Back to concertina with Bach

soloduet

2 hours ago, soloduet said:

if you want to give it a try I can send the score that I've used for this recording.

Sure, it’s worth a try. I’m assuming it doesn’t extend beyond the range of a 46 (I didn’t pay THAT close attention). Thank you.

If you'd be kind enough to post the score, I'd very much like to give this something more than a try.  I have to say, soloduet, that in addition to your masterful musicianship, I've  admired the sound of your particular instrument  from the moment I first heard you play Roslin Castle ... and this sound played no small part in getting me to dive into the concertina realm. 

Edited by mandojoe
adjust

6 hours ago, David Barnert said:

I’m assuming it doesn’t extend beyond the range of a 46

It might be beyond the range of your bellows!

I've been inspired by Didie's playing - especially Roslin Castle. When I got my Peacock Hayden he kindly sent me the score to The Water is Wide. It has long slurred phrases and I keep running out of air from my merely 6-fold bellows.

8 hours ago, mandojoe said:

...from the moment I first heard you play Roslin Castle...

Ahh, memories.

Not to take anything away from Didie’s playing, but as far as I’ve been able to determine, the very first YouTube of a solo person playing a concertina in a self-made video was Danny Chapman (RatFace here on concertina.net) playing Roslin Castle in 2006.

On 3/3/2023 at 8:20 AM, David Barnert said:

I’m assuming it doesn’t extend beyond the range of a 46

3 hours ago, soloduet said:

Here are the scores

Yes, easily within range if (as your video illustrates) you play the left hand part up an octave.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's the tune in ABC format played by my ABC Transcription Tools with my sampled Concertina sounds:

If you'd like to try it for yourself in my ABC Tools, here's a link to the tune loaded and ready to play in the tool:

https://tinyurl.com/273hyrh9

If you want a copy of the ABC, it will be in the editor (close the player, close the full screen view).

You can even export your own PDF of it. Once in the editor, just click "Export PDF".

Edited by Michael Eskin

On 2/27/2023 at 1:44 PM, Steve Schulteis said:

Great playing, and wow can that extended bellows extend!

I'll echo the 'great playing' part.

The bellows are indeed remarkably extensive, and yet Didie manages only two bars before changing direction. My Holden Crane, which measures only 6 1/4" across the flats and has only six fold bellows, can manage four bars. What are other people's experiences?

LJ