a-sharps needed to be played on the accidentals row - though I haven't tried it myself,

and the fingering I generate isn't 'optimised'...

It's a tune by J. Scott Skinner. It was printed in the book 'The Scottish Violinist' - along with a lot of other very good tunes, but ones often not easy to play! His recording was included on the Topic L.P. 'The Strathspey King'. 

The recording, and the an image of a manuscript of the tune, also feature on the Scott Skinner website of Aberdeen University.

Edited by LesJessop
add extra information

I remembered the composition of this tune being ascribed to "Parazotti" on a Joe Cormier album.  This is discussed in thesession.org link for the tune, above.  It's a steep hill to climb for a fiddler in any case.

Mr Lachenal, I am using an Anglo C/G Lachenal,  supplied by Mr Chambers,  

This tune  may be difficult, on fiddle, not impossible, and it's actually great craic.

pleasantly surprised to find, the tune, for me, is playable, on Concertina.

Here is the Staff Notation of the tune, having run Mr Lachenal's  post, through

Jens Wollschläger's ABC-Transposer

(danke sehr, Jens)

The Banks Hornpipe.PNG

> ...I am using an Anglo C/G Lachenal...

In which case, I guess you are playing the c-sharps on the accidental row as well? I only mentioned a G/D because that's my 'main squeeze'...😊. I tried the first few bars the other day, not much progress so far...☹️

It's my very first concertina that's called Lachenal, not me. I am usually referred to as 'that bloody Roger....😊

Edited by lachenal74693