I Am In Layout Hell!

Hello, my name is Phil and I'm a Key-Changing Addict...

It all started innocently enough. Got a nice C/G Lachenal about 7 years ago, started taking Noel's workshop* a bit after that, ordered a Dipper, and then starting messing with my Lachenal's R. Accidental row one reed at a time (influenced by Dipper's County Clare scheme, Noel's default Jeffries-style handouts and possibly Satan). Years later, I have ended up with this:

(L to R push/pull) C#/C# F#**/D# G#/A# C#/D# A/D

This seems to work well for me for most of the tunes and keys I've undertaken, but here's the rub:

Have I spent all this time building bad habits? Not that it's been offered, but I doubt I could pick up any other Anglo and play it. Since I've been in a dry spell for a while and haven't played that much, I'm wondering if I shouldn't just call Dipper and have him revert the one a-buildin'*** to a straight Jeffries layout and then ship my puppy back to the Button Box (again!) for the same thing.

What say you?

*Oregon NHICS people: I'm not dead - just broke! Will miss seeing you again this year.

**That the same F# as the 1st button on the R. G row.

***He says it will be ready in September, but then he says a lot of things and then never calls me in the morning. :(

Interesting question. My own personal feeling, FWIW, is that the core 30 butttons should correspond to one of the main system, but any buttons beyond that are fair game. Thus my Dipper on order will be Jeffries layout but will have a couple of extra buttons that, for instance, duplicate the left hand D/E on the right hand (it's a G/D). However I'm not speaking ex cathedra here. Plenty of players in the past have taken your line. I would just say: do what feels comfortable for you.

Chris

Edited to add PS - if Colin says it will be ready in September I would strongly recommend you don't make changes at this late stage.

Edited by Chris Timson

Hello, my name is Phil and I'm a Key-Changing Addict...

...I have ended up with this:

(L to R push/pull) C#/C# F#**/D# G#/A# C#/D# A/D

This seems to work well for me for most of the tunes and keys I've undertaken, but here's the rub:

Have I spent all this time building bad habits? Not that it's been offered, but I doubt I could pick up any other Anglo and play it.

If the "borrowing" issue hasn't caused you problems so far, I think you shouldn't worry about it.

And if you've spent seven years developing a layout that you feel works better for you than the standard ones and (presumably) some years waiting for your new "main squeeze", do you really want it to something "less" than what you've become comfortable with?

You should decide what is more important to you, being able to play someone else's instrument, or being as comfortable as possible playing your own. And note that even if you choose one of the standard layouts, you will still encounter others' instruments that will be differet, e.g., the other standard. In any case, you will either learn to play whatever you are handed, though probably not as fluently as your own, or you simply won't bother.

As for changing your order with Colin, you could of course ask him, "If I switch my order at this point to one of the standard layouts, would that delay its delivery or increase its price?"

There are other considerations too. Besides it being hard for you to try other people's boxes, they have a tough time trying yours too. There's also the issue of that happens when your box moves on.... It's our experience that non-typical keyed boxes take longer to sell and don't fetch as much. Much longer and much less.

We've had some non-standard boxes for years which have gone out on perusal (people excited about the quality and availability) to be returned time after time.... Each time it comes back we either kick ourselves for buying the non-standard or - more recently (because we're reticent to take on non-standardly ones) - the owner of the box (because we've been doing more consignments sales with non-standards) ends up reducing the price yet again in order to move it.

Besides it being hard for you to try other people's boxes, they have a tough time trying yours too.

Absolutely. Some might consider that a disadvantage. Others might consider it an advantage. B)

There's also the issue of that happens when your box moves on....

This is also true. But how many people getting a new Dipper today seriously anticipate selling it... ever?

Clearly there are various factors to consider, and only Phil can decide which of them matter most to him.

I've found the fact that I play a completely custom layout to be of enormous financial benefit.

It keeps me from the temptations of all the lovely instruments that pop up for sale from time to time. Anything I get has to be full custom.

--Dave

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

What I did is send my Lachenal back to the BBox to get reasonably close to Dipper's "Co Clare" right accidental row layout and then bit the bullet and sent off a note to the Big Dipper to do the same.

So what I'll have is C#/C# F#*/Eb G#/G C#/Bb A/D

* same as the right hand F# on the Lachenal, maybe the same as the suggested left hand F# on the Dipper if it isn't too late.

I know this will delay the Dipper, but I feel like the Count of Monte Cristo already - a little longer won't kill me. Also, I'll have a brief period while the Lach is in the shop to hopefully forget some of the bad habits I've acquired. Then I can tackle a reasonably standard format.

Onward and upward.

B)