Got a new concertina! (Sherwood Flynn) from Hobgoblin

Congratulations Phillip on your new C/G Anglo. Sounds pretty good to me. 

Perhaps one reason you like your new box better is that it’s in better tune.

Maybe your clicking sound on low reed bellows reversal is a slow valve. Playing those notes using bellows articulation (load the bellows, then press the button) will improve that I bet. Replacing with better quality valves could help.

That button click you show us sounds like the lever is hitting something inside. I have had this problem too and improved it by attaching a bit of thin damping material like high density foam rubber where the noisy contact is made. Instead of hitting wood, the lever hits the foam and that strike is quieter.

One thing I’ve found is that many of these problems with a new instrument just go away with use.

Best of luck with your new toy!

Hi, Jody! Thanks

I went with C/G in the end because it ended up being the most practical for the stuff I want to play. I use it a lot when playing with the band. More videos to come on that. I find that the C/G isn't really that great for playing in the home key of C, funnily enough, because of a usable C chord only being available on the push, and an F on the pull, which is kinda stressful. It's great for playing in G though, and D as well. Especially now that I've gone over to playing more 5-chords (omitting the third) on the left hand side, as we have talked about before. Sounds cleaner. A G/D will have to come later I think.

Yeah, the tuning being better sure helps. It's got a lot more punch as well, which is great for the lilt! It's more tempting to pick this new one up and play with it. I think this will be good enough to last until I can get a "proper" concertina with concertina reeds.

I will have to work those bellows some more! They're starting to loosen up, which is good.

Hello Philip, is 'new' new to you, or newly manufactured? If the latter then talk to the manufacturer, certainly all notes should sound. The lower reeds may well continue decay in sound slightly on bellows reversal, they need to 'wind down'. Playing in will flex the valves and as Jody says many perceived faults will settle down, it is possible that the reeds will also settle in their natural voicing and sound better. I don't know where you are based, but there will probably be a repairer, or experienced player who can help you drop an end off and look about inside, should it become necessary.

Dave

• 1 year later...

Sounds ok to me.

Sometimes valves will make sounds, and then gradually stop causing issues with use. And you do not have to play loud all the time of course, ( as regards that Chinese one you show here).. And bellows will soften up in time as well, as it is a hide or skin and needs using to make it supple🌝