Right hand buttons keep sticking

I'm a newbie with the concertina, and purchased a Stagi 20 button Anglo, and am learning how to make it work. My main problem is that the buttons on the right side keep sticking and have to have an assertive pop to make them come back out properly. I got this concertina at a very good price, and except for the sticking problem I really like it to learn on. Does anyone have a simple solution to this, or should I consider buying a better beginners model? Thanks, in advance.

Maybe there’s some wear in the supports under the buttons, so they are a bit ‘floppy’. I think there are some threads in Concertina.net about this problem but I’m not very good at finding past discussions.
Whereabouts are you based?
Peter

I know this problem as my Bastari has the same issue. If you are handy it is easily solved. The buttons are attached using rubber tubing which degrades over time. Replacement silicone tubing should last longer.

Open the instrument up and one at a time, remove a button, scrape off the old brittle tubing and replace with new. Use silicone tubing: 1/8" inside diameter/1/4" outside diameter. You can probably find this at a good hardware store or Amazon. When cutting it to length, you want the button to be snug on the arm, but it needs to be able to wiggle back-and forth a bit so the button doesn't jam in the hole. Usually around 1.8" or a bit more is about the right length. Be careful that the tubing doesn't catch on any adjacent arms, trimming as required.

I have my much treasured concertina Hohner branded Anglo ( made in Italy by Stagi).. it has 30 buttons, but when new particularly had those sticking button issues. Over time with use it gradually did it less often, because I did apply some silicone lubricant on a fine brush to the lever mechanism inside, and this freed up that issue. They do have small rubber tubes under each button which is used to cushion the buttons. 

Buttons can tend to go off line now and again with use, and eventually you can make your own adjustments to them, add new bits like fine tubing, or replace button etc.. 

Keep all your spares ( buttons and parts) in case you need them in future, don't throw them away.

Take care if opening up because there's screws and they need to be carefully put back in right place without being off line.

They need working in a lot when new, and seem to then adapt to your own hand finger pressure.

Although people do crticise them a lot; never the less, if they have Italian produced reeds, and are a few years old) all I can say is that  I have owned my one for 24 plus years and like it very much🌝

Edited by SIMON GABRIELOW

Here is my own diagram drawn with text made for explaining to people generally  - inside a concertina [ of that make] so that they could see how they are made inside. It will give a brief idea of what is inside [ it is showing 30 button mechanism] yours will have twenty.

info sheet concertina interior.jpg

Thank you so much, everyone, for this expert advice. I bought my 20 button Stagi used from someone who bought it new but gave up trying to learn it. I'll try to work up the courage to take it apart. It seems to be held together with small tacks rather than bolts or screws. Has anyone had any experience using The Concertina Maintenance Manual by David D. Elliott?

Jody's method of sorting out the problematic buttons works well. I have used it in the past.

If you are concerned about removing the pins (& understandably so), there may be someone on concertina.net or a repairer who lives near you who could help.

Peter

It may be possible, perhaps, to replace pins in time with screws fine enough to do the job ( only a guess, as I have no image of your concertina to say for definite the construction method). Things can often be adapted, to make them easier to maintain. But if you are uncertain then do get hold of a music instrument person to enquire more... And you can learn by watching how they ( solve the issue) etc..

Edited by SIMON GABRIELOW

They are not a tack, but rather a smooth pin that goes through the frame into a corresponding hole in the bellows frame. They are held in with a friction fit.  I find the pins are easier to deal with than the wood screws that are sometimes used to hold the ends on cheaper instruments.  Accordion techs have a special set of pliers to pull these pins, but a set of wire cutting pliers (the type with the jaws perpendicular to the handles) work well if you use them carefully.  I gently close the jaws behind the knob of the pin, and pull straight back to draw the pin out.  A tack puller can work well too, but you might want to put some masking tape down where you are levering the puller on the frame to protect the finish. Once all the pins are pulled the end should lift off.  You don't need to pull them completely out- just far enough to be clear of the interior hole.   

To get to the levers and buttons you usually have to remove a couple of small wood screws.  Typically they are driven at an angle through the edge of the action board into the end frame.  Take care with these- it's easy to chew up/strip the screw holes.  Then some gentle tugging should pull the action board out of the end frame.

You asked about Dave Elliott's book; it's a great resource for maintaining traditional English made instruments, or those built in that style, but of limited use for your type of concertina, since the reeds, action and bellows construction are all quite different.

Edited by Bill N
clarification
  • Like 1

Since this is a used instrument, give Jody’s suggestion a try. I have, however, personally experienced this on my first instrument which was a brand new 30 button Stagi. Within three months the instrument was unplayable. At the time Bob Tedrow had published a method for ‘hot rodding’ these instruments which was quite labor intensive and, in my case, only slightly improved the performance.  Ultimately, my solution was to get an instrument with a different type of action. 

On 3/7/2023 at 1:39 PM, Jody Kruskal said:

I know this problem as my Bastari has the same issue. If you are handy it is easily solved. The buttons are attached using rubber tubing which degrades over time. Replacement silicone tubing should last longer.

Open the instrument up and one at a time, remove a button, scrape off the old brittle tubing and replace with new. Use silicone tubing: 1/8" inside diameter/1/4" outside diameter. You can probably find this at a good hardware store or Amazon. When cutting it to length, you want the button to be snug on the arm, but it needs to be able to wiggle back-and forth a bit so the button doesn't jam in the hole. Usually around 1.8" or a bit more is about the right length. Be careful that the tubing doesn't catch on any adjacent arms, trimming as required.

A more detailed description of this process is at https://www.concertina.net/gs_stagirepair.html .

• 2 months later...

Hi. I got a pin puller and replaced the rubber tubing under the buttons with silicone and put it back together. Buttons still stick and it seems to be leaking air when I hold one end and let gravity work on it. But in the meanwhile I ordered a WrenII from McNeela and am pleased with it, and have been practicing and loving it. But I still would like to get my Stagi working. Can anyone recommend someone in the USA who repairs Stagis, preferably close to Missouri? Thanks to all for your help.

Given that the folks who fix these are pretty scattered in North America, Bob Tedrow counts as "close" in Birmingham, AL. He knows Stagis well and would make quick work of fixing it.

Ken